PDA

View Full Version : WWDC: Apple blasts Microsoft's Longhorn

MacBytes
Jun 28, 2004, 12:20 AM
Category: Mac OS X
Link: WWDC: Apple blasts Microsoft\'s Longhorn (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040628012052)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Peter9
Jun 28, 2004, 12:27 AM
who the hell is redmond?

Nermal
Jun 28, 2004, 12:29 AM
Hilarious! :D

Redmond = Microsoft

Plastic Chicken
Jun 28, 2004, 12:53 AM
Now let's hope those remarks reflect some real good substance in the OS...because they sure are funny!

:)

sjk
Jun 28, 2004, 02:08 AM
Pretty funny, but "Introducing Longhorn" ...? We all want something better than that. :)

macridah
Jun 28, 2004, 02:24 AM
I hope "Tiger" will be as good as apple says it will be. Some of those ads talk a lot of trash, I just hope apple could back it up ... and I believe they can, of course.

sjk
Jun 28, 2004, 02:29 AM
The photos originally posted with this report have been removed at the photographer's request.

... since the time of my previous post.

balconycollapse
Jun 28, 2004, 02:30 AM
I think apple is going to do the unthinkable today and announce that tiger will be released for x86 machines ( like itunes was for windows but much bigger!!!)

with the lull between now and longhorn if it ever comes out in 2007 apple has years to fling tiger on a frustrated consumer base that would jump at the chance to finally use mac oses instead of windows on their pc, especially with all the talk of viruses and so forth

i just have a really weird feeling thats what's going to happen

sjk
Jun 28, 2004, 02:46 AM
Nice timing with that "unthinkable" speculation!

balconycollapse
Jun 28, 2004, 02:50 AM
Well when I saw those banners it sealed the deal. Good timing hehehe.

bertagert
Jun 28, 2004, 03:32 AM
"Introducing Longhorn. Redmond, start your photocopiers."

"This should keep Redmond busy."

"Redmond, we have a problem."

Oh my. This should be good!

sjk
Jun 28, 2004, 04:45 AM
Poster images are here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=906182&postcount=11).

simX
Jun 28, 2004, 05:06 AM
I think apple is going to do the unthinkable today and announce that tiger will be released for x86 machines ( like itunes was for windows but much bigger!!!)

Or, um, how about not? This has been debunked many, many, MANY times. It's not going to happen.

billyboy
Jun 28, 2004, 05:40 AM
I guess we can forget MS Office 2005 for Mac

bertagert
Jun 28, 2004, 06:05 AM
That would actually suck in a big way. However, there isn't a chance that ms office won't be around for macs in the next few years. Eliminating it would definitely start pushing the knife into Apple. I'm sure the folks at Apple have some sort of agreement with microsoft on the whole office thing.

iMeowbot
Jun 28, 2004, 06:33 AM
I wouldn't worry about it, the two companies have been trading barbs like that forever. Just in recent volleys, Teh Steve has made the same kinds of comments along the lines of Office is nice, too bad most people are stuck running it on Windows; and MS have had lots of things to say about how nasty AAC is.

J-Squire
Jun 28, 2004, 07:28 AM

with the lull between now and longhorn if it ever comes out in 2007 apple has years to fling tiger on a frustrated consumer base that would jump at the chance to finally use mac oses instead of windows on their pc, especially with all the talk of viruses and so forth

i just have a really weird feeling thats what's going to happen

OK, I have been wanting to reply to several of the posts claiming the above possibility for Tiger. THINK ABOUT IT. This would be THE BIGGEST announcement Apple has ever made, bar none, and it would be announced at WWDC at a keynote not even worthy of live streaming? With no major hype? I think categorically not. Apple is the Ruler of all things Hyped, and would never miss an opportunity to ham up such a huge announcement

Blaaze
Jun 28, 2004, 07:48 AM
Personally I think the posters are absolutely great.

By no means are the posters going to create any tension between Microsoft and Apple. It's just a little humor they have going for them.

In Apple's opinion, it's their idea of advertisement - they think that their product is much better than that of their competitors, and so their posters reflect that with a little trash-talk.

To really get Microsoft where it hurts is for Apple to release an Office suite today.

wordmunger
Jun 28, 2004, 08:08 AM
Hilarious! :D

Redmond = Microsoft

Just in case this isn't perfectly clear, Redmond is the suburb of Seattle where Microsoft's headquarters are located.

thelarryparis
Jun 28, 2004, 08:18 AM
What if they are finally going to release an office type ap intergrated into the OS?

This would be a pretty savy move becuase MS could never do it for monoply reasons.

All in all pretty interesting posters for a non streamed keynote.

1macker1
Jun 28, 2004, 09:44 AM
I hope they dont piss MS off too much.

awinn233
Jun 28, 2004, 10:18 AM
How exciting, I want one of those posters! :)

Mr. Anderson
Jun 28, 2004, 10:24 AM
What's with the hole in the middle of the 'X' in those graphics? It seems a bit out of place and it makes me wonder if it doesn't serve some sort of purpose - a purpose I'm incapable of determining, though...

D

Bendit
Jun 28, 2004, 10:39 AM
What's with the hole in the middle of the 'X' in those graphics? It seems a bit out of place and it makes me wonder if it doesn't serve some sort of purpose - a purpose I'm incapable of determining, though...

D
I don't know if this is a joke or not but I'll bite: It's an install disc.

solvs
Jun 29, 2004, 06:00 PM
No one else caught the comment Steve made about having lunch with Bill? He also mentioned how great Mac Office 2004 is. You gotta love big business.

Krizoitz
Jun 29, 2004, 06:15 PM
Just in case this isn't perfectly clear, Redmond is the suburb of Seattle where Microsoft's headquarters are located.
It always seems odd to refer to some of the cities around here as suburbs of Seattle given that they are accross the lake. I mean i know they technically are, but they just don't seem to be...

King Cobra
Jun 29, 2004, 06:21 PM
Looks like Apple is going ever so slightly increasingly more badass on their advertising. Instead of it being "iTunes + iPod" or "The new PowerMac G5," it's "Introducing Longhorn," hence advertising a competitor product in a negative and unsupported mannner. Yeah, Microsoft might not be too happy about it, but...as we all know, Microsoft likes to take Apple's ad campaigns and change them around a bit. Look for Microsoft to throw some heat back at us. Though, right now, the ad catch lines are kinda confusing -- who's Redman, how is Tiger the introduction of Longhorn, etc.

solvs
Jun 30, 2004, 12:25 AM
Though, right now, the ad catch lines are kinda confusing -- who's Redman, how is Tiger the introduction of Longhorn, etc.
It's an in joke. That's why they're up a WWDC. People there will get them. I doubt we'll see them in the "real world" adverts.

You know, what little there are. :p

thatwendigo
Jun 30, 2004, 12:54 AM
Though, right now, the ad catch lines are kinda confusing -- who's Redman, how is Tiger the introduction of Longhorn, etc.

Ah, the ever-elusive Redman...

Googlism says: ( )
redman is ravens third qb in as many
redman is winless in his last four starts and owns a 6
redman is one of the most exciting artists around
redman is a force of nature
redman is a master saxophonist and an intellectual
redman is irreverently putting wool caps on the bald
redman is also responsible for the production of "da goodness
redman is holed up on a cold
redman is a spirit being whose body is completely red in color
redman is his starting quarterback despite his preseason struggles
redman is one of the best hardcore rappers out there and e
redman is willing to trade biathlon rifle for an m
redman is apt to accomplish what mitchell
redman is doing just that
redman is well liked by her fellow crewmembers
redman is only for law enforcement
redman is not a training system
redman is alleging that i sexually harassed her
redman is again president that the tla fees have been tripled
redman is familiar with the system
redman is the emergency qb
redman is one of the most active archeologists in the united states
redman is the son of legendary sax player dewey redman
redman is currently moving up the lpga tour ranks this season and is
redman is an average fielder
redman is serving as artistic director and artist
redman is scaling back
redman is the camaraderie he has with his high school team and hi
redman is a direct son of smith's streak owned by carl smith
redman is one of the most significant new worship writers of his generation in
redman is a native of ethiopia
redman is trying to do what previous ravens opening day starters vinny testaverde
redman is part of the leadership team of 'soul survivor'
redman is just
redman is chasing her first lpga victory at the new albany golf classic
redman is the lead
redman is scheduled to make one more start before the trading deadline a week from today
redman is known for her long
redman is a fine saxophonist with an equally gifted band behind him
redman is a repeat offender
redman is a multi
redman is patron of the ectopic pregnancy trust
redman is a postgraduate student at cambridge researching russia and eastern europe
redman is back wit' the dope
redman is widely recognised as one of the most celebrated and popular young musicians in jazz today
redman is one of the most exciting and important jazz artists on the planet
redman is no stranger to the hip
redman is in for a surprise
redman is
redman is jill of all trades a skilled tradeswoman and has many local bay area clients
redman is an articulate and
redman is mature beyond his years
redman is a rapper that i never considered to be that good
redman is characterized as a “concerned bystander” with no injury arising from the project
redman is not considered to be worth much
redman is bringing his quartet to campus sunday
redman is trailed by eloise jantzi of the canadian alliance with 29 per cent
redman is concerned to make this happen but i find with all of his albums that only a few songs really translate well into a congregational setting
redman is a frequent visitor and benefactor of the settlement
redman is just now showing how he won those 12 games
redman is pretty damn consistant lyrically from album to album
redman is the stuff of legend
redman is completely in control on every note
redman is a sizzling work in progress
redman is organized around one simple concept
redman is a certified professional photographer who specializes in commercial
redman is proving to be a quick study
redman is currently in the highest position she can reach without being a senior officer
redman is a
redman is joined by cameron brown
redman is known to the hardcore reggae fans and a veteran and a warior
redman is in his element on "dewey's dance
redman is getting just 3
redman is mobility
redman is one of them
redman is at number 6
redman is familiar to many audiences both by sight and by sound
redman is like a modernist
redman is a treasure
redman is a senior consultant with cutter consortium's business intelligence practice and
redman is just one of the artists that you seem to be interested in but can't seem to truly get into
redman is professor and director of the center for environmental studies
redman is to not overdo it
redman is playing a smart football game
redman is supposed to be looking for and doing on each play
redman is just about perfect
redman is proud to call herself a crone

sambo.
Jun 30, 2004, 01:10 AM
No one else caught the comment Steve made about having lunch with Bill? He also mentioned how great Mac Office 2004 is. You gotta love big business.

one of the first people i convinced to Switch was sold after using Orifice for Mac some years ago. why has M$ Office for Mac ALWAYS been a better package than M$ Office for PC?

i too would love to see OS-X released for x-86 chips. an Opteron running OS-X, yes please. otherwise, i'll just have to build an Opteron based linux server to store all the sheisse me and my G5 are gonna create..... :cool:

Krizoitz
Jun 30, 2004, 02:08 PM
who's Redman, how is Tiger the introduction of Longhorn, etc.

Redmond not Redman. Redmond is the location of Microsofts HQ, its located near Seattle.