PDA

View Full Version : Where can I put my subwoofer?

ziggyonice
Aug 22, 2009, 12:49 AM
Where can I put my subwoofer so that it sounds louder?

It's part of my surround sound system, and simply, it's not a powerful subwoofer. I put it in a corner, which I think is helping (as sound waves will bounce off the walls, amplifying the sound).

But could I put it right next to my couch? I think this could help make it sound more powerful, so it's right next to the listener. What do you think?

------[TV]----[Sub]--

----[Couch]----------

OR

------[TV]-----------

----[Couch]--[Sub]--

zimv20
Aug 22, 2009, 09:13 AM
the corner, up against the walls. that way it can resonate the walls as well as the floor, if the walls are typical drywall/stud construction.

rjgonzales
Aug 22, 2009, 01:30 PM
I haven't tried this so I don't know if it actually works, but I've heard you can put the sub in your listening position and stand in different spots in the room. Put the sub in the spot that give you the best sound.

thegoldenmackid
Aug 22, 2009, 01:35 PM
I always prefer the couch method for home theater, but that is just me.

ChrisA
Aug 22, 2009, 01:44 PM
Where can I put my subwoofer so that it sounds louder?-

First off look at the crossover frequency. If it is low enough then your ears can't figure out the location of the sound source. Opinion varies on the exact number but if it crosses over less then 80Hz (give or take) it is low enough that you can put it anyplace and you will not hear the location. But most low to mid range HT systems cross over the sub higher. Sometimes it is really more a "woofer" than a "SUBwoofer" in that case you are best to put it up front near a wall or a corner and not in back of the sofa. The higher cross over, lower end woofers are directional and need to be somewhat near the TV screen. The better lower frequency true sub-woofers can go anyplace and you will never be able to locate them with your ears.

Try it up high too if it is small enough to lift. Maybe on top of a tall cabinet above eyelevel near a three way corner of two walls and a ceiling. The ceiling can work as well as a floor as a reflector and may have less obstructions.

musio
Aug 22, 2009, 05:28 PM
doesn't matter. You can't really tell the direction of bass as the wavelength is a lot shorter. It's something you feel rather than directional so stick the sub where it looks nice. If it were tweeters it would be difference.

Saying all that, behind the sofa is a nice shock for those eathquake moments. Put the cat basket on top and have a blast

TheVidEditor
Aug 23, 2009, 10:10 PM
Hopefully, none of us are stupid enough to suggest putting the subwoofer on the shelf above us...