PDA

View Full Version : How many HDs can a G4 tower power, & max HD size

jdl8422
Aug 20, 2009, 05:33 PM
I am looking to buy a used G4 Dual 1ghz M8667LL/A and use it as a file server. What is the max amount of hard drives the stock power supply can power? My plan is to have one internal as a boot drive then use a ESATA PCI card to power and external enclosure. The external enclosure will have 8 or so HDs and use a port multiplier to have one ESATA out to the G4. Is this computer capable and or powerful enough? I guess my main concern will be finding a ESATA card compatible with this computer. Thanks

Also, does anyone know of a power supply that can power multiple HDs without needing a motherboard?

Dr.Pants
Aug 20, 2009, 08:58 PM
I am looking to buy a used G4 Dual 1ghz M8667LL/A and use it as a file server. What is the max amount of hard drives the stock power supply can power? My plan is to have one internal as a boot drive then use a ESATA PCI card to power and external enclosure. The external enclosure will have 8 or so HDs and use a port multiplier to have one ESATA out to the G4. Is this computer capable and or powerful enough? I guess my main concern will be finding a ESATA card compatible with this computer. Thanks

Also, does anyone know of a power supply that can power multiple HDs without needing a motherboard?

I would imagine the computer is capable, but the main problem is the PCI connector which the eSATA board would be connected to; the bus can limit throughput. I'm not too familiar with 1GHz Dual, personally...

FOr your PSU, there are several creative options - the first is a secondary "optical bay" PSU that has relatively low power(400W, usually? Once again, not too familiar). The other option that I can think of is another regular power supply with some wires for the mobo connector soldiered together so that the two PSUs are wired in parallel. I think the Samsung guys did this for their 24-SSD machine that Tesselator showed a while back...

Darth.Titan
Aug 20, 2009, 09:13 PM
If you're using eSATA drives, the G4's PSU is irrelevant to how many drives you can use. eSATA does not provide power. Your external enclosure will need its own power supply.