PDA

View Full Version : iBook from Hell

epheterson
Aug 26, 2009, 09:54 AM
I think I have the iBook G4 from ****.

Let me begin:

Computer is working fine, running 10.4.x (Don't remember). I wanted to install the new iWork '09, which requires the latest version of 10.4, so I run software update.

After software update finishes, and reboots, I'm stuck on the grey apple at boot. No spinning loading circle, don't pass go, don't collect $200. I boot with Ctrl+S and get more info, the same error appears 4 times:

14AppleMacRiscHT is not compatible with its superclass, 11IOPCIBridge superclass changed?
Failed to load extension com.apple.driver.AppleMacRiscPCI.
14AppleMacRiscHT is not compatible with its superclass, 11IOPCIBridge superclass changed?
Couldn't alloc class "AppleMacRiscAGP"
Couldn't alloc class "AppleMacRiscPCI"

After all these, I get:

ApplePlatformExpert::getGMTTimeOfDay can not provide time of day RTC did not show up
mbinit: done
Security auditiing service present
BSM auditing present
rooting via boot-uuid from /chosen: {Hex String}
Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOResources</string><key>IOResourceMatch</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>

Then, for eternity:

Still waiting on root device

Booted to OS Install CD, ran Disk Repair, couldn't handle it. Used DiskWarrior with Target Mode and fixed all sorts of problems {PDF: http://bit.ly/encds}. Computer still wouldn't boot, but at least I had files.

I then did an Archive and Install of OS X 10.5, upgrading it from 10.4. The install finished successfully. On the first boot, while downloading updates and, I remember specifically, starting "Little Snitch" in System Preferences, I ran into a Kernel Panic.

Rebooting only left me with the same kernel panic. "Panic: We are hanging here"
Clever Apple, really clever.

-----------------

I had already made a backup so I decided, screw it. Full format. I did an erase and install of 10.5, it completed successfully and I ran the software update.

Software update failed.

Same. Exact. Error. as the first time.

------------------

It appears that a software update is the culprit, leaving the odd kernel panic aside. I'd like to get this to a current state without spending over two hours formatting and downloading the updates on every attempt. I need some help here.

I believe this computer is possessed by the devil. If you believe otherwise, please post.

themoonisdown09
Aug 26, 2009, 09:55 AM
I believe this computer is possessed by the devil. If you believe otherwise, please post.

Have you tried contacting a priest?

matthewscott661
Aug 26, 2009, 10:42 AM

I'm pretty sure that this driver has something to do with the processor. This may be a problem with the logic board, since the driver fails to load whatever you do to the OS. It also may mean that your firmware is messed up and isn't booting properly. If you go to an apple store they should be able to reset the firmware.