Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
That don't call him man's best friend for nothing. A dog truly can melt a man's heart. How could you continue anger after such and encounter. Thank you friendly dog! :)

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
ahahha, I can see this guy walking into the middle of a crowded bank with an air rifle saying: "Put all the money in the bag!!! Nobody try to be a hero!!!"

:D

hmmm, it appears that even mentally disturbed people have a heart. Put that guy in an asylum with a dog, and he'll be the happiest man alive.

Edit: oh yeah! my avatar is a dog!

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
wow, that's just nuts - and so is this guy. Really makes you wonder what they're going to do with him, though. What if he gets out and next time there isn't a friendly dog to persuade him to give up his plans of Armageddon?

And I imagine that if he went on a shooting spree, he wouldn't have ended up in jail for life....he would probably been taken out by the police....

D :(

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Better at what?

Great story but I remain unconvinced that dogs are better than cats. Surelly all the cats that have warmed the hearts of potential murderers should also be acknowledged. Anyway, exactly what are dogs better at? This mad Canadian could have spotted a friendly cat and the story would have been virtually identical.

Sabbath

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2003
London
Stupid woofers better than cats never!

No, no, no this is surely a piece of proganda picked out by the pro-dog anti-cat lobby. We can't let this sort of thing be.

I stand by the cats :D :rolleyes:

Frohickey

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2003
PRK
Missing Toddler Found Guarded By Family Dog

Missing Toddler Found Guarded By Family Dog

BETHLEHEM, Ind. -- Some 90 people searched through the night for a missing 2-year old girl before she was found safe Wednesday morning with a family dog on an Ohio River bank.

Daisy Smith was found more than a mile from her home by a Clark County conservation officer taking part in a search that began after she and the dog disappeared from the family's back yard about 5:30 p.m. Tuesday.

Conservation Officer Andy Crozier found the girl about 6:30 a.m. after following dog tracks that led him to the family's Labrador retriever at the site about 25 miles northeast of Louisville, Ky.

"I found the tracks and just followed them," Crozier told The Evening News of Jeffersonville. "When I first found the girl she appeared fine, but obviously scared. The dog was a little hesitant to let me get near her, after I made up to him a little bit he let me bring her to safety."

Emergency management workers examined the girl at the home of her parents -- Les and Cheryl Smith.

"You couldn't believe how happy I was when I heard," Les Smith said. "My wife called me at work last night and told me what had happened, and ever since then you can't even describe what's going through your mind. When they told me that they found her, it was unbelievable."

Conservation Officer Mac Spainhour said the family dog was to thank for the girl's safety.

"This girl has a guardian angel," Spainhour said. "And it's the dog. He stayed with her throughout the night, and in the end he led us to her."

=====

Another reason why dogs are better than cats. :p

Why Dogs Are Better Than Cats

Dogs will tilt their heads and try to understand every word you say. Cats will ignore you and take a nap.

Cats look silly on a leash.

When you come home from work, your dog will be happy and lick your face. Cats will still be mad at you for leaving in the first place.

Dogs will give you unconditional love until the day they die. Cats will make you pay for every mistake you've ever made since the day you were born.

A dog knows when you're sad. And he'll try to comfort you. Cats don't care how you feel, as long as you remember where the can opener is.

Dogs will bring you your slippers. Cats will drop a dead mouse in your slippers.

When you take them for a ride, dogs will sit on the seat next to you. Cats have to have their own private basket, or they won't go at all.

Dogs will come when you call them. And they'll be happy. Cats will have someone take a message and get back to you.

Dogs will play fetch with you all day long. The only thing cats will play with all day long are small rodents or bugs, preferably ones that look like they're in pain.

Dogs will wake you up if the house is on fire. Cats will quietly sneak out the back door.

Mantat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2003
Montréal (Canada)
I am a cat lover and I think that people dont understand cats mentality which is why it cause so much problem.

First, cats arent used to master/servant relationship. To train them, you need to use some tricks. And yes, its doable to train a cat to fetch, sit, etc... It only take a bit more time (20mins a day for about 10-15 days per trick) and need a knowledgable trainer (look for tips on the net).

Second, if you want a cat with a distinctive personality, dont get a bastard. Bastards are nice cats too, but by carefully selecting a specific race you have more chances to get the kind of cat that is better suited for your needs.

Finaly, almost out of topic: never buy cat or dog food at wallmart or any other big surfaces. Go to a vet clinic or good petshop. CatChow and the like are like McDonald food for animals, and you all have watched 'Supersize me', right?

Frohickey

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2003
PRK
I had a cat that could smell a cantalope as soon as you buy it from the store.

When you take the cantalope out of the grocery bag, the cats MEOWing already, even if all you are doing is putting it in the refrigerator.
Give it a few hours, and even if you sneak and open the refrigerator, and the cat is upstairs, it will come down to make sure you are not sneaking the cantalope away.

And when you are cutting at the cantalope, the cat is a purr machine.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Mantat said:
never buy cat or dog food at wallmart or any other big surfaces. Go to a vet clinic or good petshop. CatChow and the like are like McDonald food for animals, and you all have watched 'Supersize me', right?

I have two cats that are around two years old and I have always fed them dried biscuts and canned food. Lately I have noticed that they are always pestering me for more, more, more! Whatever I serve them is never enough and on the days when they can stuff themselves (thanks to my mistakes) they end up throwing up. I think my cats are food addicts! They are like the Supersize guy, who noted that ten minutes after he finished his value meal he was craving another. I have been wondering about what to feed them. Thanks for the tip, I will check out my local vet.

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
Frohickey said:
Why Dogs Are Better Than Cats.....etc
So, what you're saying is that dogs are better because they're all about us, and cats are not because they're all about themselves.

Isn't that a little selfish? ;)

Personally, I don't get along with dogs at all. Their first impluse is to make lots of noise and slobber all over you, and basically crowd themselves into your personal space, unless they have been carefully trained. A cat, on the other hand, is relatively quiet and unobtrusive with no training at all. Most cats I know will either avoid a new person, or let you extend your hand to them before they come up for a sniff.

But I refuse to live with either species....I don't like sharing my home with anything that sees it as its own territory. :p

Neither is better

They're just different.

You don't say tables are better than chairs do you?

My stupid, soon (but not soon enough) to be ex-wife let my cat out of the house a couple of weeks ago (the day after the first anniversary of my dog dying), and it got squashed by a car. The very day before, I had told her for the umpteenth time that she had to be more careful, because he was eventually not going to come back because he'd be hit by a car.

I love em both. Great animals, but great for different reasons... and they both loved me in the ways that they could...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.