Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hairlady1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
Hi

We are trying to get our ibook g4 early 2004 notebook ready to sell. Unfortunately the optical drive isn't reading anything that's being put in. A few months ago we were able to reset the memory power (shift option control power) to eject the disc that was not being read. Now we have tried everything to eject the disc, but it's not working.

we now have the back of our ibook off and are trying to see if there's a way we could simply remove the optical drive and then remove the disc.

Anyone have any advice, suggestions?
thanks!

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
If you go to http://www.ifixit.com and select your model of iBook, and then the optical drive in the parts section, there will be a step-by-step pictorial of how to remove/re-install the optical drive.

On an iBook, it'll require pretty much complete disassembly of the machine.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
I will tell you from experience that that model iBook is a royal pain to dismantle. I wish you the best of luck.

Word.

Took me an hour to get the HDD out, looking between ifixit's guide and the laptop (my first time with it, was being quite careful). Re-assembly only took 15-20min though!! :D

BlackiBook

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2009
Norman, Oklahoma
I will tell you from experience that that model iBook is a royal pain to dismantle. I wish you the best of luck.

I found it easy to dismantle actually! The first time I took mine apart was just too explore and it only took me a good hour to have everything apart and everything back together!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.