Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

byke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
Do you think based on MBA (Rev B or C) that we could ever see improved flash support based on the current hardware?

Or will we need to see improved MBA specs / better hardware to ever get lower temps, more flash friendly.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Adobe needs to get off their asses and develop a decent version of Flash for OS X.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I agree with both those replies. But I also think Apple should address and attempt making Flash easier for OS X. There is nothing wrong with the hardware in the MBA rev B/C.

I am infinitely more concerned with making Flash work somehow on my iPhone 3GS. We find out it can output HD video yet it cannot support Flash. Apple needs to make technology work on its products. Far too often I try to surf to a site on my iPhone to see blank navigational menus and etc. It is disgusting that it hasn't been solved. Websites are not going to rid themselves of Flash. Adobe is only so liable. Standards are great in concept. A damn working Apple product shouldn't have all these problems. How is Windows Mobile and Web OSable to display Flash so easily? No we don't need to let Apple off the hook; they're completely wrong not to make it work. In my mind Flash is more important than copy/paste. It's a no brainer.

Sorry to the OP for moving onto the iPhone, but it's really the same argument.

mhnajjar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
^^^ Again, Adobe develops Flash, not Apple.

That is true, but again Apple has something to do with it like the tons of limitations that it has on the iPhone OS preventing developers from making what they usually do on other OSs.

Do you think that Microsoft paid Adobe to make their flash crap on the Mac OS? :p

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
If your talking about flash video like youtube, windows users aren't that much better off as HD flash video at this point in time are cpu accelerated so you need at least a dual core cpu to play it with out stuttering, or wait until Adobe makes it utilize more of the gpu power.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Someone can correct me if my logic is incorrect here, but I noticed when reading about Snow Leopard that the Nvidia 9400m supports H.264 hardware decoding for Quicktime X. That takes load off CPU and allows GPU to deal with video while CPU is available for everything else. Now, wouldn't animation in Flash ideally be able to be managed by the GPU also?

Apple has really made the MBA incredible with the 9400m. Between Snow Leopard, Nvidia 9400m, and SSD drive the MBA is an absolutely amazing Mac. I am so amazed by my MBA, and it just keeps getting better. Will be nice if either Apple or Adobe can figure out how to offload Flash work to GPU. Again, I don't know the specifics, but the 9400m impresses me time and time again.

I think the rev B/C MBAs are incredible little Macs. Their hardware is solid and the picture keeps getting better. Go MBA, GO!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.