PDA

View Full Version : Doesn't Apple's PB Power Supply Suck?

themadchemist
Jun 27, 2004, 10:26 PM
Hey all. I'm here to complain about Apple, the industry leader in industrial design.

Apple's had some of the most innovative, utilitarian designs ever seen in the arena of personal computing.

However, has anyone seen a Powerbook power supply? Of course you have, and if you're like me, you've wept.

It's bulky in all the wrong places. When you plug it in, it sags under its own weight. Every time I plug it in, it sparks. In the past, I've also had mixed results with various outlets. I have to plug it in a couple of times, jiggle it around, and whatnot to get it to actually transmit the current to my Powerbook. And often, it will eventually spontaneously stop charging. Usually, it ends up losing the contact, begins sparking, and then stops carrying the current.

"Fortunately," the sparking is usually not visible, but rather that loud and foreboding sparking noise. It still doesn't make me feel too comfortable, of course.

Now, my power supply won't even charge the Powerbook if simply plugged into a wall. It can only make a loose contact. Therefore, I have plugged into the wall and jammed it tightly between the wall and a big amplifier I have, just to force it to stay in place. This has been quite successful, but it kind of defeats the purpose of having a mobile device. I'm planning to go to the Apple Store and getting them to replace it. It might be that mine is more defective than most, but I can't help thinking that this is chiefly the result of some critical design flaws.

1) As I alluded to above, the region near the plug is too heavy. Apple should have just put a plug there followed by wire that led to the heavier component. This way, the plug wouldn't sag as a result of the weight of the other component. If you'll notice, almost every other power supply is made in this fashion. All it requires is a simple translocation.

2) Taking my suggestion in one would fix this other problem, but it too is a flaw. That the plug swivels so that it can be returned to a position "within" the square when not being used seems ok, but it actually complicates matters. After regular use, that joint becomes loose. This only exacerbates the problem of losing contact under heavy weight.

Has anyone else had problems? Does anyone know of third-party makers of compatible power supplies? Apple has this proprietary input that precludes using any old equal-voltage power supply.

Plus, I kind of wanted to rant.

javabear90
Jun 27, 2004, 10:33 PM
the clips that your supposed to wrap the wire around fell off and broke, so that sucks, I also have the sparking problem, and it is visible from an angle. However I think it is better than most other laptop chargers

PlaceofDis
Jun 27, 2004, 10:45 PM
im sorry to hear that you are having problems, and i hope apple can fix them for you, i have not had any problems with mine and nor has my gf we both have had our books for a year now.....you could always use the cord that came with the power adapter instead of always plugging it into the wall since this seems to be what you want anyways, i like the fact that i can change from a moble adapter to a longer stay-at-home cord

titaniumducky
Jun 27, 2004, 10:59 PM
Hey all. I'm here to complain about Apple, the industry leader in industrial design.

Apple's had some of the most innovative, utilitarian designs ever seen in the arena of personal computing.

However, has anyone seen a Powerbook power supply? Of course you have, and if you're like me, you've wept.

It's bulky in all the wrong places. When you plug it in, it sags under its own weight. Every time I plug it in, it sparks. In the past, I've also had mixed results with various outlets. I have to plug it in a couple of times, jiggle it around, and whatnot to get it to actually transmit the current to my Powerbook. And often, it will eventually spontaneously stop charging. Usually, it ends up losing the contact, begins sparking, and then stops carrying the current.

That's weird - mine doesn't have any of those problems. Plus the design makes it easier for me to travel with.

"Fortunately," the sparking is usually not visible, but rather that loud and foreboding sparking noise. It still doesn't make me feel too comfortable, of course.

Now, my power supply won't even charge the Powerbook if simply plugged into a wall. It can only make a loose contact. Therefore, I have plugged into the wall and jammed it tightly between the wall and a big amplifier I have, just to force it to stay in place. This has been quite successful, but it kind of defeats the purpose of having a mobile device. I'm planning to go to the Apple Store and getting them to replace it. It might be that mine is more defective than most, but I can't help thinking that this is chiefly the result of some critical design flaws.

1) As I alluded to above, the region near the plug is too heavy. Apple should have just put a plug there followed by wire that led to the heavier component. This way, the plug wouldn't sag as a result of the weight of the other component. If you'll notice, almost every other power supply is made in this fashion. All it requires is a simple translocation.

2) Taking my suggestion in one would fix this other problem, but it too is a flaw. That the plug swivels so that it can be returned to a position "within" the square when not being used seems ok, but it actually complicates matters. After regular use, that joint becomes loose. This only exacerbates the problem of losing contact under heavy weight.

Has anyone else had problems? Does anyone know of third-party makers of compatible power supplies? Apple has this proprietary input that precludes using any old equal-voltage power supply.

themadchemist
Jun 27, 2004, 11:17 PM
you could always use the cord that came with the power adapter instead of always plugging it into the wall since this seems to be what you want anyways, i like the fact that i can change from a moble adapter to a longer stay-at-home cord

which cord do you mean? I'm going to go check my box in the morning. I don't quite know to which cord you are referring. Thanks for the suggestion, though. Hopefully, this cord that you refer to will work.

titaniumducky: I notice your sig expresses your desire to get an avatar. Just quoting the first post (especially when it's so long) and then not even actually posting anything isn't the way to boost post count. ;)

PlaceofDis
Jun 27, 2004, 11:38 PM
with my powerbook (rev a 12") i got a cord that can be attached to the powerbrick, and is removable so that the moble adapter can be put on instead they talk about it here (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/71808/wo/o14EhC5IhbzM2J66R2Z1PbcoYqO/4.3.0.6.10)

i hope this helps clarify what cord i was talking about, and i think its what you would want because then the brick wont be directly connected to the wall

good luck

crazzyeddie
Jun 27, 2004, 11:47 PM
All Powerbooks come with that extension cable, maybe iBooks too?

Gherkin
Jun 28, 2004, 12:01 AM
Yea I just have mine plugged in with the extension cord. The white box thing has never actually been plugged into the outlet.

Macky-Mac
Jun 28, 2004, 12:10 AM
All Powerbooks come with that extension cable, maybe iBooks too?

my ibook came with it.....some people don't realize that the wall plug thing is removable from the power block. Replace it with the extension cord and you wont have the power block hanging off the wall outlet

themadchemist
Jun 28, 2004, 12:45 AM
awesome, folks. thanks for being so responsive to my rant, and so rapidly at that. This why I love this site. :D

oingoboingo
Jun 28, 2004, 01:17 AM
awesome, folks. thanks for being so responsive to my rant, and so rapidly at that. This why I love this site. :D

Australian PowerBook adapters use a completely different design for the plug-in head which connects directly to the wall socket, and don't suffer from the problem you described. They are also packaged with an extension cord plug-in.

kjwebb
Jun 28, 2004, 01:17 AM
I have noticed the sparking sound when I plug my iBook's Power adapter into the powerboard.

I don't like it but I have to ignore it as it is something that always happens with power supply's (especalliy phone and laptop power supplies) due to the power being always on.

garybUK
Jun 28, 2004, 02:17 AM
when i was on holiday in chicago, i took my powerbook and a UK -> US adaptor, and noticed that my powerbook adaptor did this aslo, it looks like its just the design of the US power outlets, the two spade connections are not very heavy duty.

In the uk, the adaptor that plugs into the brick then into the wall is almost as big as the adaptor itself, but because ALL sockets/plugs must be 3 pin (you cannot plug a 2 pin plug into ANY outlet) and must be fused at the plug, the earth pin tends to take the weight of the adaptor.

Also another design flaw with the adaptors, the plug that goes into the powerbook, mine is going, its been showing bare wires for some time now and am just waiting for it to fall off the plug completely and blow the fuse in the plug. and at 60+ a pop this isn't good.

grabberslasher
Jun 28, 2004, 02:46 AM
I'm on my fourth (!) power adapter. They've all worn out and the wire snapped with a combination of 240V sockets and crappy wiring.

Now on this one the plastic (rubber) has worn out and broken at the end you plug into the laptop and it's only being held together by its own wires. I need superglue or something...

kjwebb
Jun 28, 2004, 02:53 AM
One crazy thing about my iBooks power adapter is that the plug that connects straight onto the power adapter, it has no earth, just the standard Australian (as I am Australian) / \ type plug.

The extension lead has an earth with and the
/ \
.|

Plug style (I did the text illiustrations for those who don't know what the Australian power plugs look like).

Interesting that Apple only added the earth on the extension lead.

BTW. The sparking sound doesn't always exist when I plug the adapter in, it usually happens when the iBook is on.

Mord
Jun 28, 2004, 05:22 AM
you know you can just use any fig 8 plug as long as it has the right fuse i just made one out of an old one i had i cut it down to about 30cm so the plug can sit on the floor and not have a nest of wire next to it and it is easy to pack into my bag

mkrishnan
Jun 28, 2004, 07:22 AM
I never use the extension cord cuz I don't want to carry the extra thing around and it ruins the compactness of the adaptor. :o I haven't had trouble with it falling off the wall, though I could see it with really loose power plugs.

As far as sparking, I have a lot of wall warts that spark, usually what I do to be on the safe side is plug the adaptor into the wall first and then plug the computer / phone / whatever side into the phone, so that at least if there's a surge, it doesn't get to the device.

Does the spark damage the power adaptor? Granted that its not a nice thing in any event. ;)

Yuh
Jun 28, 2004, 07:48 AM
I hate the compact adaptor, because it makes the fat "adaptor" bit sit below the level of the plug.... and at my uni, most of the powerpoints are on the wall at ground level... so i can't even plug it in.... i hope you kinda get what i mean... so i have to carry around the extension cable just to get around that problem.

jacg
Jun 28, 2004, 07:52 AM
I'd like to see a springloaded protector that slides down over the connector for when it's not plugged into the portable. So that when I've frogotten to put the cap on, then tread on it, it doesn't get damaged. I've seen this happen a lot. Yes I know they provide a beautifully fitting cap... who knows where mine is!

Kingsnapped
Jun 28, 2004, 07:58 AM
I live in an older house, and some of the outlets that haven't been updated are very "loose." My power adapter falls out a lot, so I can only charge up in my room. I have more problems with the computer end of the cable though. I've found that when I'm using it in bed (on a pillow, for example) if anything touches the little power guy, it stops sending power to the book. I've never understood why Apple couldn't impliment a little lock-in kind of thing to keep the juices flowing.

Savage Henry
Jun 28, 2004, 08:04 AM
The only problem I have encountered is that I no longer get The Green Light of Goodness after it has filled itself to the brim with power.
It now just means I have to remember that it's still plugged in when there's no light.

Sadly that is about the only problem I have encounted with an Apple-portable power supply.

matthewr
Jun 28, 2004, 08:25 AM
I can't speak to the problems associated with the power brick style cord, but I am currently on my 5th power cord (yo-yo style) for my Pismo. Two were replaced by applecare (and those both involved sparking inside the cord sheath due to wear), and two I was able to scrounge from my brother, who has replaced his pismo with a 17 inch PB. The power cord has certainly been the weak link in my recent Apple experience.

mkrishnan
Jun 28, 2004, 08:35 AM
I'd like to see a springloaded protector that slides down over the connector for when it's not plugged into the portable. So that when I've frogotten to put the cap on, then tread on it, it doesn't get damaged. I've seen this happen a lot. Yes I know they provide a beautifully fitting cap... who knows where mine is!

The end that fits into the computer or the end that fits into the wall? The wall end of the US model folds back into the body of the adaptor so that its flush to the side of the body. On the computer side, the little thing that looks kinda like a headphone plug doesn't come with a cover at all, but I guess unless you step on it in shoes....

But maybe the UK one is quite different?

EDIT: I am always scared of applying pressure to the plug while its plugged into the computer, on the computer side, and either bending it, damaging the (female) connector on the computer or stressing the wire coming out of the plug body. I wish it were an elbow jack....

the.snitch
Jun 28, 2004, 09:04 AM
Yea i have no probs with it here, i have the NZ adaptor (same as australia), and it seems to be the perfect balance between size and function. I had a UK one cos i brought th eibook in hong kong (they use UK plugs), but that was pretty darn big and looked ugly (its upside down!). Th eNZ one looks good when pluged in, but i have none of this sagging problem that the US-style gets. i also dont get any sparking :)

Celeron
Jun 28, 2004, 09:09 AM

I'm not sure what your issues are with your power supply but I have none of the problems you mention. To speak to your first suggestion, my power supply came with an extra cord that easily swaps out with the wall plug transforming the power supply into the design you seem to want. Its plugs into the wall like any cord, the power supply ends up in the middle. No hanging from the wall problems, no sparking, none of that.

I have never had any problems with the wall mount plug and it falling out of the wall or the prongs becoming loose and exacerbating the problem. In fact I've often used the power supply completely upside down it hasn't fallen out.

No sparking problems here either. Have you tried plugging it in before you have it connected to the PB? I've never heard nor seen a spark from my power supply. Do you have old outlets in your house?

Sorry if I seem a little heavy handed here, but the suggestions you are making are already in existence. I'll take a picture of my power supply tonight so you can see the extension cable.

Ajmbc
Jun 28, 2004, 02:18 PM
One crazy thing about my iBooks power adapter is that the plug that connects straight onto the power adapter, it has no earth, just the standard Australian (as I am Australian) / \ type plug.

/ \
.|

Plug style (I did the text illiustrations for those who don't know what the Australian power plugs look like).

Interesting that Apple only added the earth on the extension lead.

BTW. The sparking sound doesn't always exist when I plug the adapter in, it usually happens when the iBook is on.

The earth plug on the actual 'brick' is there- remove the plug that goes to the wall, ground is hooked up to the metal 'button' part of the brick that the plug connects to.

ajmbc

themadchemist
Jun 28, 2004, 04:33 PM
I'm not sure what your issues are with your power supply but I have none of the problems you mention. To speak to your first suggestion, my power supply came with an extra cord that easily swaps out with the wall plug transforming the power supply into the design you seem to want. Its plugs into the wall like any cord, the power supply ends up in the middle. No hanging from the wall problems, no sparking, none of that.

Yup, I forgot about this cord. Thanks for pointing it out. Unfortunately, I think I may have put all those extra cables in storage and so I won't be able to get them until I fly back to Chicago in August.

I have never had any problems with the wall mount plug and it falling out of the wall or the prongs becoming loose and exacerbating the problem. In fact I've often used the power supply completely upside down it hasn't fallen out.

Maybe it's just mine. I might take it to an Apple store and show the guys there. It's not so much a question of it falling out. Rather, it just becomes loose and loses contact.

No sparking problems here either. Have you tried plugging it in before you have it connected to the PB? I've never heard nor seen a spark from my power supply.

Yup. I don't think it made any difference.

Do you have old outlets in your house?

Nope, the house was built two years ago.

Sorry if I seem a little heavy handed here, but the suggestions you are making are already in existence. I'll take a picture of my power supply tonight so you can see the extension cable.

No problem. Thanks for taking the time to help.

seamuskrat
Jun 28, 2004, 05:03 PM
i too have the sparking problem. I have Applecare so I have had a new power plug sent to me 4 times so far. All spark on any number of plug types, etc. I am concerned for both the longevity of the laptop and the firehazard. I have seen on the Apple boards that sparking is a major problem.

I have seen a number of G4 iBooks that spark as well. its quick on all of them, but you can see it. So, now I plug it into a powerstrip that is off, and use the button to energize. No sparks, but an extra step and not conduscive to travel.

BrianKonarsMac
Jun 28, 2004, 05:41 PM
what revision is your powerbook? i own a Rev C 12" and the power supply is perfect. I was actually impressed with the build quality, slim form factor, and extend-a-cable functionality. it never comes loose from the wall, no sparking, and works 100% so far (without using the extended cabling). I live in Chicago, I could pick up the cable for you if you really need it?

sorry to hear about your problems id send it back.

jknight8907
Jun 28, 2004, 06:21 PM
If it's just a spark as you plug it in or pull the plug out, its nothing to be worried about. That happens on a lot of things when you plug them in. If you're really worried about computer damage just plug the wall end in before the computer end.

JonBoy470
Jun 29, 2004, 10:45 PM
http://www.apple-power-adapter-complaints.com/

Enough said...

themadchemist
Jul 1, 2004, 10:46 PM
what revision is your powerbook? i own a Rev C 12" and the power supply is perfect. I was actually impressed with the build quality, slim form factor, and extend-a-cable functionality. it never comes loose from the wall, no sparking, and works 100% so far (without using the extended cabling). I live in Chicago, I could pick up the cable for you if you really need it?

sorry to hear about your problems id send it back.

Mine's a Rev B...I bought it about a month before the C's came out. ;) I really appreciate the gesture Brian, and I would take you upon that if I was going to do much traveling with the 'book while in Charlotte. But it's really no problem. My set up in my room is working pretty well and I'll probably go the Apple Store this weekend and try to get my power supply replaced. I have AppleCare, so it should be no hassle. Thanks again, though! I'm always impressed by the generosity of the people on these boards.

JonBoy: Thanks for the link! I'll check it out...Glad...or maybe not glad, to see that I'm not alone.

hulugu
Jul 2, 2004, 02:18 AM

/ \
.|

First, the power-brick is easily the best designed adapter around, it is small and relatively light. It has the cool light at the end that shows either green or orange depending on whether it's charging or not. Apple gives you an extra piece which I used to wrap behind my desk so I don't have to hunt for it. And then they create the adapter kit, so not only can you use your iBook, Powerbook or iPod overseas you can see the absolutely monsterous plugs that the Aussies have to deal with. That thing looks like something is trying to eat my iPod's powerbrick. ;)
The sparking thing is omnimous, but also harmless and you can get rid of it by plugging the adapter to the wall and then plugging in the computer.
Also, to keep the ends from straining against the weight of the brick can't you just flip the adapter around so that the largest section rests against the wall? This is what I also do.

iChan
Jul 6, 2004, 10:55 PM
hey everyone, visit my site at...

http://emeraldgardens.ie/powerbrick/index.htm

I did it up in free time and is came as a result of my experiences with faulty power adapters...

I can't offer a fix, but I have a link for a petition that i think we should all sign.

cheers everyone!

Royal Pineapple
Jul 7, 2004, 03:15 AM
hey everyone, visit my site at...

http://www.geocities.com/meaningless_me/

or

http://192.168.1.1/~stephenchan/index.htm

I did it up in free time and is came as a result of my experiences with faulty power adapters...

I can't offer a fix, but I have a link for a petition that i think we should all sign.

cheers everyone!
HA HA HA, i did the exact same thing to my broken power adapter, nice that you took pictures tho.

mkrishnan
Jul 7, 2004, 07:01 AM
iChan, I signed your petition. Thanks for making the effort. Although I have not yet had a PS failure, I wouldn't mind seeing an improvement....

jane doe
Jul 7, 2004, 08:54 AM
Sparking is normal for any electrical plug that has a poor connection. The two prongs on the "brick" are made to plug into a power strip that sits on the ground. For wall hanging plugs, use the supplied cord with the power brick. This will stop the sparking.

DGFan
Jul 7, 2004, 11:43 AM
It's kind of funny to read this rant. Whenever people ask me why I like using Macs one of the reasons I give is their great design work. The example I usually give is the Powerbook power adapter. It's truly a thing of wonder to me. The compactness, the built-in hooks for storing the cable, the removable plug design, it's all good....

dvdh
Jul 7, 2004, 12:07 PM
I still believe the ibook/pbook adaptor to be the best designed one on the market. No one else has put anywhere near the consideration into the details on powerbrick design that apple has. I can't really think of any other company that provides the option of two ways to plug the brick in, a means to wrap the cord (and secure it), sleek looks and a nice size, and that nifty charge / charging light. Pretty much everything else on the market is a big black brick with two absurdly heavy cords coming out of it.

About the problems with sparking, I have yet to see those, but am in the practice of plugging in the adaptor first, and then the ibook. (and I don't use the cord regularly as I carry my laptop around everyday.)

For those that do have problems: sorry. However, I still think its a brilliant design. . . .

iChan
Jul 7, 2004, 01:48 PM
nobody is really disputing the fact that the apple power adapters are a brilliant design. I mean, they look fantastic. however, it must be said. the reliability and build quality leaves a lot to be desired.

iChan
Jul 7, 2004, 01:49 PM
iChan, I signed your petition. Thanks for making the effort. Although I have not yet had a PS failure, I wouldn't mind seeing an improvement....

thanks for signing the petition. every little helps.

mpopkin
Jul 7, 2004, 02:54 PM
NO Problems with mine whatsoever, actually i love the powerbook powersupply, i leave the long cable plugged in at home and just wrap up the cable along the hinges and plug in the mini power adapter and travel with it, when i come back in the evening, i just unplug the mini, snap in the long cable and there instant power, it really is convenient. SOrry about your trouble, just take it back to apple and ask/demand a new one.

7on
Jul 7, 2004, 03:23 PM
would you guys rather want this?

http://buy.overstock.com/images/products/L930906.jpg

mkrishnan
Jul 8, 2004, 12:10 AM
would you guys rather want this?

Come now...if we held Apple to the standards of the PC world, we could've all bought Dells. :p

Seriously, the power supply was one of the things I adored when I first got my iBook. Like I said in my previous post, I signed iChan's petition but I have not had this issue myself. I think its a lovely design, and hands-down the best idea in power brick design I've seen on a notebook. OTOH, this issue with fraying cords at one or both ends does not seem to be so isolated. Others have complained about it in other threads. I think Apple is a big enough boy to take the criticism and improve the PS. At least I'd hope so. And that's what I'd like to see. I don't think they deserve to be berated too much -- there's worse out there, but that isn't an excuse.

I routinely buy on good design concept over build quality....but that doesn't mean I'm blind to issues of build quality.

7on
Jul 8, 2004, 11:41 AM
Personally I thing his house wiring is at fault.

Finiksa
Jul 8, 2004, 11:59 AM

Agreed, having so many fail in one place in such a short amount of time is highly suspicious.

I've had one running for almost two and a half years without a problem, and have a few friends with elderly power bricks that work perfectly. I think Apple finally got the design right with the white square power supply.

iChan
Jul 8, 2004, 12:55 PM

no, it is most certainly not... I have a Fellowes surge protector and and it is always plugged into it...

also, the two chargers didn't break in the same place. One was in boarding school and the other at home... the third is about to die it seems and it is also at home...