PDA

View Full Version : Want to use my upcoming display as TV!

Makyz
Jun 28, 2004, 12:26 AM
How would I go about using my new 20 inch apple lcd (old revision or new revision whichever i like better after the release), as a TV monitor for watching cable and playing playstation ?

what hardware would I have to buy and would it being widescreen be a problem?

Also something very imporant is that I wont have a tower connected to this screen, its just a screen for my laptop- would I have to have my laptop connected to watch TV? is there any way around this? etc thanks!

I tried to search for this but couldnt find it

Finiksa
Jun 28, 2004, 12:51 AM
How would I go about using my new 20 inch apple lcd (old revision or new revision whichever i like better after the release), as a TV monitor for watching cable and playing playstation ?

Also something very imporant is that I wont have a tower connected to this screen, its just a screen for my laptop- would I have to have my laptop connected to watch TV? is there any way around this? etc thanks!

I tried to search for this but couldnt find it

You would need to use something like the AVerMedia AVerTV STB3. (http://www.averm.co.uk/avermedia/products/tvtuner_AVerTV_STB3.htm) It uses a VGA output though so you'd need a VGA->DVI adapter (if the new displays use DVI as rumored) or VGA->DVI adapter and DVI->ADC adapter for the current model, assuming that combination of adapters would work (I'm not really sure).

I've seen other TV tuners that do much the same thing as the AVerMedia one, I just can't be bothered searching for them, keep looking you'll be bound to find more.

MisterMe
Jun 28, 2004, 01:08 AM

I tried to search for this but couldnt find itBuy an HDTV tuner with DVI output. Some HDTV tuners also have VGA output. You will have to use an adapter in either event, but those are relatively cheap.