PDA

View Full Version : Student Discount

KiDrOck80
Jun 25, 2004, 10:09 AM
Are there any special qualifications to obtain the students discount, besides being a student?

Ozi
Jun 25, 2004, 10:20 AM
Yeah if you are a teacher, or if you work for an academic institution, you are eligible. IE. I am a uni student, so I am elgible. But my dad is really high up in Monash University Information Technology Services, so he is eligible, as are any primary school, secondary school or university teachers and lecturers.

I believe that it applies to anyone in the field of education.

~ozi

Grimace
Jun 25, 2004, 10:20 AM
Are there any special qualifications to obtain the students discount, besides being a student?

Sometimes Apple will ask to see a college ID - othertimes - not. That's about it. :p

CubaTBird
Jun 25, 2004, 10:21 AM
Who is Eligible To Purchase
The following education individuals are eligible to purchase through the Apple Store for Education individuals:

Employee of public or private K-12 institutions in the United States
School Board members who are currently serving as elected or appointed members
PTA or PTO executives currently serving as elected or appointed officers
Qualified homeschools
Employee of a public or private, profit or non-profit preschool

Qualifying purchases per academic school year (July 1 - June 30):
Power Mac, iMac, eMac, PowerBook, or iBook - One per year
Printers - One per year
Displays - Two per year
Software - Two per year

goodwill
Jun 25, 2004, 10:34 AM
When I purchased my Powerbook at the Apple Store, they asked for my student I.D and made a copy of it as well.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 25, 2004, 10:55 AM
What do they do for online purchases?

D

michaelrjohnson
Jun 25, 2004, 11:06 AM
What do they do for online purchases?

D

Nothing. It's an honesty policy. (But they go back and audit too, so dont' lie)

goodknight411
Jun 25, 2004, 11:11 AM
i just used the Ed. discount online (yesterday) and so far apple hasn't asked me to verify that i'm eligible or anything like that. They've already processed the order so i'm guessing they won't ask.

tech4all
Jun 25, 2004, 07:46 PM
Qualifying purchases per academic school year (July 1 - June 30):
Power Mac, iMac, eMac, PowerBook, or iBook - One per year
Printers - One per year
Displays - Two per year
Software - Two per year

I just bought a G5 a few weeks ago with the educational discount. So on July 1st I could buy another Power Mac (not that I am ;) ) and get the educational discount?

Chip NoVaMac
Jun 25, 2004, 08:10 PM
I just bought a G5 a few weeks ago with the educational discount. So on July 1st I could buy another Power Mac (not that I am ;) ) and get the educational discount?

It seems that way. Had a friend do that from the Apple retail store, no questions were asked.

musicpyrite
Jun 25, 2004, 08:11 PM
I believe that it applies to anyone in the field of education.

~ozi

I know it applies to teachers and university student, but doest it apply to students in grads K-12?

KiDrOck80
Jun 25, 2004, 08:21 PM
thats what im tryin to find out...because im going to be a Senior next year.. and if i can get a discount now.. i will buy a PB..or else i will have to wait until i go to college

brap
Jun 25, 2004, 08:32 PM
Nothing. It's an honesty policy. (But they go back and audit too, so dont' lie)
When I bought my last iBook, Apple phoned my University, my folks, and they phoned me. They wanted copies of application and acceptance documents faxing to them. Damn right watch your ass!

Doctor Q
Jun 26, 2004, 12:28 AM
The discount does not apply to high school students. I know because I goofed when replying to this question in a previous thread. I found later that I was wrong and was so ashamed that I ate a Twinkie to punish myself. High school and university faculty and staff are eligible, and so are university students, but not high school students. You could sign up for one summer school course at your local college and qualify, but otherwise you aren't yet eligible, KiDrOck80.

upperblue79
Jun 26, 2004, 12:44 AM

I bought a dual g4 867 in October '02 on education discount, and in march '03 I bought my 12" powerbook on education discount. I didn't know at the time it was one per year, but apple didn't say anything to me.

Abstract
Jun 26, 2004, 01:13 AM
That's because you can buy one of each. You can buy 1 desktop for the year and a laptop if you wish, but not 2 desktops. I'm not sure if that means that you can't buy a G5 PM and an eMac, but as a general explanation, you can buy one per year of whatever you're buying. That means only one iPod, for example.

The other explanation is that they didn't check. ;)

@Brap: This is the first time I have ever heard of someone being checked by Apple.

An alternative to lying about it is to enroll in a cheap class at a community college that's recognized by Apple on their website, and then buy a G5 PM that way. It may not be worth it if all you're buying is an iBook or 12" PB, but on larger purchases, you'd save heaps of money.

oreo
Jun 26, 2004, 09:06 AM
I wasn't asked for any kind of ID or confirmation that I was student, when I ordered from Apple

Chip NoVaMac
Jun 26, 2004, 10:34 AM
That's because you can buy one of each. You can buy 1 desktop for the year and a laptop if you wish, but not 2 desktops. I'm not sure if that means that you can't buy a G5 PM and an eMac, but as a general explanation, you can buy one per year of whatever you're buying. That means only one iPod, for example.

The other explanation is that they didn't check. ;)

@Brap: This is the first time I have ever heard of someone being checked by Apple.

An alternative to lying about it is to enroll in a cheap class at a community college that's recognized by Apple on their website, and then buy a G5 PM that way. It may not be worth it if all you're buying is an iBook or 12" PB, but on larger purchases, you'd save heaps of money.

Thats only if you find no value in the class that you are taking at the community college. Most community colleges have at least some classes that you will find informative.

KiDrOck80
Jun 26, 2004, 04:28 PM
This is what it says when i selected my College....

Who is Eligible To Purchase
The following education individuals are eligible to purchase through the Apple Store for Education individuals:

Faculty or staff member of a public or private Higher Education Institution in the United States
Student currently attending or accepted into a public or private Higher Education Institution in the United States

^^^ i guess that settles it

FuzzyBallz
Jun 26, 2004, 08:36 PM
When I bought my last iBook, Apple phoned my University, my folks, and they phoned me. They wanted copies of application and acceptance documents faxing to them. Damn right watch your ass!
Damn, talk about loosing your privacy and more power to the stalkers. Hell, I'll call my University's admissions office so to get some cute chick's number and home addy.

FuzzyBallz
Jun 26, 2004, 08:38 PM
I wasn't asked for any kind of ID or confirmation that I was student, when I ordered from Apple
It's random.

brap
Jun 26, 2004, 08:45 PM
Damn, talk about loosing your privacy and more power to the stalkers. Hell, I'll call my University's admissions office so to get some cute chick's number and home addy.
Hehe... I didn't say the University actually gave them my number :D
The Apple employee moaned because she wanted to get hold of me on a land line, and was hoping they'd put me through. Hello?! I live in halls?!