PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Revisions?

arn
Jul 16, 2002, 12:20 PM
Spymac (http://www.spymac.com) reports on possible laptop revisions at MWNY:

Although initially believed to only effect the iBook line, insiders yesterday revealed to Spymac that both PowerBooks and iBooks will be refreshed.

whfsdude
Jul 16, 2002, 12:34 PM
I sure hope so, I need a new laptop. Arn get the irc chat up the forums are taking a beating :(

OSeXy!
Jul 16, 2002, 12:50 PM
A general revision would surprise me, since it would piss-off those who just bought the recent updates. (Who knows, though, since Apple has been adopting such an ad hoc approch to product releases these days...) On the other hand, an (expensive, but first-on-the-block) SE version of iBook, TiBook or both wouldn't surprise me. (You know, 1GHz/bluetooth/firewire2? - limited edition release of things and technologies that will be standard in the next major upgrade, but not available in any other mac at the moment).

evilfunkgenius
Jul 16, 2002, 12:54 PM
Well, seeing that there is rumored to be no major powermac updates, a laptop revision seems very possible. (Does anyone know if the problems of signal interferance between buetooth and wi-fi has been resolved or disproven yet? If not, it seems a little strange to introduce to opposing technologies...)

Either way, if this laptop rumor proves correct, it would be nice "ammunition" during the supposed high-powered keynote, especially if there are new digital lifestyle devices (ie: "...and we have new this device and new that operating system and a new ipod and by the way, we also updated both of our laptops and put out quicktime 6 and would you look at all these developers and programs...")

Every time things get this "earily" quiet something big is afoot. ;)

arn
Jul 16, 2002, 01:04 PM
IRC Chat is available

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2002/07/20020714174948.shtml

For a Java client...

http://www.ipodhacks.com/chat.html

arn

canadianmacguy
Jul 16, 2002, 02:37 PM
I think spymac is made that they don't get a free ride to MWNY.. they have posted every rumor they've heard of..

I guess this nice thing is I have no idea what is going to happen tomorrow (well, I know there are going to be Jaguar demos).

djniche
Jul 16, 2002, 02:38 PM
if this is correct what do you think of a ti book with either 933mhz or 1ghz -

if this happens then more reason to think that the new powermacs will be going beyond 1.4ghz maybe 1.5 in august!

synergy
Jul 16, 2002, 05:07 PM
Maybe the only revision will be the change in the drive.
Superdrive added to powerbooks. Not sure if they got the size of the thing down enough to fit it into the powerbook but that may be something. Last time they did a quiet announcement of the DVD/CDRW combo drives.

Brent
Jul 16, 2002, 05:22 PM
I would murder for a 1ghz TiBook with DDR. But that won't happen.

Only half a day and I'll be able to allay my anxiousness, though I hope it's not with dissapointment.

Ordinate
Jul 16, 2002, 05:33 PM
I'm all for 1 GHz, higher res screen, new drive, more RAM; but, PLEASE Apple, oh, please, GET RID OF THAT PAINT-CHIPPING CRAP ASAP! Bring on the polycarbonate, or whatever, and be done with this aging behemoth.

Gelfin
Jul 16, 2002, 05:40 PM
I want a Powerbook made of this stuff (http://www.liquidmetal.com/). I saw a video interview with somebody from this company recently, and it's some pretty cool stuff. Apparently costs about the same as the titanium we're getting now. Of course, it's unproven and the company is still in growth mode, so I wouldn't expect to see it soon, but they're working on making cell phone casings out of the stuff. We'll see how it does.

elgruga
Jul 16, 2002, 05:57 PM
I just bought a 667 Tibook which is a beautiful machine, runs X very nicely indeed.

Would I be pissed off if they announced 1ghz Tibooks? No.

I cant see a real speed increase unless they get beyond 1ghz and put bigger caches in and include faster drives as standard.

If the new machines have jaguar, I hope that those who purchased recently can get a free upgrade.

I believe that there will be new product at MWNY - its just a feeling I have.

I am convinced that the PDA (iWalk!) will surface this time - esp. because no-one is predicting it.

Also looking forward to new iTunes and iPod updates.

elgruga
Jul 16, 2002, 06:01 PM
Spymac is empty - does this mean they have some inside stuff about to be published?
Its 6.04 EST.

Ovi
Jul 16, 2002, 06:06 PM

oranjdisc
Jul 16, 2002, 06:13 PM
For Apple to point at 10.2 as a reason for people buying new towers is just stupid. Why? Because on my DP 533 I'll be running Quartz Extreme, the OS will be faster, and I'll delay purchasing a new machine for at least another year. Truth is, I'll bet a lot of people will be getting fresh legs for their machines when 10.2 comes out, not rush out and buy a whole new rig.

QuarkXPress however, is true. I know more people who use it and won't move to X until it comes out.

mozez
Jul 16, 2002, 06:22 PM
somebody wrote that if they made a 1ghz ti, that would definitly mean speeds past 1.4 or 1.5 for the desktops, are you high or something? do we need to explain this again to you? where is the max powermac right now, 1ghz, tibook, 800, previously, highest pm, 867, ti, 667, before that 733, ti, 500, so where do you see there definitly being a 500mhz jump over the laptop? apple always follows what works, they went from 400 to 550, 550 to 733, 733 to 867, 867 to 1ghz, do you notice the trend? so why is everyone so sure that this is going to suddenly change.

anyway, my dream new ti would be a 1ghz, ddr ram, and since ati, go to ati.com, is releasing new boards, maybe a mobilty 9000 with 64, or to kick pcs ass, since they already have 64, and have for a while... make it a moble card with 128 ddr, how sweet would that be, a superdrive would be nice, but i'd rarely use it, not to say i wouldn't like it though.

Ovi
Jul 16, 2002, 06:37 PM

Kid Red
Jul 16, 2002, 07:27 PM
If they update the books, i think it's safe to assume it involves bluetooth.

Macrazy
Jul 16, 2002, 07:42 PM
One of my friend told me that someone found information about 1GHZ Powerbook. The company accident posted on website. Take a look at url before too late.

http://homepage.mac.com/idrivex/PhotoAlbum45.html

dongmin
Jul 16, 2002, 08:00 PM
If Jaguar is as good as everyone says it is, I can see a lot of G3 owners and older systems finally making the jump. It seems to have some significant new features.

djniche
Jul 16, 2002, 08:29 PM
there have been report of 1ghz tibooks that apple executives were using and those inventory web pages can be another proof ... the 1ghz tibook seem to exist and we might just see them tomorrow.

an ealier post said that the ti book and the PM have always been only around 200mhz separation...

if the tibook hits 1g that would mean that the new PM would only top 1.2ghz?! what a dissapointment if this is true. I would like to see 1.2 and 1.4 at the least on the PM. It's time that apple suprises us with higher upgrades to the PM line and stop updating such small amounts. At this rate - Pentium will hit 3.0ghz or beyond before we hit 2ghz

dongmin
Jul 16, 2002, 08:41 PM
If the 1ghz Powerbook is $3580 from Ingram, which is a wholesaler, how much would it be for retail? $4000?

Rocketman
Jul 16, 2002, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by elgruga

If the new machines have jaguar, I hope that those who purchased recently can get a free upgrade.

TiG4-400/500 owners not only barely did not get OSX but got no coupons, rebates or upgrades.

Rocketman

http://v-serv.com/-upload/avatar.jpg

ibookin'
Jul 16, 2002, 11:40 PM
I for one would like to see a G4 iBook at around 600MHz. If 10.2 doesn't give the current G3 iBooks a dramatic speed increase, then I don't know what people like me (who want a small, powerful laptop) will do. 10.1.5 seems to have sped things up on my G3 iBook, though.