Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikeyiphone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
I accidentally deleted this app on my iPhone last night. Its probably most important application as i have about 8-9 months of my daily diet info on it.

When i went to sync it with my computer when i got home, I was pissed to see none of the data was saved.

My question is, can i recover that information? I did a back up to my itunes about 3 weeks ago, but if thats the case why didn't the info transfer over when i sync'd it last night?

Is this data lost for good?

mikeyiphone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
I dont know why but the data is missing. I always though the data would be stored on the laptop if i did backups. Oh well, now i have to add in all my foods again.

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
As Jmann said, restore it. The data is kept on your laptop, but syncing just replaces the app. You will have to do a complete restore to your last backup before you deleted the app. This will put everything on your phone back to that point, including sms etc.

How do you accidentally delete? Isn't there a confirmation screen?

mikeyiphone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
As Jmann said, restore it. The data is kept on your laptop, but syncing just replaces the app. You will have to do a complete restore to your last backup before you deleted the app. This will put everything on your phone back to that point, including sms etc.

How do you accidentally delete? Isn't there a confirmation screen?

It was a freak thing, i had the phone in my pocket and when i pulled it out to check the time the screen where it asks me to rate the app was showing. I couldn't get out of the screen and my sleep button is broke, so i could reboot the phone. In hindsight i should have had my friend call my phone maybe that would have helped, not sure.

Out of all the apps it had to be the one i use religiously!! Why couldn't it have been lyrical which is useless since they cant retrieve lyrics anymore.

lingentry

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2010
Lose It! disaster

After an entire day with AppleCare and everyone else to move to a new iPhone 4 because my old one was on the fritz, I have learned a few things:
I also use LoseIt religiously, tracking 18 months worth of weight loss, tons of custom foods and exercises, including all the hoops I had to go through to create accurate calorie calculations. In "Restore from Backup" with the new phone, all of the data in my LoseIt was lost.

AppleCare tells me that the data of an individual app would not be stored in the computer, so I'm not sure where to go from there. The "blank" app I now have on my phone, wouldn't let me go any further than either logging in or registering as a new user. I am pretty sure I never "joined" their little users club, but if in fact one had to do so to get past that page (I've been using it so long I can't remember), the i.d. and password I would have used are not recognized. So I even elected to be a "new user" and now it won't recognize that name or password either. I emailed the LoseIt folks to see if they store data on their servers, but am not hopeful if I never actually registered. Anyone learn any more about this more recently than last August?

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
After an entire day with AppleCare and everyone else to move to a new iPhone 4 because my old one was on the fritz, I have learned a few things:
I also use LoseIt religiously, tracking 18 months worth of weight loss, tons of custom foods and exercises, including all the hoops I had to go through to create accurate calorie calculations. In "Restore from Backup" with the new phone, all of the data in my LoseIt was lost.

AppleCare tells me that the data of an individual app would not be stored in the computer, so I'm not sure where to go from there. The "blank" app I now have on my phone, wouldn't let me go any further than either logging in or registering as a new user. I am pretty sure I never "joined" their little users club, but if in fact one had to do so to get past that page (I've been using it so long I can't remember), the i.d. and password I would have used are not recognized. So I even elected to be a "new user" and now it won't recognize that name or password either. I emailed the LoseIt folks to see if they store data on their servers, but am not hopeful if I never actually registered. Anyone learn any more about this more recently than last August?

Data from an app is stored in the backup. So the restore from backup should have got your data back, unless the iPhone backed up the new iPhone first. In the future make a copy of your backup to prevent stuff like this from happening. Apple decided to stop doing incremental dated backups, which have caused countless users problems.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
LoseIt also stores your information on their website, so if you recreate your account in the app, it SHOULD sync your data back to the app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.