PDA

View Full Version : quick ATV connection question

Bones3010
Aug 23, 2009, 04:27 PM
So I'm going to someone's house and wanted to bring my ATV with me. They have an HDMI set so I'm good there. My question is, can I bring my laptop with itunes and all my movies and simply connect via the ethernet cable (connect the laptop directly to the ATV) and have it function through itunes, or do I HAVE to have an internet connection going on to access what's on the PC? ...The place I'm going doesn't have internet.

I know I could just sync a handful of movies, but its only a 40gig model and I have tons of movies already ripped on a hard drive so If I could add some portability to this setup it would be nice...

Thanks!
-Rob

PS: As an aside, I think I already know the answer to this, but I'll ask anyway: Is there any way to get ATV to work on an old TV set WITHOUT HDMI/component inputs (i.e. just the old "video/audio L/R" inputs)? ...I don't think there is, but wanted to be sure.

Shuttleworth
Aug 23, 2009, 04:39 PM
There are ways to get it working through the composite cable, never tried it personally, Google AppleTV to composite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQNFCjKrVlc

As to the main part of your question, is the laptop the computer you usually sync iTunes with? If so it'll probably work (probably would even tf it's just a streamed account) but I'd set it up at home first so you don't look silly!