Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solideliquid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
I've read about several concerns regarding problems during streaming video to the ATV. Is it possible to sync movies and TV shows to the ATV's HDD from a PC then just play the movies without streaming them?

This would work like an ipod I guess.

rogervzv

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2009
Huntington Beach, CA
Do you sync it over wireless or connect through USB?

I have two ATVs and I synch it over wireless. If you connect via network cable it will transfer movies to the ATV much faster (I am told) but I have never done it.

The streaming over WiFi works really well too for those movies that you don't physically load onto the ATV HDD.

cdavis11

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
I've read about several concerns regarding problems during streaming video to the ATV. Is it possible to sync movies and TV shows to the ATV's HDD from a PC then just play the movies without streaming them?

This would work like an ipod I guess.

It is, but it's just fine streaming via 801.11n in my setup.

I am one of the people with a 40GB model and stream all content from a 24" Core Duo to the ATV via an airport extreme set to N only.

I've got my G devices set up on a bridged G only network - an airport express cabled to the extreme and bridged handles this nicely.

N streaming is silky smooth with almost zero lag, in my experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.