Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

144927-xm_skydock_300.jpg

Digital Daily reports that Sirius XM announced at a media event today the launch of XM SkyDock, an accessory that will allow iPhone and iPod touch users to receive live XM and "The Best of Sirius" satellite radio in their vehicles. Scheduled to launch in the fall at suggested price of $119.99, the XM SkyDock utilizes a vehicle's cigarette lighter power port to mount and power the device and iPhone or iPod touch.
Dubbed SkyDock, the $119.99 peripheral uses iPhone OS 3's support for third-party hardware to transform Apple (AAPL) handsets into full-fledged satellite radios. Designed to run off a car's cigarette power adapter, the SkyDock charges your iPhone while you listen to it and supports the ability to tag songs for download from iTunes. Better yet, it gives users access to all XM and "The Best of SIRIUS" channels, even those the company infamously excludes from its online feed, like Howard Stern, MLB Play-by-Play and NFL Play-by-Play.
Sirius XM's press release also notes several other features, including iTunes tagging of songs, sports and stock tickers, as well as various alerts for sports and music news.
Listeners can also tag songs they hear on XM's music channels for later purchase from the iTunes Store–including songs on XM's 24/7 artist branded commercial-free channels such as Jimmy Buffett's Radio Margaritaville, Elvis Radio, Eminem's Shade 45, The Grateful Dead Channel, B.B. King's Bluesville, Willie Nelson's Willie’s Place, Siriusly Sinatra and Bruce Springsteen's E Street Radio. Other features include game alerts and sports ticker, artist and song alerts as well as a stock ticker.
The XM SkyDock is compatible with all iPhone and iPod touch models and requires iPhone OS 3.0.

Rumors of the new accessory surfaced last week, although the reports had suggested a slightly lower price point of under $100.

Article Link: Sirius XM Introduces 'XM SkyDock' Satellite Radio Adapter for iPhone and iPod Touch

creon

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2009
Pretty cool device...yet no need from me.

People are making so much money off of iPod/iPhones coat tails...

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
Unless it includes a free subscription of some sort no way. After they changed their prices its just too much.

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
The links are switched around. . . the "mentioned last week one" points to the Macworld article. The article link points to the rumor.

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Funny really, because the iPhone and apps like "WunderRadio" are pretty much the main reason why I would never pay a monthly fee for satellite radio. The fact that they just put their prices up means they can't be long for this world.

Wintrmte

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2006
Idaho
Interesting. I wonder if you'll be able to get the Howard Stern channels? You certainly cannot with their iPhone application, which really, really blows.

natasha69

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
wait, i can't see out of my windshield now.

tomtom's adapter. now sirius' one. what's next. i need an adapter for each one?

someone has to be able to consolidate these things.

mattais

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2008
Bristol, UK
wait, i can't see out of my windshield now.

tomtom's adapter. now sirius' one. what's next. i need an adapter for each one?

someone has to be able to consolidate these things.

My thoughts exactly. Nice idea to have the radio... but too expensive and wouldn't replace something more useful such as the tomtom dock.

macnerd77

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2007
Northern California / Bay Area
Interesting. I wonder if you'll be able to get the Howard Stern channels? You certainly cannot with their iPhone application, which really, really blows.

It gives users access to all XM and”The Best of SIRIUS” channels, even those the company infamously excludes from its online feed, like Howard Stern, MLB Play-by-Play and NFL Play-by-Play.

Via allthingsd

shiseiryu1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
Internet killed Satellite Radio

It's pretty sad that this is going to fail. Satellite radio would be a fantastic idea if the internet and internet-radio didn't exist. I can already get all the radio stations I want via my iPhone. Aside from that, there are several foreign stations that I like to listen to and probably wouldn't have anything close on Sat radio. :(

bigjohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2000
Monrovia, CA
i guess if you live in an area where cellular internet is not possible (and there are many areas like that in this great nation), then this is a plus for you...

truckers will like it...

for a neo-(sub)urbanite like myself, probably not

PlayRadioPlay

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
Having the phone rest on a plastic piece that goes straight down to the power adapter is a horrible, horrible idea. Even that product picture makes it look like a flimsy piece of crap.

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
I wonder why they're still separating the two? I thought the ultimate goal was to eventually just launch the "Sirius XM" line-up with all new devices. I would think using the popularity of the iPhone would be a great "first device" to advertise the "new" service.
Also, in terms of Sirus XM being an "epic fail", aside from their current money problems, in the long run it will succeed. They're still recoupping (is that right?) initial operation costs AND still having to deal with the inflated contracts they paid for exclusive rights when they were competing. When all of the sports leagues have to renegotiate, they'll likely be less money.
I think Sirius XM has the second or third largest subsriber-base of all pay-services in the US (so more than most cable companies). Eventually they'll be fine.

dew321

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2003
I was about to slam this as being a complete waste, but if you've got an iPod Touch, this actually makes sense. Since you can't get wi-fi on the road, it's an easy way to convert the iTouch into a satellite radio receiver for the car. Still, $120 is a little steep considering there are full receivers that cost well below that. And I'd say the benefit for iPhone owners is a little shaky for that money.

TeeJayEm

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2008
there's no way i would spend $120 on that. That's as much that i paid for my sirius radio a few years back. If you used a car charger and a $5 headphone jack you're looking at $40 tops??

mrr

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Finally.

Cool external accessories for the iPhone and iPodTouch are beginning to show up!

So when is someone going to market a friggin EXTERNAL KEYBOARD ?!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.