PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the iPod adapter for MINI?

stuckwithme247
Jun 25, 2004, 01:44 PM
... It seems to have disappeared from the iPod your BMW ad?

iJon
Jun 25, 2004, 01:56 PM
the connector on the mini and regular ipods are the same so they both will work.

iJon

edit: ooooh, the cooper, that i do not know of.

mkrishnan
Jun 25, 2004, 04:40 PM
... It seems to have disappeared from the iPod your BMW ad?

Dumb question time. :D Ipod Mini or Mini-Cooper? :p

Reason I bring it up...lusting after the latter, and I've noticed some articles mention the Mini-Cooper and others don't. Although the Mini cooper *does* already come with a $40 aux input jack option, which I guess isn't so bad. If this kit allowed you to get iPod screen info on the nav screen, I'd totally see it as worth the $$$...since it doesn't, I'm not 100% how much I think its much better than the aux input feature on the Mini or the front panel stereo jack on my head unit.

rainman::|:|
Jun 25, 2004, 06:06 PM
Dumb question time. :D Ipod Mini or Mini-Cooper? :p

Reason I bring it up...lusting after the latter, and I've noticed some articles mention the Mini-Cooper and others don't. Although the Mini cooper *does* already come with a $40 aux input jack option, which I guess isn't so bad. If this kit allowed you to get iPod screen info on the nav screen, I'd totally see it as worth the $$$...since it doesn't, I'm not 100% how much I think its much better than the aux input feature on the Mini or the front panel stereo jack on my head unit.

it's controlled by the steering wheel controls and mimics the CD player's function, whereas on the simple aux input version, it must be controlled from the iPod itself. that's worth it for a lot of people.

paul

yuc7zhd2
Jun 26, 2004, 12:15 AM
plus the MINI cooper was listed and pictured a few days ago but the thoughtcrime thoughtpolice unit erased all history. I don't need an overpriced german sedan that would cost the same as a ford taurus if I lived in Germany, but instead is an expensive status symbol in the US. But I am in the car market and I wouldn't mind having the iPod feature in a cooper s.

SkAlex
Jun 26, 2004, 12:51 AM
Hey everyone...proud owner of an '03 Electric Blue / white roof Mini Cooper S here.

From what I've been hearing, they pulled mini from the iPodyourBMW campaign for the moment because it will not be available until later this summer. For anyone interested, you can follow some of the conversation about it over at my mini forum, NorthAmericanMotoring.com

iPod your MINI discussion (http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27270)

:)

Sabbath
Jun 26, 2004, 08:51 PM
They better bring back the mini and get it out in the UK, I've been hoping to get a mini later this year, if I get a decent job when I graduate and ipod support is definitely desired.

Jo-Kun
Jun 27, 2004, 07:57 AM
the fun part is that BMW/Mini state that they are the first to add support for the iPod in their cars... why is it than that before that the belgian Apple site showed the Smart+iPod combo??? and not a sinlge word on BMW/Mini... hmmm maybe because BMW/Mini only supplies in US & Smart in Europe?? edit: I mean the combo with iPod offcourse ;-)

mkrishnan
Jun 27, 2004, 10:23 AM
the fun part is that BMW/Mini state that they are the first to add support for the iPod in their cars... why is it than that before that the belgian Apple site showed the Smart+iPod combo??? and not a sinlge word on BMW/Mini... hmmm maybe because BMW/Mini only supplies in US & Smart in Europe?? edit: I mean the combo with iPod offcourse ;-)

Because this is America, and cars that aren't sold here don't exist. :p

How does the Smart iPod adaptor work? Can you please post the link within the Apple/Belgium sight (French, if possible)? I could not find it.

Jo-Kun
Jun 27, 2004, 11:01 AM
haha Yes America... say no more ;-)

the BMW/Mini exist here too :p German product remember ;-) and smart is daimler/chrysler and originally European too :-D but Apple only makes a commercial about the Smart here...

probably here we can ask the BMW/Mini people to get us the adaptor too... not that I can afford a BMW/Mini right now... but a friend of mine has the X5 & Z4 so maybe its fun for him to get it...

so the link: http://www.apple.com/befr/hotnews/articles/smart/ (the french version ;-) )

edesignuk
Jun 27, 2004, 11:22 AM
I'm lost :confused: So what's happening here, is it going to happen or isn't it! I want one for my Cooper bad!!!

mkrishnan
Jun 28, 2004, 07:08 AM
so the link: http://www.apple.com/befr/hotnews/articles/smart/ (the french version ;-) )

Thank you! Does not say too much about how the interface looks though. The holster / cradle that the iPod fits into looks pretty well-designed though, although it looks like it is such a snug fit that only certain iPods work (it seems to imply that it is compatible with the 3G smaller-size iPod but not the 30/40GB one).

Also I like the SMART-engraved iPod. ;)

Actually, supposedly either a future version of the cabrio or the forfour is going to come to the US. I'm very curious...I think the cabrio is super-cute. :)

SkAlex
Jun 29, 2004, 01:49 PM
If any of you watched the keynote, Jobs did in fact included the mini cooper when he was discussing the iPodYourBMW campaign. :D

IJ Reilly
Jun 29, 2004, 06:55 PM
it's controlled by the steering wheel controls and mimics the CD player's function, whereas on the simple aux input version, it must be controlled from the iPod itself. that's worth it for a lot of people.

paul

I'm using the AUX input adapter for the iPod in my MINI. It works, but you have to set a playlist before you go -- operating an iPod while driving is just too much of a distraction. If this new adaptor integrates with the fingertip controls on the multifunction steering wheel, and keeps the iPod charged, then I'm definitely interested.