Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macandipodfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2008
So basically my Macbook is a piece of crap and keeps cracking. The first time it cracked was around the screen. Apple was able to repair it under warranty in the store.

Then the palm rest cracked on both sides, and the underside cracked as well. Apple sent it off under warranty for replacement of the cracked parts.

Well, I got it back, and it's cracked in another area now, on the top case below the Apple.

I've heard that Apple usually replaces a computer if it's the third time with the same issue, especially if they caused it.

Any chance of me getting a replacement?

macandipodfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2008
From what i understand, a lemon law is a law that states manufacturers of cars are obligated to make the purchase right if a car is not satisfactory.

I don't know what this has to do with a Macbook exactly. From what I read, Apple isn't obligated to do anything.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
From what i understand, a lemon law is a law that states manufacturers of cars are obligated to make the purchase right if a car is not satisfactory.

I don't know what this has to do with a Macbook exactly. From what I read, Apple isn't obligated to do anything.

The cracks are an acknowledged manufacturing defect. Apple is obligated to replace it, since they said they would.

macandipodfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2008
I don't doubt that they would fix that particular part, but it's bound to crack again. That's why I'm wondering if I could convince them to replace the whole computer.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I don't doubt that they would fix that particular part, but it's bound to crack again. That's why I'm wondering if I could convince them to replace the whole computer.
Replace the whole computer with another computer made from the same plastic that cracks? :confused:

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
The cracks are an acknowledged manufacturing defect. Apple is obligated to replace it, since they said they would.

Not on the top case though. Mine is cracked there and they wouldn't replace that part, due to it only being cosmetic.

The palm rest cracking is an acknowledged defect and they do it as a matter of course the top case is more down to luck with the genius.

creon

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2009
If there is a defect that is the fault of apple, you would think they would replace it and not call it cosmetic. I wouldn't of left the apple store until they had done something about it.

To the OP I would take it in and voice your concern. Tell them that this has been a recurring incident and you have been without a computer at the fault of Apple. Demand action and I'm willing to bet that you will leave satisfied.

macandipodfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2008
So now it looks like there are white spots on the screen. They aren't visible unless the screen is black, but it's definitely there. I don't recall it being there before I send it in.

macandipodfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2008
So right now I am pretty ticked. Not only did the "genius" not see the white spots on the screen, he also said that they no longer fix the casing for free. They wanted to charge me $40 for it!

So no replacement and no repair.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
So right now I am pretty ticked. Not only did the "genius" not see the white spots on the screen, he also said that they no longer fix the casing for free. They wanted to charge me $40 for it!

So no replacement and no repair.

what? I'd go back another day, see if someone else can help you out...I doing the same thing tomorrow...and I'm not paying 40 dollars for it!!!

macandipodfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2008
what? I'd go back another day, see if someone else can help you out...I doing the same thing tomorrow...and I'm not paying 40 dollars for it!!!

I'd do that, but I live over an hour away, so it's not really an option.

I guess I'll just live with it for now.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Even if they did replace it, you will still get the white MacBook as a replacement which will crack again in some way anyway. It's an issue that hasn't been repaired yet. If you're looking to get a unibody MacBook (Pro), probably not going to happen.

macandipodfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2008
Call up AppleCare or Customer Relations. AppleCare and CR reps are typically much better than in-store geniuses.

Good idea, since I do have applecare. Do you know if they usually let you send it in for repair?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.