PDA

View Full Version : Anyone actually fix the red ring issue with Xbox360?

bobbyboulders
Aug 25, 2009, 08:36 PM
Alright, so here what I did. My Xbox360 was red ringing so I ordered the 'fix' on line. They have me a some new washers and screws for it. So I opened it up, removed the xclamp and installed the new washers and screws. With the heat sink and processors I thoroughly cleaned them with some solution provided to me by they guys that sent me the 'fix'. I also used alcohol cleaner. I cleaned it till I could see my own reflection and then applied a water drop of the thermal paste provided to me in the package (from the fix). I let the Xbox over heat (while red ringing) for about 20 minutes and then let it cool for another 15min. I put everything back together and turned the Xbox back on and I was able to actually load the game....ooonly for the Xbox to crash again..... It would freeze, I would turn it off and back on, and it was red ringed. I let it over heat and then cool down to meet the same results.

Thinking it could be the way I applied the thermal paste, I took everything apart again and reapplied the thermal paste. Same results. Thinking it was the quality of the thermal paste, I went and bought dynex silver thermal paste. Applied a water drop amount and spread evenly with a plastic card. Spread it enough so that there was just a thin layer of thermal paste on the processors. Turned the Xbox on and I can actually play it for a little bit (3-5min), then it will freeze up again (same thing. When I close it and turn it back on, I meet the red rings again).

I even got fed up and left the case completely opened and point this small portable fan I have, right at the heat sink. Albeit the fan doesn't shoot out much air (it's old), I still meet the same results...

Has anyone been able to fix their Xbox360 from the red ring issue? Am I doing something wrong here? Please advise.

Thanks,

Old Wembley
Aug 25, 2009, 08:57 PM
i have fixed many xboxs using the x clamp fix. try putting a little less thermal paste on next time

fiercetiger224
Aug 26, 2009, 09:04 AM
Alright, so here what I did. My Xbox360 was red ringing so I ordered the 'fix' on line. They have me a some new washers and screws for it. So I opened it up, removed the xclamp and installed the new washers and screws. With the heat sink and processors I thoroughly cleaned them with some solution provided to me by they guys that sent me the 'fix'. I also used alcohol cleaner. I cleaned it till I could see my own reflection and then applied a water drop of the thermal paste provided to me in the package (from the fix). I let the Xbox over heat (while red ringing) for about 20 minutes and then let it cool for another 15min. I put everything back together and turned the Xbox back on and I was able to actually load the game....ooonly for the Xbox to crash again..... It would freeze, I would turn it off and back on, and it was red ringed. I let it over heat and then cool down to meet the same results.

Thinking it could be the way I applied the thermal paste, I took everything apart again and reapplied the thermal paste. Same results. Thinking it was the quality of the thermal paste, I went and bought dynex silver thermal paste. Applied a water drop amount and spread evenly with a plastic card. Spread it enough so that there was just a thin layer of thermal paste on the processors. Turned the Xbox on and I can actually play it for a little bit (3-5min), then it will freeze up again (same thing. When I close it and turn it back on, I meet the red rings again).

I even got fed up and left the case completely opened and point this small portable fan I have, right at the heat sink. Albeit the fan doesn't shoot out much air (it's old), I still meet the same results...

Has anyone been able to fix their Xbox360 from the red ring issue? Am I doing something wrong here? Please advise.

Thanks,

Your 360 has probably gotten to a point where the contacts for the CPU/GPU have "melted", basically rendering the machine beyond user repairable... :confused:

Also, don't use Dynex Silver Thermal Paste! It's basically crappy thermal paste, plus, they don't use "silver" in it. Use Arctic Silver 5 or something similar, since those actually use silver and transfer heat efficiently!

Either get it repaired by MS, or get a new Jasper revision! Mine is running mighty excellent, and fairly quiet! :D