Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LostLogik

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
With all this talk of TomTom I thought it was time to talk about something else. Probably be a dead thread as a result ;)

Anyway, I was wondering what people were using in the custom route profiles for CoPilot, as I'm pretty sure the default ones are lame. I'd be interested to know if anyone had any improvements for the default settings for Motorway/Dual Carriageway/Primary/Secondary/Local. I know I average more than 50 on motorways. But I've yet to find a good combination that gets me routes I expect.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Not sort of a dead thread thanks to a reply :p

I'm using CoPilot since I don't really drive that far always and looking at some reviews and the updates coming, I've finally took their bait. My route profile can be found here as well as other tips for the app.

I'm holding onto CoPilot once their update gets released.

LostLogik

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
My route profile can be found here as well as other tips for the app.

I'm holding onto CoPilot once their update gets released.

Unfortunately your link doesn't provide any detail of how you've altered the speeds for driving on the different road types. Yes, you've mentioned changing preferences but I'm interested to see how changing average speeds affects map routes.

I currently have
M'ways: 65
Dual Carriageways: 60
Primary: 30
Secondary: 20
Local: 10

But these don't seem to make any real difference to routing over the default. Also, I've noticed that the changes made to profiles don't seemed to be saved, despite "saving" them. ie if I relaunch CoPilot the custom profile has reverted back to default settings.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Unfortunately your link doesn't provide any detail of how you've altered the speeds for driving on the different road types. Yes, you've mentioned changing preferences but I'm interested to see how changing average speeds affects map routes.

I currently have
M'ways: 65
Dual Carriageways: 60
Primary: 30
Secondary: 20
Local: 10

But these don't seem to make any real difference to routing over the default. Also, I've noticed that the changes made to profiles don't seemed to be saved, despite "saving" them. ie if I relaunch CoPilot the custom profile has reverted back to default settings.

Hang on, do you have the CoPilot NA version or the UK one? I don't see those road types on mine (NA) and my custom profile gets saved. This app badly needs an update.

LostLogik

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
Hang on, do you have the CoPilot NA version or the UK one? I don't see those road types on mine (NA) and my custom profile gets saved. This app badly needs an update.

Sorry, yes, UK version. The ability to create custom profiles based upon YOUR chosen speeds rather than some manufacturer appealed to me. I've been fed up with GPS units that gave an arbitary ETA that often was no where near when I actually arrived. Being able to tinker with profiles made sense. But I'm surprised the NA version is that different from the UK version that you don't even have that option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.