Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macfilm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
Hi, I've asked this on the Apple Discussions forum and so far had no clear answer.
I'm trying to crop a photo to be printed at 10x8 so that it does not auto crop when I order prints and not have them exactly as I want.
Problem is when in either app I click the crop button and select 10x8 but it just gives me a fixed square frame, now clearly a 10x8 is not square its more rectangle so what's the deal with that?? Cropping a 4x6 for example is fine, never had any problems but why is the 10x8 frame simply not a 10x8 frame size, why square??

Cheers

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
Hi, I've asked this on the Apple Discussions forum and so far had no clear answer.
I'm trying to crop a photo to be printed at 10x8 so that it does not auto crop when I order prints and not have them exactly as I want.
Problem is when in either app I click the crop button and select 10x8 but it just gives me a fixed square frame, now clearly a 10x8 is not square its more rectangle so what's the deal with that?? Cropping a 4x6 for example is fine, never had any problems but why is the 10x8 frame simply not a 10x8 frame size, why square??

Cheers

I don't use iphoto, so can't help you there.

In aperture, just hit the "c" and you'll get the crop tool. Set the aspect (8x10 is a standard option) and then click with the mouse and drag the rectangle to get what you want. You can move it around and drag it further as you desire, but it will stay at that aspect. Hit return when done. Simple, really.

davegregory

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2009
Burlington, Ontario
You're right I just tried it and it does screw up. But I found a way to fix it (by accident) once you choose custom from the crop box and you enter 10x8, then try to draw the crop box on the photo, if it's not correct, click in the crop dialogue box again where you entered the number "10" and it should fix the crop ratio. I've never noticed it before. Just so you know though, you can choose the 4x5 preset and it will automatically switch to 5x4 (same as 10x8) in landscape photos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.