PDA

View Full Version : My WWDC Prediction: More .Mac Mail Storage

simply258
Jun 25, 2004, 08:03 AM
So I think all the possibilies of things being released are covered. But maybe the big surprise that no one expects is more storage for .Mac mail and maybe some other .Mac related things. What do you think ?

DGFan
Jun 25, 2004, 08:12 AM
So I think all the possibilies of things being released are covered. But maybe the big surprise that no one expects is more storage for .Mac mail and maybe some other .Mac related things. What do you think ?

It wouldn't surprise me if they talked about those things - but only in the context of Tiger. The info was on a Thinksecret article (I think) that Apple is planning a major upgrade of .Mac for Tiger.

Chip NoVaMac
Jun 25, 2004, 08:51 AM
And more iDisk space maybe?

wordmunger
Jun 25, 2004, 09:11 AM
My prediction: if .mac doesn't at least double its iDisk space by the time my subscription runs out, it will have one fewer subscriber.

zim
Jun 25, 2004, 09:27 AM
What is the anniversary date for .mac?

I hope that they do something, either mail space for both the primary accounts and secondary ones or (or also) up the iDisk amount.

The added free stuff is good but the mail and iDisk are the broccoli (vegetarian here) and potatoes of the account.

I would also love to see something more with iSync or something more to do with Backup, but as is I can't think of anything I would change about either of those applications. iSync alone, in my opinion, is one of the best features.

Not trying to turn this into a .mac debate, there is already a thread going on that.

whooleytoo
Jun 25, 2004, 09:28 AM
Crazy WWDC prediction #761: When Jaguar was the current OS, .Mac webmail had the 'pinstripe' look. When Panther was the current OS, .Mac webmail had the metallic look. Now Tiger is imminent, and .Mac webmail has a white ("Ivory"?) look?

Tiger to have an "Ivory" look 'n' feel?

Sabbath
Jun 26, 2004, 08:56 PM
Ive been wondering if they are going to start including .mac with Tiger, if they are to be stating better integration as I have heard somewhere and upping the retail price which I heard somewhere else, then maybe they are going to included it.

Many companies offer similar features to .mac at much lower prices (albeit not as easy to use), so can it really cost Appl enaywhere near how much they charge to offer it. However it is hard to see it shipping with new computers, or being wanted by upgrading business or education institutions so maybe it would only be on the consumer retail edition.

Doubtful I know.

Duff-Man
Jun 26, 2004, 10:53 PM
Duff-Man says...I am not sure we will see it at WWDC but .mac enhancements are a given in the near future. Apple is not stupid - they know that it has perhaps fallen behind the competition somewhat. Just as we always get computers with bigger hard drives and more ram, no doubt we will see more .mac mail space and bigger idisks as standard along with other stuff that they are not telling us about yet. Then again, with a recent article at Think Secret about a new .mac retail box, perhaps we will see what is new next week. If i recall correctly, they started charging for .mac a couple years ago on Oct 1 so they probably still have quite a large number of renewals due on that date....they would probably want to have the new enhancements/features available for a little while before that so the users get a taste for them, perhaps stay hooked and renew again...i know it will take a few good things to get me to renew now....oh yeah!

Dr. Dastardly
Jun 26, 2004, 11:28 PM
If Apple pulled a Gmail and gave us 1 gig of storage but for the idisk, I would buy .mac every year with no hesitation. I don't care about email space becasue I don't give it out to much and clean it regularly. But a gig of space for files and folders would be awsome.

And maybe doing something with it so I don't have to load an idisk utility on a pc to access it. Essentially I would like to be able to access most files on my computer from any computer I run across. I have no idea how they could do this but a man can dream.