PDA

View Full Version : A time for me to learn new apps? Opinions welcome.

AforAndromeda
Aug 21, 2009, 10:12 AM
:confused:

Hi Guys,

I've been using a PC + Mbox Pro 2 +Audigy and a smattering of ProTools 7 lite (overkill) in order to record sound I mix live to 2 channels and record on the PC.

The time I think has come for me to make a change from PC to Mac (for the first time) and get a MacbookPro, plus some new stuff.

That means re-learning. It's true I'm motivated - and that will help, but there's a lot of learning ahead.
It is also true to say that I realise I'm getting left behind with developments and so I'm contemplating spending dosh both on equipment and training (or if broke to Reading the manual... )

The problem is, I guess that for the type of stuff I do : part time / Church / group / small stuff it probably is not sensible to just throw money at it, or throw all that learning away by completly starting again, so I'm planning to stay with Audition (Mac) and Mbox2.

The only other thought I had was to get to a place where say I can make 8-12 connections can be made to a Analogue to digital converter, and this connects to MBP. All recording and mixing can then be done totally on MBP using new or old software.

But rather than me just go ahead blindly, I'm first going to check out some of the suppliers in London that do semi pro stuff. Get some GOOD advice.
The problem is that (of course) they want the money - but I want ideas at this point.

Finally, I want to use the MBP as a working laptop :-). It needs to do other stuff apart from the sound.

So there we are.
I would be grateful for any of your thoughts / comments on my approach. Maybe you've been here? Maybe you' know a friend who's made the wrong decision.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers
:)

AforAndromeda

ChrisA
Aug 21, 2009, 11:09 AM
:confused:

Hi Guys,

I've been using a PC + Mbox Pro 2 +Audigy and a smattering of ProTools 7 lite (overkill) in order to record sound I mix live to 2 channels and record on the PC.

The time I think has come for me to make a change from PC to Mac (for the first time) and get a MacbookPro, plus some new stuff.

That means re-learning. It's true I'm motivated - and that will help, but there's a lot of learning ahead.
It is also true to say that I realise I'm getting left behind with developments and so I'm contemplating spending dosh both on equipment and training (or if broke to Reading the manual... )

The problem is, I guess that for the type of stuff I do : part time / Church / group / small stuff it probably is not sensible to just throw money at it, or throw all that learning away by completly starting again, so I'm planning to stay with Audition (Mac) and Mbox2.

The only other thought I had was to get to a place where say I can make 8-12 connections can be made to a Analogue to digital converter, and this connects to MBP. All recording and mixing can then be done totally on MBP using new or old software.

But rather than me just go ahead blindly, I'm first going to check out some of the suppliers in London that do semi pro stuff. Get some GOOD advice.
The problem is that (of course) they want the money - but I want ideas at this point.

Finally, I want to use the MBP as a working laptop :-). It needs to do other stuff apart from the sound.

So there we are.
I would be grateful for any of your thoughts / comments on my approach. Maybe you've been here? Maybe you' know a friend who's made the wrong decision.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers
:)

AforAndromeda

Start slower. Don't go for 12 track recording at the start. Start with one or two mics. You can learn the software with the simplest setup just a mic run to some kind of mixer or preamp and then the the Mac's line in jack. After getting a minimal capability like that add one thing at a time.

Start with the free software Apple supply with the Mac. GarageBand. Even if you decide later you want somethig more sophisticated using Garage Band will teach you how audio and midi is handled on Mac OS X. After playing with GB you will know enough to mae a better informed decision about what software you really want. And it just may be GB. Use GB with the internal built-in mic. Quality is poor but you can see how it works.

You are right the sales people will see that you know nothing, ask you your budget then sell you that amount of gear wetter you need it or not. Best to go to them with a very specific problem ("I'm uses an XX mic and acoustic guitar sounds thin, I want a warmer sound") But if you ask "I need to do 12 track recording" you have no way to know if they are giving you want.

As for getting used to a new operating system. Most people adapt very quickly, some even take no time at all. The key is not not try and look for an exact click per click windows analogy.

Much of what you learned about Windows does not apply. Anti-virus, reinstalling the OS periodically, registry, and so on. All these are non-issues

deej999
Aug 21, 2009, 01:32 PM
Start slower. Don't go for 12 track recording at the start. Start with one or two mics. You can learn the software with the simplest setup just a mic run to some kind of mixer or preamp and then the the Mac's line in jack. After getting a minimal capability like that add one thing at a time.

Start with the free software Apple supply with the Mac. GarageBand. Even if you decide later you want somethig more sophisticated using Garage Band will teach you how audio and midi is handled on Mac OS X. After playing with GB you will know enough to mae a better informed decision about what software you really want. And it just may be GB. Use GB with the internal built-in mic. Quality is poor but you can see how it works.

You are right the sales people will see that you know nothing, ask you your budget then sell you that amount of gear wetter you need it or not. Best to go to them with a very specific problem ("I'm uses an XX mic and acoustic guitar sounds thin, I want a warmer sound") But if you ask "I need to do 12 track recording" you have no way to know if they are giving you want.

As for getting used to a new operating system. Most people adapt very quickly, some even take no time at all. The key is not not try and look for an exact click per click windows analogy.

Much of what you learned about Windows does not apply. Anti-virus, reinstalling the OS periodically, registry, and so on. All these are non-issues

I completely agree. Every new Mac comes with iLife. This includes Garageband which is a very easy and good place to start when recording, editing and mixing on a Mac. Play around with it and see whether you need more. At some point in the future you can think about Logic Studio which is priced in a similar price point to Audition.

Adjusting to life using a Mac is an enjoyable experience for most switchers. It is easier to set up and more stable than the majority of PC's is my experience.

If you really need 12 inputs for 12 instrument simultaneous recording then consider interfaces by Echo Audiofire, Presonus, MOTU, RME, Apogee.

Building up your studio equipment over time will give you a better idea for what you really need to use when you need it rather than splashing money blindly on the word a salesman.

One resource I do recommend a lot for new and experienced users is www.macprovideo.com
They do video tutorials for Garageband, OSX, Logic etc. These videos helped me learn and master different apps in no time and was money well spent!

deej

AforAndromeda
Aug 23, 2009, 03:47 PM

Thanks ChrisA,

That's really useful.

Appreciated.

AforAndromeda
Aug 23, 2009, 03:48 PM
I completely agree. Every new Mac comes with iLife. This includes Garageband which is a very easy and good place to start when recording, editing and mixing on a Mac. Play around with it and see whether you need more. At some point in the future you can think about Logic Studio which is priced in a similar price point to Audition.

Adjusting to life using a Mac is an enjoyable experience for most switchers. It is easier to set up and more stable than the majority of PC's is my experience.

If you really need 12 inputs for 12 instrument simultaneous recording then consider interfaces by Echo Audiofire, Presonus, MOTU, RME, Apogee.

Building up your studio equipment over time will give you a better idea for what you really need to use when you need it rather than splashing money blindly on the word a salesman.

One resource I do recommend a lot for new and experienced users is www.macprovideo.com
They do video tutorials for Garageband, OSX, Logic etc. These videos helped me learn and master different apps in no time and was money well spent!

deej

Thanks DeeJ

That's really useful.

Appreciated.