PDA

View Full Version : G4 door don't open... why?

serger
Jun 27, 2004, 05:04 PM
G4 1.42 mirror box. the door unhooks but gets caught on something.

Damn thing will not open.

The machine has four hard drives in it... i'm concerned that just yanking it might rip something important.

Is this a problem anyone has had? What else holds the door in place?

Horrortaxi
Jun 27, 2004, 07:04 PM
Definitely don't force it. My wife broke one of the tabs on her Sawtooth. They've changed the design a little but they're still not indestructable.

Do you have anything plugged into the back of the Mac? Monitor, USB, Firewire? That stuff all moves when you open the door so if your cables aren't slack enough or they hit a wall or something the door won't open.

serger
Jul 3, 2004, 05:40 AM
appreciate that--- i think i'll probably wait until it does something I don't like before I try and open the door again.

Finiksa
Jul 3, 2004, 06:16 AM
Try laying the Powermac on its side and opening the door, hopefully it's just a cable that's getting caught which should fall out of the way.

awulf
Jul 3, 2004, 09:32 PM
The Power Mac G4's enclosure has a lock on it to prevent theft of items inside the PM if it is in a public place.

The lock (at least on my graphite Power Mac) is located at the back right at the top. This thing slides in and out, if it is out (and the hole through it is exposed) that means it is locked, if it is mostly in it's unlocked.

Maybe its jammed so try pushing it in as far as it goes or if there is a Padlock hanging of it you'll need the keys or bolt cutters.