PDA

View Full Version : Mobile demo proves iPod video worth

MacBytes
Jun 25, 2004, 05:48 PM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Mobile demo proves iPod video worth (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040625184851)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Neuro
Jun 25, 2004, 08:38 PM
I've always thought that the appeal of the iPod, MD Player, Mp3 Player etc was listening to music while on the go - ie walking, driving, jogging. You can listen to music, but still see where you're going.

I can't find many scenarios where the video iPod would be useful, other than the initial novelty value. You can't watch it while walking as you'll hit a lamp post / wall / car etc.

If I'm stationary, chances are I'm at home and can use my TV or new wireless firewire 30" display to watch in full quality. :D So, why would I use my video iPod at home?

I guess I could use it on public transport, but in London or any big city, I really wouldn't want both my primary senses cut off from what's around me... The only place it would work would be long distance confined travel such as train or plane.

Seems like a nonsense product idea to me.

nagromme
Jun 25, 2004, 11:07 PM
There's no doubt that playing movies from a small devices is very useful for some situations.

It's just that those situations are very specific and rare! Not so with photos--my iPod-sized camera outputs photos to TV or to its own iPod-size screen, and I regularly use BOTH methods to show my pictures. I'm sure all of us have looked at someone else's pictures on a 2" screen before too. Why? Because it's nice to see them at all, and nothing bigger is handy!

THAT would be useful in an iPod.

Abstract
Jun 26, 2004, 01:37 AM
I can see television streaming as being useful in 2 situations: on a bus, and on the subway.

It won't be possible while on the subway/tube/train, so unless you spend a lot of time on the bus, and have noise cancelling earphones or great headphones, I think it would be quite useless to have a video iPod of any sort.