Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sir1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
...or: what makes the iPhone tick when connected to "Works with iPhone"-equipment?

I have a pair of great sounding Jamo i200-speakers and now that also I have an iPhone I would like to be able to use them together. But alas, I get the all too familiar warning that the speakers aren't compatible with the iPhone.

Is there any way to make modifications to (the dock of) the speakers, so that it'll charge the iPhone?
I can live with "airplane mode" or beeps during data-downloads but with no charging of the iPhone they're rather useless to me.

Regards
Søren

Sir1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
Anyone? Should I have posted this in a different forum?

nineohtoo

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
SF Bay Area
You can't modify it, the iPhone 3g is the problem.

If your only issue is not being able to charge, I recommend using a Scosche PassPort Home dock. Lets my iPhone charge on my iPod hifi. It's not flush anymore(my first gen fit on just fine) and sticks out, but at least my speakers don't go to waste.

BTW, my not compatible warning still shows up. No big deal.

Sir1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
There must be more to it than just "the iPhone 3g being the problem." If its possible to make it work with a hardware solution (the Scosche PassPort Home Dock), it should also be possible to rewire/modify the hardware in the built in dock. When you for instance look at car chargers, there are some that work with iPod and not with iPhone, and some that work with both. What's the difference?
I'm pretty nifty with a soldering iron and I'm not scared of trying to make the modifications myself. So, does anyone know what the difference is between the iPod connections and the iPhone connections – or is there more to it? - How come, for example, with the original cable connected the iPhone will charge with any computer usb-port, but not all usb power outlets will let it charge?
Regards
Søren

nineohtoo

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
SF Bay Area
Apple took away 12v/firewire charging from the 3G and later generation iPods. With previous iterations, they removed the ability to sync, but allowed the option to use as a firewire hard drive and to charge.

Now if you're thinking "Hmm, maybe I can just wire something to convert the 12v output to 5v," good luck. The usb and firewire pins fall on different pins, and with USB as a power source, the iPhone does a check when docked that requires a "handshake" from the docked usb device/charger.

If you want more and specific information, go look up the line out discussions that came up when the 3G first came out on boards such as head-fi. But why spend so much time to risk damaging those little pins, when you can pay like $20ish shipped on ebay and get the dock adapter.

Sir1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
I get your point. It also would be a simple solution if it wasn't for the design of the speakers that really doesn't allow anything sticking up from the dock.
But true, it's probably too much of a hazzle to try to make the modifications. Perhaps I should try to sell them and buy a Bose Sound Dock instead ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.