PDA

View Full Version : That 1TB hard drive may be plenty now, but in another three ...

MacBytes
Aug 21, 2009, 07:39 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: That 1TB hard drive may be plenty now, but in another three years… (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20090821203911)
Description:: Remember when a 250GB hard drive seemed so big that you’d never fill it up? I do (but then I remember Apple’s eWorld, too, so that dates me). Well, those days are over.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

McShizzel
Aug 21, 2009, 07:48 PM
That's pretty obvious.

GoCubsGo
Aug 21, 2009, 07:52 PM
I agree.

dukebound85
Aug 21, 2009, 07:54 PM
duuuuuuur

though my dad told me when he bought a computer in the 80s that a hdd of like 50mb or so was sooooo huge, you would never fill it up lol

r.j.s
Aug 21, 2009, 07:59 PM
Three years?

IMO, 1TB will probably be the smallest drive you can get.

mkrishnan
Aug 21, 2009, 08:05 PM
This Macsimumnews site seems kind of like that in general... they had a guide to differentiating models of Macbook Air that essentially consisted of, "The original MBA has a micro DVI port and the revisions have MDP."

I wonder though how this Parks Associates measures the average amount of digital content in a home -- what counts? Just stuff on PCs, or what about a stack of PS3 games? Do they count your stack of DVDs as digital content? Similarly I wonder what was projected to account for the tripling of digital content in the home... buying digital video certainly blows up the content in the home, but it seems like iTunes and Amazon and the others are not really achieving the kind of success that would account for this.

PlaceofDis
Aug 21, 2009, 08:15 PM
This Macsimumnews site seems kind of like that in general... they had a guide to differentiating models of Macbook Air that essentially consisted of, "The original MBA has a micro DVI port and the revisions have MDP."

I wonder though how this Parks Associates measures the average amount of digital content in a home -- what counts? Just stuff on PCs, or what about a stack of PS3 games? Do they count your stack of DVDs as digital content? Similarly I wonder what was projected to account for the tripling of digital content in the home... buying digital video certainly blows up the content in the home, but it seems like iTunes and Amazon and the others are not really achieving the kind of success that would account for this.

agreed. the proliferation of digital cameras certainly ups the usage, but thats tiny amounts of information. digital music has been around for awhile and while more and more people are moving to higher quality - which will eat up more space - that still wouldn't account for such a large amount of data.

as you suggest, digital videos may be the main reason, but even home movies, and purchases alike have seen slow growth.

Fiveos22
Aug 21, 2009, 08:34 PM
I'm sure my newly purchased 500 gb external HD will be just as spacious in three years as the 320 gb external HD it replaced (which lasted 3 years until hardware failure).

Sure, everything is increasing (storage capacity as well as content size) but 1TB will still be quite substantial in three years. Hell, I could probably still function on the 40 gb HD that came in my 2002 eMac (which, by the by is still working well with room to spare). Technology just isn't that fast.

mkrishnan
Aug 21, 2009, 08:55 PM
Sure, everything is increasing (storage capacity as well as content size) but 1TB will still be quite substantial in three years. Hell, I could probably still function on the 40 gb HD that came in my 2002 eMac (which, by the by is still working well with room to spare). Technology just isn't that fast.

See, it all depends on what you do. My iTunes library (99% music, not high bitrate) takes 30 gigs or so... Right now my main store of stuff is on an 80GB drive on my EeeBox... the big question for me is that I really like having rips of DVDs in VIDEO_TS format -- with menus and special features and stuff. Even if I shrink it 50% with DVDShrink, that's still 3.5GB or so for most discs... now my four seasons of 24 alone take up 7x4=28 discs ... that's 98GB just for that. So if I rip 24 and Office and L Word and Alias and the handful of movies (don't have that many movies)... then a 500GB drive will fill fairly quickly... but I kind of want to do this anyway.

LEStudios
Aug 21, 2009, 09:07 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3623/3617463238_eca557ede6_b.jpg

Dude, look at the pics! I got two 2TB external, one for Time Machine Backup of the other 2TB and Mac mini's 320GB HD; one for iTunes folder which it's currently 1.32TB in size because I have 179 Movies 7 are HD, 119 TV Shows including HD: 1,404 Episodes, 3765 Albums: 42,305 songs and 317 Music Videos!

With Season 4 HD, Heroes starting September 21, Smallville Season 9 HD, Stargate Universe HD in October, currently Defying Gravity HD and soon Caprica HD Season 1. I'm already looking to get two 4TB Western Digital My Book II Studios II External Hard Drives! :eek:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=621

ElijahPost
Aug 21, 2009, 09:28 PM
Im about to buy a 1.5TB drive to replace a WD drive half the size that I bought around 2 years ago.

Moore's law stated that computer data size doubles every 18 months. that's actually spot on for everything from storage to RAM. Things only get faster, and if 250GB was at the top 3 years ago, I would not be suprised if we were getting close to 8TB.

Today I found 3TB drives listed as "Coming soon"

mattwolfmatt
Aug 21, 2009, 09:53 PM
Was this article written by an 8th grader? Is he trying to impress us by saying "I remember when 250GB was so huge?" What, like 3 years ago?

I'm only 30 and I remember when 1.44MB disks were huge. It would take A LOT of word perfect documents to fill that thing up. And I'm only 30. I'm sure our 60 year old friends have some stories to tell about bits and bytes and all that.

LEStudios
Aug 21, 2009, 11:25 PM
Was this article written by an 8th grader? Is he trying to impress us by saying "I remember when 250GB was so huge?" What, like 3 years ago?

I'm only 30 and I remember when 1.44MB disks were huge. It would take A LOT of word perfect documents to fill that thing up. And I'm only 30. I'm sure our 60 year old friends have some stories to tell about bits and bytes and all that.

I'm 36 and I remember 5 1/4" Floppy Disks as well being in the 8th Grade when our school got the first Macintosh SE :rolleyes:

LEStudios
Aug 21, 2009, 11:29 PM
Im about to buy a 1.5TB drive to replace a WD drive half the size that I bought around 2 years ago.

Moore's law stated that computer data size doubles every 18 months. that's actually spot on for everything from storage to RAM. Things only get faster, and if 250GB was at the top 3 years ago, I would not be suprised if we were getting close to 8TB.

Today I found 3TB drives listed as "Coming soon"

So that means if Western Digital do that then 6TB Studio III with USB 3.0? :confused:

gunraidan
Aug 22, 2009, 12:34 AM
The average household has 298GB of space on their computer?

Even I don't have that much. Where did they get these statistics?

armoguy94
Aug 22, 2009, 12:54 AM
I think the main problem with my hard drive space filling up is my lossless iTunes library :D

Grimmeh
Aug 22, 2009, 01:27 AM
I've only had three computers in my life: an old Packard Bell (no idea how much HDD space), a vpr Matrix (100 GB HDD), and now my MacBook Pro (128 GB SSD).

The vpr Matrix's 100 GB of storage lasted be for almost 7-8 years, and never once did I come close to filling it all up, with music, photos, and games galore.

With my new MBP, I have used 50 GB for all my crap, and I have all the songs I ever listen too and all my photos. 1 TB, for me, seems like I would have to go out of my way to fill—I could make a day job out of trying.

Honestly, IDK how people have have 20,000 songs; do they really listen to even a quarter of it? I delete songs I haven't listened to in a year, sometimes less. What's the point if I don't listen to it? I have 392 songs right now taking up 2.62 GB of space. Video is the same. If it's on DVD or BD, why not leave it there?

Point being, I don't like these statistics. None of my friends remotely need 250 GB of storage, and I really can't imagine most people do. (Video editors and professional photographers exempt.)

ditzy
Aug 22, 2009, 04:29 AM
I've only had three computers in my life: an old Packard Bell (no idea how much HDD space), a vpr Matrix (100 GB HDD), and now my MacBook Pro (128 GB SSD).

The vpr Matrix's 100 GB of storage lasted be for almost 7-8 years, and never once did I come close to filling it all up, with music, photos, and games galore.

With my new MBP, I have used 50 GB for all my crap, and I have all the songs I ever listen too and all my photos. 1 TB, for me, seems like I would have to go out of my way to fill—I could make a day job out of trying.

Honestly, IDK how people have have 20,000 songs; do they really listen to even a quarter of it? I delete songs I haven't listened to in a year, sometimes less. What's the point if I don't listen to it? I have 392 songs right now taking up 2.62 GB of space. Video is the same. If it's on DVD or BD, why not leave it there?

Point being, I don't like these statistics. None of my friends remotely need 250 GB of storage, and I really can't imagine most people do. (Video editors and professional photographers exempt.)

I have to strongly disagree. I'm neither a video editor or a photographer. But am now going why oh why didn't I upgrade my iMac to 1Tb when I had the chance. I'll know better for my next purchase.

twoodcc
Aug 22, 2009, 09:09 AM
That's pretty obvious.

lol, yes it is

Michael73
Aug 22, 2009, 09:51 AM
As others have said, this OpEd is pretty much stating the obvious.

It also depends on the number of people in your household, their age and what you use your system for. I have a 6 and 4 year old. In a couple of years they'll no doubt have their computers (Macs of course) with their own music and digital content. The thing is, is all a person is doing with their computer is doing email and basic word processing and spreadsheets, current hard drive sizes will last for ages. What eats up space of course is other forms of digital content like music, movies, tv shows, etc. Directly bearing on that is the quality of the reproduction e.g. is the movie ripped for replay on a big 52" wide screen TV or on an iPhone. Personally, the 5TB of space I have is a mix of home media server / time machine drive / XP Virtual Machine / Mac OS / ...

mkrishnan
Aug 22, 2009, 10:35 AM
The average household has 298GB of space on their computer?

Even I don't have that much. Where did they get these statistics?

Actually, that I could more easily believe -- because there are tons of households who buy cheap Windows PCs that use large HD's as a selling point, but, the quote was actually:

According to research firm Parks Associates, the average consumer household currently has approximately 298GB of digital media

-- That they have used up that much space (although, as I said, I don't know how they're counting and I don't know if they're counting a stack of PS3 or XBox 360 games on optical media, which are pretty big but not on your HD), not that they have just that much space....

jmcguckin
Aug 22, 2009, 11:42 AM
at the moment, I have two hard drives, both of which are approximately half full (give or take 5%): 1) the 320GB in my laptop (actually ~298GB, with ~135GB used at the moment) and 2) the 1TB external connected to it that I use for backup and my lossless audio archive (actually ~931GB, with ~511GB used up).

what's crazy is that my first computer had a ~3GB HDD, and no one in my family would've been able to fill that up... my first laptop had a 60GB HDD, and it was a struggle to fill that for the 3yrs I owned it; by the time I bought my second laptop, though, I had started to toy around a lot more with audio/video encoding and had to upgrade from the original 100GB to a 160GB HDD (mostly to have breathing room, but also to make the transition to a drive with perpendicular recording). my third and current laptop (my MacBook) came with a 250GB drive, and I quickly managed to fill that up and eventually had to upgrade it and buy an external drive to accommodate my growing media library.

the point is, with the addition of space, I continued to find more leeway for storing content (particularly audio and video), and while I still feel pretty far away from filling my 1TB disk at the moment, I'm sure that won't be the case 1yr from now- especially considering the fact that I now own a 12.1MP camera that also shoots 720p HD video.

LEStudios
Aug 22, 2009, 01:00 PM

That's why Apple made the Genius Playlist feature. Everybody has different moods so there's a song based on that feeling or emotion. I'm the one with 40,000+ songs. I also listen to movie scores and game soundtracks. Steve Jablosky Music Composer for Transformers 1 & 2 and Gears of War 2 Soundtrack. I might be in the mood to listen to that or I recently bought the Metallica Collection I might want to bang out. I got R&B, Rap, Blues, Jazz and more. 365 Days of the year I'm sure you listen to music every day. If not you really may not be a music lover. :p

LEStudios
Aug 22, 2009, 01:08 PM
at the moment, I have two hard drives, both of which are approximately half full (give or take 5%): 1) the 320GB in my laptop (actually ~298GB, with ~135GB used at the moment) and 2) the 1TB external connected to it that I use for backup and my lossless audio archive (actually ~931GB, with ~511GB used up).

what's crazy is that my first computer had a ~3GB HDD, and no one in my family would've been able to fill that up... my first laptop had a 60GB HDD, and it was a struggle to fill that for the 3yrs I owned it; by the time I bought my second laptop, though, I had started to toy around a lot more with audio/video encoding and had to upgrade from the original 100GB to a 160GB HDD (mostly to have breathing room, but also to make the transition to a drive with perpendicular recording). my third and current laptop (my MacBook) came with a 250GB drive, and I quickly managed to fill that up and eventually had to upgrade it and buy an external drive to accommodate my growing media library.

the point is, with the addition of space, I continued to find more leeway for storing content (particularly audio and video), and while I still feel pretty far away from filling my 1TB disk at the moment, I'm sure that won't be the case 1yr from now- especially considering the fact that I now own a 12.1MP camera that also shoots 720p HD video.

Good point! Checking iPhoto and I got 11,604 photos 32 movies that's 8.4GB over a 9 year period! In the begining I use to take the 35mm to Walgreens to put the pictures on Floppy Discs now use Digital Cameras and iPhone. This also point out I may need to get that the two 4TB Studio II I may need rather quickly. I got 136.74GB FREE on my Mac mini hard drive if this fills up then that may be a problem I got 500GB Free space on my 2TB. I may need to get these by October. I can tough it out. :cool:

dmmcintyre3
Aug 22, 2009, 01:10 PM
I have 50 GB allocated to OS X on my main Mac. ~25 GB is used. Now my Dad had a 160 GB drive in his Dell desktop and guess what? He could not even install all his programs because it was too "small". What does he have on it? Maybe he needs to clean out his documents folder which is the same one he has had since he had a AMD Pentium II equivalent. (which he still uses as a server actually)

xtacyboy
Aug 22, 2009, 01:29 PM
duh, any idiot would know this. Just wasted a minute of my life reading this!

mixel
Aug 22, 2009, 01:36 PM
Games and photos are my biggest space-hogs. Both grow at an alarming rate with technology.. The games don't impact much on my osX partition but they eat into my windows one pretty heavily.

LEStudios
Aug 22, 2009, 03:01 PM
Games and photos are my biggest space-hogs. Both grow at an alarming rate with technology.. The games don't impact much on my osX partition but they eat into my windows one pretty heavily.

Yeah why I wonder if the did have Blu-Ray Games for PC who the Hell would install it? Imagine the size of the install? :eek:

bobsentell
Aug 22, 2009, 09:56 PM
No $h!t Sherlock!

1) 3 years ago, the largest drive I was able to order for my HP laptop was 120GB. So "remember when 250GB was big enough" was like 20 months ago.

2) The need for an external for a back-up isn't necessary. A lot of people back-up online. Lot a good that external drive does you when it burns down with your house.

3) "Macs will get increasingly larger hard drives, out of necessity." As opposed to the PCs, that will continue to piss people off with 20GB HDDs? When has this ever been to the contrary in either the MAc or PC world?

I wish I had his job. Write stories about things that are common sense.

BREAKING NEWS: the sun will rise tomorrow!
Shhh....don't tell anybody.

Burnsey
Aug 22, 2009, 10:00 PM
Sucks majorly seeing as my MBP only has a 120GB HD, which seemed huge when I was buying it. Time for a new HD.

Gav2k
Aug 23, 2009, 01:31 AM
I've just invested in a drobo pro. Purchased 4 x 2tb drives and started transfering everything off random drives I have with music videos etc. Last night it came up with a low storage warning so today I'm off to buy another 4 drives. This sits along side my other drobo with 8tb of storage.

The digital age is definatly here but think how many dvd's and CDs would clutter your house if digital media didn't exist.

bjorn989
Aug 23, 2009, 02:39 AM
Sucks majorly seeing as my MBP only has a 120GB HD, which seemed huge when I was buying it. Time for a new HD.

Mine is exactly the same... Just purchased Seagate Momentus 320GB 7200 RPM off eBay. Should be here next week... Looking forward to having some space finally...

iPhone 62S
Aug 23, 2009, 03:10 AM
http://msp204.photobucket.com/albums/bb124/Kutos313/obvious.jpg

Oh, and I actually have a Compaq with a 8GB HD! AND IT STILL RUNS! :D

neil1980
Aug 23, 2009, 03:23 PM
The first hard drive I almost bought (but it was too expensive) was 10MB (yes MB not GB) and that was huge.

of course, C90 cassettes could hold a fair bit of data!

rwilliams
Aug 23, 2009, 03:45 PM
I've just invested in a drobo pro. Purchased 4 x 2tb drives and started transfering everything off random drives I have with music videos etc. Last night it came up with a low storage warning so today I'm off to buy another 4 drives. This sits along side my other drobo with 8tb of storage.

The digital age is definatly here but think how many dvd's and CDs would clutter your house if digital media didn't exist.

Wow. I don't think I could ever come close to using that first 8 TB of drive space, much less needing another 8 TB. I guess I'm in the minority these days, in that I don't buy any digital movies or TV shows, don't rip my DVDs to my hard drives, have a relatively modest music collection (~ 35 GB), and don't play games. And I really like having the physical CDs and DVDs on hand, so I doubt I'll ever get rid of them in favor of strictly digital formats. So my hard drives look like this:

*320 GB MacBook HD - 168 GB free

*500 GB Western Digital MyBook
- 350 GB for all files - ~118 GB free
- 150 GB for SuperDuper backups - ~51 GB free

*100 GB Maxtor drive in HFS for files over 4 GB - ~50 GB free

zelmo
Aug 24, 2009, 07:27 AM
I will definitely be looking for some NAS solution in the next 12-18 months.
I have a 500GB external for TM on my MBP (with a 250GB hdd), and we have a 160GB external for TM on my wife's PB (with a 120GB hdd), and I have a full 1TB drive for iTunes. Then there is the 160GB AppleTV and 80GB PS3.

A Drobo seems less like a luxury with every passing month.

wordofbird
Aug 24, 2009, 11:27 AM
I have a 1TB drive, 320 GB drive, and the 320 built into my MacBook Pro, and still not enough space! I have like, 30 GB in my iTunes folder, then I have maybe 40 GB of dvd rips. The rest of my hard drives, except 6 GB are completely full!! But, see, I'm a video editor, and it's not uncommon for one project to be well over 50 GB. I'm looking into more storage just as archive for when customers request additional copies months later. Urg, stupid high definition I tell you!

RandomIan
Aug 24, 2009, 12:53 PM
WOW....this thread has really turned into one of those "I have xxGB of movie files, and I NEED the space!" vs. the "Why would anyone REALLY need that much space for" arguments.

I think the point here is that people that consume HD space CONSUME IT, and others don't at all.

The more that there is a movement to create digital ecosystems of data therefore there will be an increasing need for space.

Personally I don't want to have to sift through stacks of DVDs to find the show or movie I want to watch. I like being able to stream everything to my TV at the click of a button. I think that there will be a greater focus on that functional going into the future.

GS Owner
Aug 24, 2009, 01:20 PM
duuuuuuur

though my dad told me when he bought a computer in the 80s that a hdd of like 50mb or so was sooooo huge, you would never fill it up lol:D:D

When I was using my Apple II GS I had a 20 MB Hard Drive. I never got close to filling it up.

Meanwhile I have a 2GB Flash Drive filled to capacity with important Backup Files. Filling up fast is a 4 GB Flash that replaced it. I'm talking Archive Storage here. I may not need these files ever again. But then again a few months I had to look up some files stored on a 16 GB Flash Drive that were over 2 years old.

A little note here: The space left on the Now Archived 2 GB Drive, it has about the same space left in it as my Original Apple ][+ TOTAL MEMORY. About 36,000 vs. 48K.

Andrew Henry
Aug 24, 2009, 03:15 PM
I may have to get another Drobo soon unless they come out with larger than 2TB drives, I've got so many HD movies and TV shows that the storage companies really need to step it up.. :o

Blue Fox
Aug 24, 2009, 03:40 PM
My Apple PowerBook 140 has a 40MB hardrive, and I paid EXTRA for it too. :D I'm sure we'll see exabyte hard drives or higher in our lifetime.

armoguy94
Aug 24, 2009, 05:29 PM
No $h!t Sherlock!

1) 3 years ago, the largest drive I was able to order for my HP laptop was 120GB. So "remember when 250GB was big enough" was like 20 months ago.

2) The need for an external for a back-up isn't necessary. A lot of people back-up online. Lot a good that external drive does you when it burns down with your house.

3) "Macs will get increasingly larger hard drives, out of necessity." As opposed to the PCs, that will continue to piss people off with 20GB HDDs? When has this ever been to the contrary in either the MAc or PC world?

I wish I had his job. Write stories about things that are common sense.

BREAKING NEWS: the sun will rise tomorrow!
Shhh....don't tell anybody.

Less than 12 months ago when 250gb HDD's were getting out of trend, Apple was still gladly selling them. Other manufacturers are much more fair.

HomeBru Studios
Aug 24, 2009, 08:43 PM
I remember my first hard disk was a 20Mb Hard Card! The world was my oyster and it went without question that it would be impossible to ever fill up.

Ahhh... to be young again!

ElijahPost
Aug 24, 2009, 09:37 PM

I'm only 15, and even I can remember the time when my Dad bought a massive hard drive of 2GB. It was the first time I had even heard of a GB as opposed to MB, KB, B which were commonplace at the time.

My Macintosh SE FDHD (Built during the Regan Administration, and obviously before I was born) has a 20MB Hard Drive, and it works like a charm.

rekhyt
Aug 25, 2009, 01:06 AM
duuuuuuur

though my dad told me when he bought a computer in the 80s that a hdd of like 50mb or so was sooooo huge, you would never fill it up lol

Heheh, yeah-5 years ago I used little/no space on my laptop, and now I find that I burn through so much HD space now. (Went through 35GB somehow in one week.)

What I'd prefer companies do instead of making the harddrive space bigger is to work on preventing HD failures/making it less.

iPhone 62S
Aug 25, 2009, 03:33 AM
I have a 1TB drive, 320 GB drive, and the 320 built into my MacBook Pro, and still not enough space! I have like, 30 GB in my iTunes folder, then I have maybe 40 GB of dvd rips. The rest of my hard drives, except 6 GB are completely full!! But, see, I'm a video editor, and it's not uncommon for one project to be well over 50 GB. I'm looking into more storage just as archive for when customers request additional copies months later. Urg, stupid high definition I tell you!

That's nothing, films can end up mounting to over 10 terabytes! :eek:

jb510
Aug 25, 2009, 01:14 PM
I'm 36 and I remember 5 1/4" Floppy Disks as well being in the 8th Grade when our school got the first Macintosh SE :rolleyes:

I'm 36 too... and I remember when I had to hook an audio tape recorder up to my Ti-99 4a... and actually I remember the 4kb memory expansion module for my Timex Sinclair as well...

Regardless this article is lame and certainly deserves the Captian Obvious award.

Of interest might of been addressing the death of optical media... Witness the person above to 4TB of external storage to store a ridiculously large library of HD video. (Look I held onto all 10 season of Stargate for a while until I releaized I was never going to watch it again, and if hell froze over and I did I could just download it, but hey, it's your choice what you keep around). Anyway, I thought "hey I'll just off-load it to optical" then I thought about the cost and number of DVD's that would actually take for HD video (80 GB worth) and decided not to. Optical just isn't sufficeint for backing up data any more, even if it were BluRay I wouldn't be all that happy doing it.

At 4.7 GB and 700MB per episode you get 6 Episodes per disc). Dual layer is expensive and you still only get 12 Episodes per disc... BR is even more expensive, but at least you could get a whole season on one disk. Frankly I want all 10 seasons on one disk, anyone got an 80GB optical disk?

It's the kind of thing I'd expect from Ars, but it'd be nice to see a discussion of future hard drive desinities vs evolving densities of SSD. HDD densities seem to be reaching a limit and we're sort of locked into these 2.5"/3.5" form factors for laptop. How many GB can you truly squeeze into a 2.5" SSD perform physical constraints (rather than cost) really kick in?

ryanide
Aug 29, 2009, 01:21 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3623/3617463238_eca557ede6_b.jpg

Dude, look at the pics! I got two 2TB external, one for Time Machine Backup of the other 2TB and Mac mini's 320GB HD; one for iTunes folder which it's currently 1.32TB in size because I have 179 Movies 7 are HD, 119 TV Shows including HD: 1,404 Episodes, 3765 Albums: 42,305 songs and 317 Music Videos!

With Season 4 HD, Heroes starting September 21, Smallville Season 9 HD, Stargate Universe HD in October, currently Defying Gravity HD and soon Caprica HD Season 1. I'm already looking to get two 4TB Western Digital My Book II Studios II External Hard Drives! :eek:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=621

With your Library at that size, do you just use Time machine to backup, or do you have some other system?

With the size of these drives getting so huge, do any of you worry more about a hardware failure wiping out everything at once?? Seems like the larger the drives get, the more you need for backup..??