PDA

View Full Version : G4 iMac as iTunes server

iowamensan
Aug 25, 2009, 03:20 PM
I just got a free G4 iMac 800 Mhz, and was hoping to use it to replace the G4 400 PowerMac I'm currently using. The one thing I forgot was that I had to buy a USB 2.0 card for the PowerMac and the iMac only has USB 1. I could swap all my USB 2 externals for FireWire ones, but that seems silly. Other than buying some type of network or FireWire storage appliance, I'm out of luck aren't I? Thanks -

ethical
Aug 25, 2009, 03:39 PM
I dont really understand the reference to using the computer as an iTunes server. What exactly is the problem?

iowamensan
Aug 25, 2009, 09:08 PM
RIght now I have a G4 PowerMac in the basement with about 2 TB of external drives that stream movies and music to the Apple TV in my living room. I thought that the iMac would look a bit cleaner (getting rid of the CRT), but USB 1 wouldn't be fast enough to stream video, would it? And there isn't any type of FireWire to USB 2 adapter? One of my drives is FireWire, but the rest are USB 2.

Shake 'n' Bake
Aug 25, 2009, 09:51 PM
Here's my guide. Too lazy to make a hyperlink, so here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=760268.

iowamensan
Aug 26, 2009, 08:31 AM
Here's my guide. Too lazy to make a hyperlink, so here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=760268.

Thanks for the info, but I guess I should have been more clear. I already have an iTunes server - the 400 MHz PowerMac. I was wanting to replace that with the G4 iMac, but my original question should have read - is there any way to get USB 2 speeds on a G4 iMac? Some sort of FireWire-USB adapter or something?

Shake 'n' Bake
Aug 26, 2009, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the info, but I guess I should have been more clear. I already have an iTunes server - the 400 MHz PowerMac. I was wanting to replace that with the G4 iMac, but my original question should have read - is there any way to get USB 2 speeds on a G4 iMac? Some sort of FireWire-USB adapter or something?

There are adapters for FW/USB, but they're hard to find and don't always work. However, USB 2 and USB 1.1 are backwards compatible, so you can use the iMac that way.

I'd just stick with the PowerMac, if you can.