Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pica93

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2008
Just wondered it anyone knew if snow leopard has or will give multi-touch features to the white macbook 4,1 That can only do 2 finger scrolling at the moment.

I remember reading on MR somewhere, that snow leopard would give it to the older macbooks.
Just wondered if anybody with snow leopard already has found if its there.

Cheers in advance

I have already ordered snow leopard, but i cant wait for it, and knowing royal mail it won't be here until tuesday/wednesday next week! :(

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
No, it's only if the notebook could do the pinch and rotate stuff on the trackpad. If it did, it can now do the 4-finger swipe etc. if it couldn't before. I think it only relates to the early 2008 MBP and maybe an Air from around that period.

two finger scrolling is not multi-touch.

guydude193

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2009
MI
The 'Books that MacRumors was referring to are the ones that already had multi-touch. The addition for those 'Books is just the 4-finger-gestures.

pica93

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2008
No, it's only if the notebook could do the pinch and rotate stuff on the trackpad. If it did, it can now do the 4-finger swipe etc. if it couldn't before. I think it only relates to the early 2008 MBP and maybe an Air from around that period.

two finger scrolling is not multi-touch.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up for me :)

tekio

macrumors regular
May 31, 2009
I'm disappointed that apple didn't add this when they could have easily :(

California King

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2007
Is it some special hardware that those Macbooks have to give it multi-touch or is it just a software thing? If so, I'm sure someone can hack it to get multi-touch! :)

Cyclo0n

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2009
Netherlands
Is it some special hardware that those Macbooks have to give it multi-touch or is it just a software thing? If so, I'm sure someone can hack it to get multi-touch! :)

No its not software unfortunatly, Its purlely hardware, The trackpad from the uMB is based upon the iPhone/iPod Touch screen.

So hacking wont work ;)

tekio

macrumors regular
May 31, 2009
No its not software unfortunatly, Its purlely hardware, The trackpad from the uMB is based upon the iPhone/iPod Touch screen.

So hacking wont work ;)

Hacking would work, there's already a working multi-touch driver for linux that works on the white/black macbook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.