PDA

View Full Version : installing os x on a powerbook G3 lombard

gak94
Aug 21, 2009, 10:37 AM
Im having trouble with an old powerbook g3 lombard (bronze keyboard) (400MHz/1MB Cache/64MB/6GB HD/8MB Video/DVD)
i can turn it on and off no problem, but most of the software cannot be opened and i cant seem to get it on the internet at all
it did not come with an installation cd, so all i have is the laptop and charger
i do have the installation cd for Mac OSX 10.5.8 from my mac mini but i doubt the powerbook can handle it and i'm having trouble working out how to install it
any help on re-installing os 9 without the cd or installing osx, or even for getting it on the internet would be really appreciated
cheers

old-wiz
Aug 21, 2009, 10:42 AM
Leopard will not install on anything less than 867 mhz cpu and 256 mb (or is it 512) ram.

An install disk from another system will NOT work.

Hrududu
Aug 21, 2009, 02:22 PM
While 10.5 can be made to work on G4's that are less than 867MHz (the Apple system requirement) Leopard is not supported on the G3. It takes some serious work to make it happen, and honestly its not worth the trouble. Especailly since its not even a fast G3 and has a pretty weak graphics card. Find a retail copy of 10.4 Tiger on eBay or something and install that. 10.4 is still very well supported and will run the latest versions of Safari etc. Also, get some RAM in that thing. I wouldn't even run Mac OS 8.6 with only 64mb of RAM.

gak94
Aug 21, 2009, 07:09 PM
ta very much, ill get right on that