Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

srexy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2006
Just received my cables from Monoprice and have Plex installed on my kids' iMac. With the new mini-dvi to HDMI converter - the iMac is hooked up to their TV which is about 3' away in a built-in shelf thingie. Everything works great but I'd prefer not to have to unplug the headphone jack that's feeding the TV's sound when they're just using the computer for Webkinz, Club Penguin and all of the great sites that a 4 and 7yr old visit these days.

Is there a way to toggle sound without having to unplug the headphone jack? - I've scoured the system preferences and there doesn't appear to be a way to change sound from built-in output to internal speakers while the headphone jack is plugged in.

Is there any way around this?

Thanks, Rex

IndyLions

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2009
Brownsburg IN
My workaround - a little pricey but...

Just received my cables from Monoprice and have Plex installed on my kids' iMac. With the new mini-dvi to HDMI converter - the iMac is hooked up to their TV which is about 3' away in a built-in shelf thingie. Everything works great but I'd prefer not to have to unplug the headphone jack that's feeding the TV's sound when they're just using the computer for Webkinz, Club Penguin and all of the great sites that a 4 and 7yr old visit these days.

Is there a way to toggle sound without having to unplug the headphone jack? - I've scoured the system preferences and there doesn't appear to be a way to change sound from built-in output to internal speakers while the headphone jack is plugged in.

Is there any way around this?

Thanks, Rex

My problem was similar, as I connect the built in headpone/digital audio jack on my iMac to my home theater for movies - and don't want to pull the switcharoo either. Unfortunately, I never found a "free" way around this issue.

What I did, was search e-bay and find a good price on a USB sound adapter from M-Audio (Transit). I then installed a software program called "SoundSource", which allows me to switch system audio from the Headphone/Digital output to the M-Audio transit, which is connected to local speakers.

A little convoluted, and not free, but it works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.