PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a used Mac Book Air. Hard Drive reformat.

MrsJRod81
Aug 26, 2009, 11:30 AM
Hi Guys...

I bought a used Mac Book Air and the owner did not have the original disks.
I have the disks and i tried to whipe it out and now it says the hard drive has an error. How do i reformat the hard drive?

Thanks!

Hellhammer
Aug 26, 2009, 11:31 AM
Just reinstall OS X, it'll reformat the drive

Scottsdale
Aug 26, 2009, 11:35 AM
People have reported contacting Apple. They get the serial number and send out original disks for that model. Those would have both OS X and iLife that shipped on it. You then use the OS X disk and format drive with disk before installing.

If Snow Leopard doesn't check for Leopard, as reported, maybe the new $29 Snow Leopard disk would work too. That is only two days until availability.

Good luck.

MrsJRod81
Aug 26, 2009, 11:37 AM
Just reinstall OS X, it'll reformat the drive...

It says the Hard Drive has an error. Is there a way to reformat it with out the disk? This is my first MAC. So i'm just learning.

MrsJRod81
Aug 26, 2009, 11:38 AM
People have reported contacting Apple. They get the serial number and send out original disks for that model. Those would have both OS X and iLife that shipped on it. You then use the OS X disk and format drive with disk before installing.

If Snow Leopard doesn't check for Leopard, as reported, maybe the new $29 Snow Leopard disk would work too. That is only two days until availability.

Good luck.

Thanks! Maybe that will work.

felux
Aug 26, 2009, 02:54 PM
Yes, contact Apple. I picked up a Rev A from eBay without the disks. I Called Apple gave them the serial. They do cost a bit - about $37 with shipping. But well worth the price compared to the retail package.

I don't think the $29 version of SL will work for a fresh install as it is an upgrade to Leopard.