Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LuapStar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
Hi Everyone!

I would like to either create a server or a well working network between my Ubuntu machine and my MacBook Pro. The thing is, I want to be able to move my files between the computers in some smart way.

If you guys could help me with my issue I would be very grateful! And please if possible could you explain it step-by-step?

Thank you very much in advance!

LuapStar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
Could I connect them with a lan cable, to achieve faster file sharing?

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
Right out of the box you can use SSH (SFTP/SCP) - on Linux install sshd (Ubuntu: sudo apt-get install openssh-server) and on OSX go to Sharing in System Preferences and enable remote login.

Both OSX and Ubuntu will allow you to connect to the other using GUI - so you can browse/copy files easily.

It is going to be a little slow over wireless - so if you can connect them using a Gigabit router/switch or direct cable that would be a lot faster.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Right out of the box you can use SSH (SFTP/SCP) - on Linux install sshd (Ubuntu: sudo apt-get install openssh-server) and on OSX go to Sharing in System Preferences and enable remote login.

Both OSX and Ubuntu will allow you to connect to the other using GUI - so you can browse/copy files easily.

It is going to be a little slow over wireless - so if you can connect them using a Gigabit router/switch or direct cable that would be a lot faster.

That will be much slower than unencrypted methods (NFS, SMB, etc). If you're moving a lot of data, and security isn't an issue, I'd advise against SSH-based solutions due to performance.

LuapStar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
Hi again,

What does FTP, NFS, SMB mean?
I know that smb is samba, but how does it work?
How does the others work and how do I install them?
Anyone keen explaining?

B.t.w I got it working with a program called FUGU on :apple:, and I suppose it's by ftp. I can reach my ubuntu machine by using fugu, this program finds the other comp IP...

Thank you in advance!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.