PDA

View Full Version : FS: G3 iBook 800Mhz 640Mb no backlight

Flight16
Jun 25, 2004, 12:31 AM
SOLD

It's a second generation G3 with 640Mb of ram, 30 gig HD, airport card, and combo drive. It just doesn't have a back light that works. It comes with a bookendz, 10.3 and iLife '04 CDs. Other than the backlight on the LCD it works great. I have desktop spanning enabled via the firmware hack so you can use it as a regular desktop on up to a 1600x1200 at 85Hz, and the big resolution Apple displays.

I'm thinking of asking about $300 or $400 for it. What do you guys think? Anybody interested?

Robertk2012
Jun 25, 2004, 12:51 AM
Hey man Ill give you $250. Email me at rmk3@students.uwf.edu

Flight16
Jun 25, 2004, 12:56 AM
I'd say the Bookendz + panther + ilife '04 would be worth $100 or $150. Maybe I should sell those separate from the iBook since there's no working backlight? As for the iBook, it still works and the specs aren't terrible... I was thinking around $300... since it makes a perfectly good desktop.

Indohottie
Jun 25, 2004, 08:02 AM
PM Sent

MacsAreGod
Jun 25, 2004, 08:27 AM
on my ibook the same thing happened to me. it really sucked till my dad felt bad for me gave me his tibook and got a new aluminum powerbook. yoou should get it fixed it only costs like 150 and the yoou could sell it for like 800 bucks.

Flight16
Jun 25, 2004, 10:05 PM
yoou should get it fixed it only costs like 150.

It really costs $150 with no apple care or anything like that? I was thinking more along the lines of $200 or $300. Anybody else care to take a guess?

zimv20
Jun 25, 2004, 10:42 PM
that sounds like it's the logic board; similar thing happened to mine and apple fixed it for free.

$0

skyline2fast4u
Jun 25, 2004, 11:45 PM
i would give about 350

Flight16
Jun 26, 2004, 12:38 AM
It's not what's described here: http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/

And does it matter if I took it apart myself the first time to try to fix it?

zimv20
Jun 26, 2004, 01:41 AM
It's not what's described here: http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/

on mine, the backlight would go out if i opened the lid past 90 degrees. that's also not specifically mentioned, but when i called them to tell them he almost immediately told me they'd be sending me a box for the return.

it also fixed the problem i'd called earlier about -- when i closed the lid, the backlight didn't always go out. that time, i spent over an hour on the phone w/ a tech, trying to figure out why. i'd always suspected the logic board (they said no), but it's fixed now!

QCassidy352
Jun 26, 2004, 02:52 AM
that sounds like it's the logic board; similar thing happened to mine and apple fixed it for free.

$0

no, I don't think it sounds like the logic board. I had an ibook 600 that on which the backlight was dying (before I got it fixed). It was the wiring that runs from the computer, through the hinge, to the display. I had applecare, so apple fixed it for free; not sure what it would cost without applecare. With my display, it would go black whenever the display was adjusted, and it got worse and worse; had it gone much longer, I imagine it would have failed entirely.

zimv20
Jun 26, 2004, 03:09 AM
It was the wiring that runs from the computer, through the hinge, to the display.
that's what i thought was wrong w/ mine but called apple on a whim. turns out it was the logic board. go figure.

sandercox
Jun 26, 2004, 07:24 AM
It's definately the wireing. I've had it fixed but during the fix they broke the Airport cable (runs through at the same side of the hinge)... so they had to fix that one to...
Now a couple of months later I've got some weird stripes over the display (only when opening closing the LCD in some angles) it happend to be the last out of the three cables that runs through the hinge (LCD cable is on the other side, and my dealer says it's not warrented by the other fixes :( )
So I spended around 175 euro (excluding sales tax) to get it fixed, the first repair was only 75euro, they did a 50/50 deal on that.

It really is a problem with the iBook. I had mine around 1.5 years when the problems started appearing I've used the iBook every day very intensive but a laptop should be able to do that in my opinion. I think apple needs to have these repairs under warranty.

zimv20
Jun 26, 2004, 12:11 PM
Now a couple of months later I've got some weird stripes over the display
now, that _is_ a symptom of the logic board going bad. from here (http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/):

The Expanded iBook Logic Board Repair Extension Program covers iBooks that have a specific component failure on the logic board, resulting in the computer starting up but the built-in and attached external displays exhibiting one or more of the following symptoms:
Scrambled or distorted video
Appearance of unexpected lines on the screen
Intermittent video image
Video freeze
Computer starts up to blank screen

(emphasis mine)

sandercox
Jun 26, 2004, 12:33 PM
I know it are the symptoms but I've had my iBook at the dealer and they told me that the cable was broken just as what happend to the backlight.
Furthermore the dealer says it's not the logic board because it is not constant and only in specified angles of the screen that sounds more like a cable issue.

zimv20
Jun 26, 2004, 12:42 PM
as i said, i also thought my issue had to do w/ the cable. but apple replaced the logic board and the issue went away. if you don't feel like making the call, that's your choice. good luck.

MacsAreGod
Jun 27, 2004, 08:46 PM
first of all the ibook screen replacement only covers cerntain ibooks and secoond of all i will get you a link to a place that can fix it for pretty cheap. My dad said for like 250 they will look at the whole comp and replace all the bad parts and it will be good as new again.