PDA

View Full Version : IBM: PowerPC G5 to Go Mobile

MacBytes
Jun 25, 2004, 11:03 PM
Category: 3rd Party Hardware
Link: IBM: PowerPC G5 to Go Mobile (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040626000355)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Plastic Chicken
Jun 25, 2004, 11:31 PM
g5 powerbooks next week (tuesday)

windowsblowsass
Jun 25, 2004, 11:52 PM
i forgot about powertune! :eek:

isnt that rumored to be in the 970 fx?

Sir_Giggles
Jun 26, 2004, 12:10 AM
What about the permute engine?

Abstract
Jun 26, 2004, 01:33 AM
So I guess there will be no mobile specific chip from IBM. Funny how they say that such a chip would be needed in a small form factor iMac, and yet they say that such a chip won't be available before the end of the year. Or maybe I'm reading into every word too closely...

NP3
Jun 26, 2004, 05:01 AM
k, so here's how i read it:

They don't need to redesign the G5 chip to put it in a laptop
They can achieve the necessary watt output by using the Powertune and other technologies.

What's stopping them?!? There is little difference between the consumer and pro level notebooks obviously....they should upgrade the p'books before they do the imacs.

Although the 970FX isn't supposed to ship till the end of the year....ggrrr.

filipp
Jun 26, 2004, 07:07 AM
Although the 970FX isn't supposed to ship till the end of the year....ggrrr.

Isn't 970FX already shipping in the new Xserves and Powermacs?

/ filipp

NP3
Jun 26, 2004, 09:04 AM
Isn't 970FX already shipping in the new Xserves and Powermacs?

/ filipp

ohhhhh yes you're right....
says so here too: http://www.itworld.com/Comp/1184/040610liquidcooling/

So its on the liquid cooled 2.5 G5...which comes in August...far chance we can have powerbooks in August too? :-D

Spazmodius
Jun 26, 2004, 11:21 AM
Ummm, Motorola is developing a dual-core 32/64 bit PowerPC, and will have something soon based on the G4 core that could be used in portables. Why does this article not even mention Freescale and its PPC roadmap? Are they just completely out of the picture now? I know of no reason to think one way or the other, since Apple refuses to tell anyone anything. It seems to me analysts are remiss to discount Motorola/Freescale at this point until we get more info. from the folks building the machines.

gerardrj
Jun 26, 2004, 06:04 PM
IBM does not manufacture a "G5" CPU, G5 is a marketing name chosen by Apple that will encompass as many as 4 different chips. The G5 started out as the IBM PPC 970, now it's the 970FX.

This was the same with the G3 and G4, there were at least 5 model numbers of CPU that were all sold under each of those names.

sjk
Jun 26, 2004, 06:07 PM
Wow, Spazmodius, sure you're not just another G5 PowerBook lemming? :D

Stella
Jun 26, 2004, 07:46 PM
Until this is complete, no PB G5... I'm guessing mid 2005 - Apple still have to build the devices.. which won't be ready for MWSF 2005.

Maybe I should have bought a G4 and waited for the G5 Rev 2 instead of a SE p900 phone... naaa... my iBook G3 800 is still good and the phone rocks.

Sun Baked
Jun 26, 2004, 08:08 PM
Ummm, Motorola is developing a dual-core 32/64 bit PowerPC, and will have something soon based on the G4 core that could be used in portables. Why does this article not even mention Freescale and its PPC roadmap?The discussion was with Norman Rohrer, chief designer of the PowerPC 970FX chip.

Don't think he's able to comment of the Freescale stuff yet. ;)

But he did say, don't expect the dual core processors to be clocked at high as the single core processors -- because they'll need to be downclocked to meet the specs of the CPUs they replace.

bousozoku
Jun 26, 2004, 09:09 PM
Ummm, Motorola is developing a dual-core 32/64 bit PowerPC, and will have something soon based on the G4 core that could be used in portables. Why does this article not even mention Freescale and its PPC roadmap? Are they just completely out of the picture now? I know of no reason to think one way or the other, since Apple refuses to tell anyone anything. It seems to me analysts are remiss to discount Motorola/Freescale at this point until we get more info. from the folks building the machines.

They've always had something soon, so forgive me if I don't hold my breath.

I'd like to believe that it will be different this time. Certainly, the specifications of the E600 look promising since it will go right where the G4 is now. Unfortunately, we've been waiting a long time for something much faster--sometimes, even just a little faster.

If yields go up, maybe IBM can provide enough processors to make 64-bit PPC laptop computers a reality.

NNO-Stephen
Jun 26, 2004, 10:17 PM
I hope whenever the G5 PowerBooks come out, they have the upgradeable graphics technology from either ATI or nVidia (I'd prefer ATI, strongly) but most of all, I hope they take their time and do it right instead of rushing it to market.

Ambrose Chapel
Jun 27, 2004, 01:58 PM
all these articles always point to something but not before the end of the year...i'm personally hoping for the PBG5 in MWSF, then the first revision the 2nd half of the year, which is when i will pounce!

wrldwzrd89
Jun 27, 2004, 03:02 PM
I hope whenever the G5 PowerBooks come out, they have the upgradeable graphics technology from either ATI or nVidia (I'd prefer ATI, strongly) but most of all, I hope they take their time and do it right instead of rushing it to market.
My suspicion is that Apple will split the notebooks between ATI and nVidia cards, just like they've always done. Which card goes where depends on where ATI and nVidia's latest Mac-compatible mobile graphics cards stack up to each other. As far as ATI vs. nVidia goes, ATI has the better technology (just look at the power consumption for ATI's X800 versus nVidia's 6800), but Apple doesn't want to discriminate against nVidia, either - that's why Apple's used their cards as well as ATI's.

sjk
Jun 27, 2004, 03:02 PM
Where's Apple's OQO (http://www.oqo.com)-killer? :D

themadchemist
Jun 28, 2004, 04:42 PM
Where's Apple's OQO (http://www.oqo.com)-killer? :D

wow, that thing is HOT. If only it ran on OS X...

sjk
Jun 28, 2004, 09:23 PM
If only it ran on OS X...Uhh, or how about OS X on it? :)

Lots of ex-Apple folks at that company.