Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SRossi

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
Hi all,

Is it just me or has the pirate bay shut the door today?

Since last night I have been unable to get on, maybe just me but has anyone else had this problem?

Seems that it could finally be the end as speculation on other forums.

Just wondering wether other users have been unable to get on and what are your views on wether it should be closed or not?

Stephen

Peterkro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2004
Communard de Londres,Tiocfaidh ár lá
PirateBay is up again ,I don't know if it's 100% operative as I don't use it.
( the tracker is not working completely though DHT is O.K.,if I remember rightly they have servers in Ukraine amongst other places and are saying the tracker will be up by the morning).

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I cant imagine that after one attempt they will be gone forever. I still cant connect though.

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
Still can't connect. Side note: haven't they sold it anyway?

The whole Pirate Bay thing bugs me because I don't see the difference between torrenting an episode of Grey's Anatomy and recording it off the TV.

Or lending someone a book.

Or taping songs off the radio.

etc.

It also bugs me because of the allegations that the judge wasn't entirely impartial.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Don't worry... Even if it's gone down for good, I'm sure some nice folks in the middle of china - where copyright ain't enforced will start something up!! Dunno why TPB don't start a little node there!

iPhone 62S

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2009
The Pirate Bay has servers all over the world, they must be stupid to think this would work.

Also, many open source copies of The Pirate Bay are now online too, as are hundreds of other torrent sites.

The MPAA are idiots.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
The Pirate Bay has servers all over the world, they must be stupid to think this would work.

Also, many open source copies of The Pirate Bay are now online too, as are hundreds of other torrent sites.

The MPAA are idiots.

I have no idea why they don't just give up.

TPB has grown into the Lernaean Hydra… Cut off one head and you get two more.
Hydra.gif

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
luckily for me ipredator is still working (thought that it may have used the same bandwidth as it was designed by tpb) It should be back soon, if not there are hundreds of trackers available

MorzillA

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
Miami
....It also bugs me because of the allegations that the judge wasn't entirely impartial.

And apparently the judge was/is part of an anti-piracy lobby group that lead to an appeal in TPB favor...

Don't worry... Even if it's gone down for good, I'm sure some nice folks in the middle of china - where copyright ain't enforced will start something up!! Dunno why TPB don't start a little node there!

Cuz the CHINESE Govt. controls the entire internet system there, many of the big players have complied to the Chinese Gvt so that people in China can use their [AIM, MSN, Google, etc] products...with limitations of course!!!

The Pirate Bay has servers all over the world, they must be stupid to think this would work....The MPAA are idiots.
Apparently TPB is moving to another location, from and have been prepared for raids after '06! so I'll keep an eye for them....and yes iPhone 62S, they will always be idiot$

I think very soon that they will be closed permanently and then what will everyone do? There's no websites about as good or as reliable as TPB.
Stephen

no, I don't think that TPB will shut down for good anytime soon, and yes there aren't many sites as good as TPB!!

luckily for me ipredator is still working (thought that it may have used the same bandwidth as it was designed by tpb) It should be back soon, if not there are hundreds of trackers available

ehmmmm can I bother you for an invite?? the BETA is now closed :(

Yeah it's about 0114 here in the Eastern US coast and still no Pirates in sight. I figure that this ordeal might take a while to get adjusted to our needs once again. Unless some one else decides to take TPB mantle and lead yet another sharing revolution!!!!

:apple:

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
There is a torrent of about 21GB I think that is a dump of all tPB's content :cool: It can be downloaded and used to mirror.

Example: http://www.btarena.net/

Not as fully functional as tPB, but it's the ground work for anyone to start a replacement and have a s*** load of content.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK

Because publicly copyright most certainly *is* enforced these days - well at least as much as it is in Manhattan.

MorzillA

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
Miami
Wednesday 26, 2009

TPB is up and running, looking through the "recent" page and will see if it works or it will go down will let ya'll know soon!

:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.