Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California
I was just recently looking at my profile when I noticed that I have 408 posts, but if I click on "find all posts," it says there are 410, is there a reason why I'm missing two posts from my count?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
MacFan26 said:
I was just recently looking at my profile when I noticed that I have 408 posts, but if I click on "find all posts," it says there are 410, is there a reason why I'm missing two posts from my count?

If you've made posts in the political threads, they don't count toward your total.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I seem to remember that being stated in another thread, but I never saw an explanation as to why. Not that it matters, (I tend to read much more than I post) I was just curious as to why those were excluded. Any explanation given anywhere?

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
arn or Mr. A will tell you (and I'm actually trying to recall something that Mr. A said somewhere -- I refuse to search) that the focus of the forums is on Mac Rumors, not politics. In addition, most political topics end up in arguments or simply end up "going nowhere," filling up the political forum with posts that also "go nowhere." So posts in that section don't count.

Hell, go ask skunk. I've seen him post a lot in the political forums just by looking at the "Last post" column of the main forum page, though he doesn't have as many posts as you would expect. And since he's been active in the political forums for a long time now, he'll show you just what posts/threads demonstrate the "going nowhere" effect.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
there was a history of people coming to MR only to argue politics and spamming up the place. amid complaints (e.g. "you don't even have a mac" and "is this forum the only place you post?") and other considerations, the decision was made.

of course, one may argue that posts in the community forum shouldn't count, either. but i personally haven't made that argument :)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
zimv20 said:
there was a history of people coming to MR only to argue politics and spamming up the place. amid complaints (e.g. "you don't even have a mac" and "is this forum the only place you post?") and other considerations, the decision was made.

of course, one may argue that posts in the community forum shouldn't count, either. but i personally haven't made that argument :)

Back then, the posts were all in Community since there was no Political area so they were much more visible than they are now.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
bousozoku said:
Back then, the posts were all in Community since there was no Political area so they were much more visible than they are now.
that must have been before i was here.

iirc, it used to be the case that the political subjects were included w/ the community ones on the MR front page. that caused some complaints, too.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
the other problem is that it's terrifically easy to find things in the political forum to reply to, so someone that wants to jolt their postcount can just spend a day or two there arguing. admittedly i don't go into the political forum, because people don't listen, and it's exhausting. so maybe my opinion is skewed when i say, arn is right.

paul

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
paulwhannel said:
admittedly i don't go into the political forum, because people don't listen, and it's exhausting.
i find that if you put a couple select people on your ignore list, the signal to noise ratio increases greatly. good and informative discussion is a daily occurrence.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.