Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paul550

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2004
Hi All,

Today my ipod started to act up. I cant seem to connect it to my computer anymore. When I plug it into my FireWire port, all it does is charge the battery. I am thinking there might be a problem with the FireWire cable itself (i hope, cause thats a cheap and easy fix). I know it isn't a problem with the FireWire port on my computer, because my CD Burner works fine. Any suugestions? Thanks in advance!

bluebull

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2003
DC
I had a similar problem; I'm not sure if its the same thing, but it's worth a shot. I moved a month ago, then I bought some music from iTMS. A little later it wouldn't let me buy any more music because my credit card info didn't match, and I owed money for the music I bought before the problem was noticed. During the time I couldn't buy music, my ipod also wouldn't sync. When I found out that I had to change the billing info to my new address everything started working again. Chances are this isn't why your ipod won't sync, but it might be.

DGFan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2003
It would be nice if they included the PMU reset in that KB article. For anyone with a PM G4 that may also be the culprit.

caerfalias

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2006
iPod works with USB Cable but not Firewire

I have a 3rd generation ipod
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/consumer_electronics/stats/ipod_3rdgen.html

My ipod used to connect to my computer with my firewire cable. Now when I plug it in, it charges but does not show up in itunes or the desktop. Other ipods connect using this same cable, and my ipod can connect to my computer using my friend's 4th gen. USB cable.

Therefore, this doesn't seem to be any of the following:
1) firewire port problem
2) cable problem
3) ipod hard drive problem

I have NO IDEA what it could be, since my ipod is updated to version 2.3 and my itunes and operating system are all the most recent.

Please help if you can!

Zee

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2006
Guys and Girls.. This is killing me.. Well ok it's not that bad; but boy am I getting the sh*ts!
The Ipod is officially my enemy. But Mac OS, you're still my friend.

It connects, but only sometimes, only when it wants to. It disconnects, whenever it bloody wants. There's only so much charging an Ipod needs!

So what's the answer? Good question. I'm not here to enlighten anyone, I just wanted to winge. Finally some people that feel my pain.

I am at the "genius bar" now, in Japan! We'll see if this mob knows anything we don't. I'll let you know.. If I learn anything.

Scotty Zee

Chump060

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2006
I have the same exact problem with my 3rd Gen. iPod. I run it on windows and recently whenever i connect my iPod to my computer it doesnt show up. It shows that it is charging at the upper right corner but the computer doesnt recognize it. I tried a new cable. nothing. tried a new firewire card. nothing. reinstalled. i basically tried everything and nothing has worked. i duno what to do and im tryin real hard not to buy a whole new iPod. help would be greatly appreciated.

blairemadison

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2007
i had this problem for about a week,
all i had to do was reset my ipod by holding the middle select button and the play button and fiddling with the hold. :)

webjames

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2010
Hello,
Just today i have had this problems with my 3rd gen ipod.

* Will sync via USB
* Will charge via firewire, but not recognized by os x, windows, or itunes
* Have tried two different cables
* have run diagnostic tests all passed

Did anyone find a solution to this?

All the best,
James

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Hello,
Just today i have had this problems with my 3rd gen ipod.

* Will sync via USB
* Will charge via firewire, but not recognized by os x, windows, or itunes
* Have tried two different cables
* have run diagnostic tests all passed

Did anyone find a solution to this?

All the best,
James

It syncs over USB… what's the problem then?

I'm pretty Apple dropped support of Firewire on iPods.

webjames

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2010
It syncs over USB… what's the problem then?

I'm pretty Apple dropped support of Firewire on iPods.

it's an ipod 3g and only charges via firewire, when syncing via usb the battery often fails before it completes it's sync as it doesn't chage and sync via usb.

fedeboraxx

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2010
my iphone has been giving me some grief when syncing to the MP. i was doing it through a powered hub, which seemed to be the issue. hope that helps

moleda

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
ipod issues

My iPod touch 4th gen. doesn't charge when I plug it in (unless I plug it into the wall) and neither iTunes nor My Computer even recognizes that anything is plugged in. Other iPods work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.