PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading a G4 PowerMac (Mirror Doors)

MacFanUK
Aug 21, 2009, 02:00 PM
I've just bought a 1.25GHz G4 PowerMac with Mirror Doors off eBay and I was just wondering if it will have space for a second CPU or not?

Also, what's the best upgrade(s) to get the most performance out of it as an iTunes/File server?

Hrududu
Aug 21, 2009, 02:14 PM
It will hold 2Gb of PC2700 RAM and up to 4 internal hard drives. As far as CPU goes, I believe the MDD can be upgraded to dual CPU's if you get one out of another MDD.

lannister80
Aug 21, 2009, 03:26 PM
Yes, you can upgrade a single-proc MDD to a dual if:

1) You can find a dual-proc daughter card on eBay.
2) You can find a dual-proc heatsink on eBay.

Look on xlr8yourmac for instructions, it'll involve flaking an extremely tiny resistor or two off the motherboard.

MacFanUK
Aug 21, 2009, 04:53 PM
...it'll involve flaking an extremely tiny resistor or two off the motherboard.

Thanks. I think I'll leave it. I think a single processor will be good enough for what I need :)

lannister80
Aug 27, 2009, 08:56 AM
Thanks. I think I'll leave it. I think a single processor will be good enough for what I need :)
It's getting to the point where upgrading G4 PowerMacs just isn't worth it anymore. Grab a Mini and a few external hard drives and you'll have more computing power by a long shot.

My MDD lives in the basement serving media via gig-E to my Mac Mini "head unit" in my living room. Mac Pro is main machine now, only about 30x faster than the old MDD.