PDA

View Full Version : Snow Leopard & Air Fan Issues

ooo
Aug 26, 2009, 08:18 AM
For those of you upgrading your MBA on Friday to Snow Leopard, I'd love to know if your fan revs up to 6200rpm and if it ever drops back down even if it's just idling. It seems to be a bug on the Air.

bombardier.v2
Aug 28, 2009, 01:51 PM
For those of you upgrading your MBA on Friday to Snow Leopard, I'd love to know if your fan revs up to 6200rpm and if it ever drops back down even if it's just idling. It seems to be a bug on the Air.
Not just the Air - my fans are constantly at 6200rpm on a MacBook White 2.16 Core 2 Duo with 2G RAM - it's driving me mad! I hope there is a new SMC to address this soon!

McGilli
Aug 28, 2009, 02:07 PM
My fan is on almost all the time with the final build - even if it's just sitting idle after viewing a simple web page in Safari.

Spyderturbo007
Aug 28, 2009, 02:13 PM
Mine runs exactly the same way it did before. With Leopard it was pretty much always around 2,500rpm. It's the same with Snow Leopard.

Gav2k
Aug 28, 2009, 02:20 PM
Users are reporting this issue on all the notebooks and even the mini's.

gman901
Aug 28, 2009, 02:26 PM
So what's the recommendation, install or wait? Are the folks who are experiencing fans running at full blast installing as an upgrade or are they doing a full clean install? I have a Family Pack coming this weekend and I was planning to upgrade my Air, my 2 Minis and my wife's MacBook.

MacModMachine
Aug 28, 2009, 02:30 PM
reset your smc after you install or upgrade.

Gav2k
Aug 28, 2009, 02:30 PM
Tbh I've done a clean install and my mini is still silent under all tasks.

ooo
Aug 28, 2009, 02:33 PM
Seems its mixed reports. I did an upgrade.

bombardier.v2
Aug 28, 2009, 02:49 PM
Are the folks who are experiencing fans running at full blast installing as an upgrade or are they doing a full clean install?
Mine was an upgrade from 10.5.8

skottichan
Aug 28, 2009, 02:51 PM
Installed on my 09 15" MBP, and my GF's 08 Whitebook, fans stayed the same.

around 1995rpm for me (clean install)

around 2001rpm for her (upgrade)

Cynicalone
Aug 28, 2009, 02:55 PM
No problems on a Late 08 MacBook Air.

marcovortex
Aug 28, 2009, 04:07 PM
Fan speed is the same in 10.6 for me MBA 2.13 SSD

Scottsdale
Aug 28, 2009, 05:00 PM
No fan noise here on my 2.13 GHz rev C with SSD.

Why doesn't everyone report the exact MBA revision, CPU, and drive type so we can determine what is causing the issue.

I have to assume it's either Intel graphics on rev As. Or it's HDDs on rev B/C models? Or I guess it could be CPU clock speed on lower speed models?

Report Form:

AFFECTED: NO
MBA REV: C
CPU: Penryn SL9600 - 2.13 GHz
DRIVE: 128 GB SSD
CLEAN INSTALL OR UPGRADE: UPGRADE

bombardier.v2
Aug 28, 2009, 05:45 PM
You are a genius! Just done it on my MacBook White and it's now near silent again, sitting at around 1800rpm with just Safari running.

For those that need to know how to reset the SMC:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1411

McGilli
Aug 28, 2009, 05:46 PM
SMC Reset fixed me up - fan never going over 2500 now....

Cynicalone
Aug 28, 2009, 06:34 PM
Report Form:

AFFECTED: No
MBA REV: B
CPU: 1.86 Ghz
CLEAN INSTALL OR UPGRADE: Upgrade

bombardier.v2
Aug 29, 2009, 01:30 AM
You are a genius! Just done it on my MacBook White and it's now near silent again, sitting at around 1800rpm with just Safari running.

For those that need to know how to reset the SMC:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1411
:-(
Only had my MacBook on for about 15 minutes last night when I reported this had worked. Got up this morning, and after another 15 minutes use the fans are ramping up again, 5800rpm and counting. Judging by the sound, I expect that by the time I finish this post they'll be back up to 6200rpm.

Activity Monitor shows no obvious hogs, and I only have Safari and Mail running, neither of which are using large amounts of RAM or CPU time.

iStat shows a gradual increase in the enclosure base heat but not any obvious increase from any of the other sensors. Edit: It also kicks the arse out of the battery, obviously.

Not sure what is going on with this, but it's definitely affecting many of the portable line up.

Report Form:

AFFECTED: YES
MODEL: MacBook White REV: C
CPU: 2.16 GHz Core2Duo
RAM: 2Gb
DRIVE: 250Gb HD

arpiuk
Aug 29, 2009, 10:58 AM
i have the same problem. fans going crazy. CPU temperature going upto 80 degrees, according to istats.

MBA
CPU: 1.86 Ghz

bombardier.v2
Aug 29, 2009, 12:22 PM
OK, I think Spotlight is to blame here.

For those with runaway fans, using Activity Monitor, check 'All Processes' and see if you have 'mds' and/or 'java' as running processes using up to 70% CPU.

Spotless isn't working with SL yet, so I dragged my root drive into the Privacy Pane of the Spotlight Preferences and almost immediately both the mds and java processes tailed off and the fan has reduced back down to 1800rpm.

Next step is to take the drive out of privacy and see what happens after a full index. If the same thing happens I'll delete the Spotlight database manually through Terminal and let it index again.

I'll report back.

bombardier.v2
Aug 29, 2009, 02:16 PM
So, adding to the privacy pane and then removing caused a full index to take place, but strangely, while the indexing was being carried out, the fans didn't go that mental, in fact they weren't running very high at all. It was only when the indexing was finished that the fans ramped up again and the MacBook got really hot.

Next step was manually removing the .Spotlight-V100 folder, rebooting and letting it index again. Exactly the same result.

So it's not the Spotlight indexing being performed that is doing this, it's something funky going on with the finished index itself.

The only thing I can do at the moment is to keep it my boot drive in the privacy pane until a fix is released.

coolbreeze
Aug 29, 2009, 09:19 PM
Report Form:

AFFECTED: No, not at all
MBA REV: C
CPU: 2.13 Ghz
CLEAN INSTALL OR UPGRADE: Clean, always

HiFiGuy528
Aug 30, 2009, 03:18 PM
Seems like a Clean Install is the way to go.

22diomedes
Aug 30, 2009, 04:53 PM
Users are reporting this issue on all the notebooks and even the mini's.

Yeah - I have a mini (Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM) and the fan has been very noisy since I upgraded to Leopard. iStat has also been off and on showing "iavd" as running at around 98% process. When it's not showing "iavd" the fan isn't being noisy. I noticed the SMC reset on the link one of you provided is for the laptops - any ideas on a fix for the mini?

bombardier.v2
Aug 31, 2009, 03:06 AM
Yeah - I have a mini (Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM) and the fan has been very noisy since I upgraded to Leopard. iStat has also been off and on showing "iavd" as running at around 98% process. When it's not showing "iavd" the fan isn't being noisy. I noticed the SMC reset on the link one of you provided is for the laptops - any ideas on a fix for the mini?
Google is your friend:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1543

Spyderturbo007
Aug 31, 2009, 07:48 AM
I already posted, but forgot to include system specs and the type of installation.

Report Form:

MODEL: MacBook Air REV: A
CPU: 1.6 GHz Core2Duo

ratkat
Aug 31, 2009, 02:25 PM
I have the same problem with fans and high CPU usage, upgraded to Snow Leopard last friday, worked fine until Monday, when the fans went into overdrive, restarted, and no difference

iStat reports a process called 5A5A6F46.. (doesn't show the full name) running at 98% and fans running at approx 4500rpm, strangly Activity Monitor with all processes shown, doesn't show the process at all, have reset SMC and PRAM which worked for a while, but then put macbook to sleep and woke it and the rogue process returned again.

MODEL: MacBook 13" Late 2008 Unibody
CPU: 2.4 GHz Core2Duo
RAM: 4 Gb
DRIVE: 250 Gb HD

Microcuts
Aug 31, 2009, 03:27 PM
MODEL: Alu MacBook 13" Late 2008
CPU: 2.0 GHz Core2Duo
DRIVE: HD

So far the SMC reset helped, but as others note that the problem returns, I'm still posting.
I hope there will be an SMC update or something soon.

ddaymace
Aug 31, 2009, 04:08 PM
Hi guys I have also had high cpu utilization from mds and java under SL.

I came across this in the CrashPlan (backup service) support forum:

https://crashplan.zendesk.com/forums/30387/entries/50927

I don't use it but I had a demo on my machine once. I was thinking it is in relation to their app, which uses java.

(If it was just Spotlight/Apple, why is the java process spiking, which is what is confusing me!)

Worth a try, maybe CrashPlan leaves some crap on my system. I will check my logs when I get home.

ratkat
Aug 31, 2009, 05:40 PM
I have the same problem with fans and high CPU usage, upgraded to Snow Leopard last friday, worked fine until Monday, when the fans went into overdrive, restarted, and no difference

iStat reports a process called 5A5A6F46.. (doesn't show the full name) running at 98% and fans running at approx 4500rpm, strangly Activity Monitor with all processes shown, doesn't show the process at all, have reset SMC and PRAM which worked for a while, but then put macbook to sleep and woke it and the rogue process returned again.

MODEL: MacBook 13" Late 2008 Unibody
CPU: 2.4 GHz Core2Duo
RAM: 4 Gb
DRIVE: 250 Gb HD

I've just upgraded snow leopard again over the top of the previous upgrade and it appears to have cured it for now. fans and temp running normally.

macnfab
Sep 4, 2009, 01:04 AM
I haven't noticed a loud fan, but how do I check the speed? My battery is horrible in SL

Greg Aurand
Sep 5, 2009, 08:29 AM
Hello All,

After installing Snow Leopard, I was experiencing the fan running constantly @ 6200 RPM on my black MacBook. I did the PRAM and NVRAM reset—as suggested on this board and via apple support—but this didn't correct the problem. I spent 2 hours on stand-by at the Genius Bar, and their best suggestion was to reload Leopard if the constant fan running was a problem for me.

As one last-ditch effort, I installed the iStatPro Widget, which showed something called "FP-Injector (707)" using 99% of my CPU. I couldn't find anything about this online, but eventually I tracked the parent application down to FinderPop. I went to the finderpop.com (http://finderpop.com) website, and in big letters across the top it reads: FinderPop 2.2 is not compatible with Snow Leopard 10.6.

I uninstalled FinderPop (from the Preferences Pane), and now Snow Leopard is running cool and quiet:) I hope this info is useful to someone out there.

Scottsdale
Sep 5, 2009, 09:13 AM
Hello All,

After installing Snow Leopard, I was experiencing the fan running constantly @ 6200 RPM on my black MacBook. I did the PRAM and NVRAM reset—as suggested on this board and via apple support—but this didn't correct the problem. I spent 2 hours on stand-by at the Genius Bar, and their best suggestion was to reload Leopard if the constant fan running was a problem for me.

As one last-ditch effort, I installed the iStatPro Widget, which showed something called "FP-Injector (707)" using 99% of my CPU. I couldn't find anything about this online, but eventually I tracked the parent application down to FinderPop. I went to the finderpop.com (http://finderpop.com) website, and in big letters across the top it reads: FinderPop 2.2 is not compatible with Snow Leopard 10.6.

I uninstalled FinderPop (from the Preferences Pane), and now Snow Leopard is running cool and quiet:) I hope this info is useful to someone out there.

You went to a Genius Bar and they didn't even check Activity Monitor to see what was hitting your CPU so hard? That's pretty sad. If my computer runs slow the very first thing I do is check to see what is utilizing the CPU, RAM and etc. Pretty sad if an Apple genius couldn't figure that out in less than one minute.

Sorry to read such a terrible story. There are some dumb arses at Apple. Glad u figured it out.

GoCubsGo
Sep 5, 2009, 10:57 AM

Thank you for this tip! I believe it worked perfectly. The temp continued to drop but the fans stayed at 6200. What was odd is that I did not hear the fans as I would have under Leopard. They're never noisy, but I wonder if my perception of noise varies from others.

Anyway, I'm at 52º C and 3500 RPM. So the fans are going a little faster than normal but I am sitting on the couch with a pillow on my lap.

three
Sep 5, 2009, 12:36 PM
Mine still does it, goes to about 6230 RPM max and stops eventually. Same as with Leopard.

masic
Sep 5, 2009, 03:07 PM
I just upgraded to Snow Leopard and so far it works great. Much quicker and more room on the hard drive. I had my MBA for about a year and a half. I was having over heating problems when a lot of programs were running or the temp in the house was on the warm side. The computer would slow down and felt very hot. But now everything seems very good. I do not know what the fan speed is.For those of you upgrading your MBA on Friday to Snow Leopard, I'd love to know if your fan revs up to 6200rpm and if it ever drops back down even if it's just idling. It seems to be a bug on the Air.

lagenomai
Sep 6, 2009, 02:41 PM
Nope my 1.6/ssd is running like a charm since SL. G chat is out for a while but putting Safari in 32bit mode fixes it while they do an update.

I miss the hard drive on the desktop though. :(

Gadgetman99
Sep 6, 2009, 02:45 PM
I got my new rev B MBA at Best But Thursday. The clearance sign said it comes with SL, but of course being a box about 5 months old, it did not. So yesterday I went back and got them to give me a free copy of SL. I installed it last night and have not had an issue with heat. The fan winds up when time machine does a backup, but slows back down when toime machine is done. Temp is normally 50-55c when doing web, email etc. When time machine is running, it spikes at about 78c.

MODEL: MacBook Air rev B
RAM: 2 Gb
DRIVE: 120 Gb HD
CLEAN INSTALL OR UPGRADE: Clean install

Of course I got the "cannot install to this HD because the computer cannot start from this drive" error and had to repartition and clean install. But with
this awesome program called Time Machine, restoring all my settings was a breeze (well, kind of). So far SL has been OK, but does not seem that different to me (of course I am a Mac newbie anyway). Animations and speed is a little faster. Now I plan to get a Time Capsule since I now know how well Time machine works and how handy it is.

fr4c
Sep 6, 2009, 06:21 PM
Nope my 1.6/ssd is running like a charm since SL. G chat is out for a while but putting Safari in 32bit mode fixes it while they do an update.

I miss the hard drive on the desktop though. :(
You can have the HD show by checking it in Finder > Preferences.

PimpIntInxs
Sep 7, 2009, 12:06 PM
how do you check your fan speed? I havent upgraded yet but am going to and I would like to know my fan speed before i upgrade and after. I am running a MBA rev C SSD 2.16 i believe

provda
Sep 7, 2009, 09:39 PM
My fan also went crazy after Snow Leopard on my MacBook, it it cleared up with simply repairing permissions. Hope this will help someone else.

VS007
Sep 7, 2009, 10:26 PM
how do you check your fan speed? I havent upgraded yet but am going to and I would like to know my fan speed before i upgrade and after. I am running a MBA rev C SSD 2.16 i believe

iStatPro (installed on dashboard)

slapguts
Sep 8, 2009, 01:42 PM
I thought I ws doing pretty well until the iStat Menus update came out. My fans stick at 6200, and temp at 63 degrees, no matter what. Even with nothing running besides iStat, and Jaadu VNC. I've tried an SMC reset, made no changes. Might try disabling Dashboard, not sure what else to do.

AFFECTED: Yes
MODEL: MacBook Air Rev. A
DRIVE: 80 Gb HD

EDIT: I forgot to mention, this is with the CoolBook Snow Leo beta running.

EDIT2: I shut down everything but iStat Menus, including CoolBook, repaired permissions, and did an SMC reset. Still getting screaming fans, that never go back down. Doesn't seem to matter what the temps are, once the fans get to 6200, they stay there.

Budan
Sep 12, 2009, 12:18 AM
Thank you for this tip! I believe it worked perfectly. The temp continued to drop but the fans stayed at 6200. What was odd is that I did not hear the fans as I would have under Leopard. They're never noisy, but I wonder if my perception of noise varies from others.

Anyway, I'm at 52º C and 3500 RPM. So the fans are going a little faster than normal but I am sitting on the couch with a pillow on my lap.

You do have a rigid/hard surface between your Air and the pillow? If you're just using a pillow it will block the air vents and cause heating to occur.

cjonesva
Sep 12, 2009, 08:08 AM
After an hour on phone support with Apple and the solution was to take in to the apple store I used this work around until a future update is available.

Download and install fan control
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23137

adjust base speed to 1000 RPM
Lower Threshold to 40. c
Upper Threshold to 70 c

my desktop (mac pro) usually runs between 35 and 42 degrees c
after a few seconds the fan spun down and only kicks in when the temp reaches the lower threshold of 40 degrees C

mac pro

throttlemeister
Sep 12, 2009, 03:33 PM
I don't have the problem, but man, y'all temps are low. Mine runs between 60C and 65C idle and fans at 2000rpm.

President
Sep 12, 2009, 04:36 PM
I thought I ws doing pretty well until the iStat Menus update came out. My fans stick at 6200, and temp at 63 degrees, no matter what. Even with nothing running besides iStat, and Jaadu VNC. I've tried an SMC reset, made no changes. Might try disabling Dashboard, not sure what else to do.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, this is with the CoolBook Snow Leo beta running.

EDIT2: I shut down everything but iStat Menus, including CoolBook, repaired permissions, and did an SMC reset. Still getting screaming fans, that never go back down. Doesn't seem to matter what the temps are, once the fans get to 6200, they stay there.
how u get that temp to be on the menu bar?

stoconnell
Sep 12, 2009, 04:43 PM
how u get that temp to be on the menu bar?

He installed iStat Menus (http://www.islayer.com/apps/istatmenus/).

still in school
Sep 12, 2009, 10:50 PM
man, I hope they come out with a patch soon. mine is at 6200 rmp on idle and my temp is only 52C. :mad:

Scottsdale
Sep 12, 2009, 11:20 PM
man, I hope they come out with a patch soon. mine is at 6200 rmp on idle and my temp is only 52C. :mad:

Some people with original and SMC fan control running say you have to reset the SMC to fix it... hard to tell since you have given no info about your MBA.

itou
Sep 13, 2009, 04:28 PM
i have the same problem after snow leopard.
6200rpm fans running at idle.
rev. a 1.6 hdd 2gb ram.

reset smc twice. same problem.

still in school
Sep 13, 2009, 06:16 PM
Some people with original and SMC fan control running say you have to reset the SMC to fix it... hard to tell since you have given no info about your MBA.

posted in a hurry...

SMC works but it'll eventually go back to high RPM when I do something CPU intensive then i have to do the SMC reset again...

still in school
Sep 13, 2009, 06:45 PM
double posted...

dudup
Sep 13, 2009, 09:39 PM
MODEL: MacBook Air Rev. C
CPU: 2.13 GHz Core2Duo
DRIVE: 128 Gb SSD

Also let me notice I'm from Brazil, living at Rio de Janeiro, which is a damn hot city! :cool:

deanrr
Sep 26, 2009, 01:16 AM
I've been getting only slightly higher temps in normal use but eventually the fan kicks in full speed when the temp is in the 60's, from there the fan is stuck on 6200rpm and temp 65-70C even after restarts until I do another SMC reset

MODEL: MacBook 2,1
CPU: 2 GHz Core2Duo
DRIVE: 320 Gb HD
CLEAN INSTALL OR UPGRADE: Clean

bpm2000
Oct 1, 2009, 07:59 PM
I'm constantly stuck on 6200 rpm @ around 60-65C. white macbook c2d, 2ghz. 2gb ram. 10.6.1. Will happen even on a fresh start with nothing opened after idling a while.

I've had to fresh install because of a HD failure and it happens anyway, even with a SMC reset.

Out of ideas.

MODEL: MacBook 2,1
CPU: 2 GHz Core2Duo
DRIVE: 500 Gb HD
CLEAN INSTALL OR UPGRADE: Clean

ayeying
Oct 1, 2009, 11:06 PM
MODEL: MacBook Air Rev. C
CPU: 2.13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
RAM: 2 GB
DRIVE: 128GB SSD

Same in SL as in Leopard

aleni
Oct 5, 2009, 06:27 AM
rev B, 1.86ghz with SSD. i clean installed SL.

temp is about 65c and the fan is kicking to 6000rpm when watching youtube for a minute. close down safari, the temp is reduced to 55-57c but the fan is still kicking at 6000rpm.

this is lame.