Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TitanJeff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2004
I am wanting to show student web site designs in a gallery-like setting. I had thought about using one of those digital photo frames but then wondered if I might be able to use a 24" monitor as long as it had a usb port or if it has to be connected to a computer.

I'm no techie so thought I might bring that here. Our goal is to plug in a flash drive and then have it loop.

Thanks for any suggestions.

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
I think it would be great if you had a laptop rather than the flash drive.
using the mini dv port or a DVI port, you could get better resolution and control.

is that an option?

TitanJeff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2004
A laptop is not an option at this time. I don't know if there are any monitors out there which don't have to be driven by the video card of a computer which probably leaves me with the digital photo frame option.

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
can we have an explination as to why a laptop has no place?
is it cosmetics?
if so, could you mount a laptop behind the TV/monitor?

RedAntArmy

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2009
There are plenty of LCD TVs that have SD slots and can do slideshows from the images on the card.

TitanJeff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2004
The reason we want to go with only a monitor is that it is a gallery space and there isn't anywhere to rig up a laptop unless it was wired from another room.

The TV is a great idea. I didn't know they had them with SD slots. I'll investigate.

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
I think it would be great if you had a laptop rather than the flash drive.
using the mini dv port or a DVI port, you could get better resolution and control.

RE: resolution

How do you figure that. If the TV/monitor can read the flash drive it would be reading the native resolution of the images on that drive. It therefore should display them just fine.

My concern would be the performance. The one time I hooked up a USB drive to a LCD TV, the time it took to load pictures was slow! Setting up the TV to use the appropriate folder was slooower still, but that would be a one time process here.

TitanJeff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2004
Another option would be going with a TV/DVD combo in the 19-24" range and just burning everything onto CD.

I'm researching those now.

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
XSTEP

sorry.
personal experience has shown that USB / SD card readers to be slower and pixelatious. I tried it on a few different TV's for the sake of my photography. Who knows, maybe the 5 TV's I tried just sucked for that kind of work.

BTW, I was thinking of a closed laptop that was running behind the TV. I mean, if it's mounted with a wall bracket, it could rest on that and the TV has to be powered from somewhere. The laptop could run off that same power or on batery.

Just sayin'

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.