Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RareEarthMetal

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
I never much liked the look of the new macbooks but I got one anyway and i have kept it in pristine condition.

Now im tired of its appearance and was wondering if anyone has used a fine grade steel wool on their macbook?

would it be polished or just looked scratched?

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
If you were to use anything, I wouldn't use steel whool, as it can leave behind material that can rust.

Even bronze whool can form a patina on certain objects.

You might try stainless steel whool.

But why? :confused:

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
MA
don't think it would look like you are thinking....

since the MB is already a brushed finish (of sorts), I think it would just come out scratched.

I have seen it done to the bezel of the iPhone, but that started out glossy, not matte....

hard to go from matte to matte.

RareEarthMetal

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
Hmm, Im guessing it wouldn't give it a polished look?

I feel like trying it somewhere inconspicuous, like the inside of the battery cover to see what it looks like.

perhaps rubbing it with some wd-40 before rubbing?

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
MA
Hmm, Im guessing it wouldn't give it a polished look?

I feel like trying it somewhere inconspicuous, like the inside of the battery cover to see what it looks like.

perhaps rubbing it with some wd-40 before rubbing?

do it up - just take pictures of your mess :p

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
The aluminum on the covers is a bit too thin to hold up to scratching it up with really fine scratches and then polishing it.

The single chunk for the main body is thick enough but throws in the twist of too many holes.

---

If you knew someone skill enough to mill you a top and bottom cover to give you that industrial toughbook look ... that might work out.

At that point, you might as well polish it, and send it out for a nickel or chrome finish. Or one of the other metal finishes.

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
Why don't you just nail some plywood on it? Or better yet, buy 50 assorted sharpies and turn it over to a kindergarten class for a day?

Some of you people crack me up. :D

i reckon it would be cool to strip it down, paint it with the paint that has metal filings in it to rust, let them rust then put a clear coat over it. The macbook would look real old-school like it had been left in the rain for 25 years (and it was steel). Damn its tempting to do something like that once applecare runs out!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.