PDA

View Full Version : Disk Utility Error :O

Helo2050
Aug 26, 2009, 05:33 PM
http://a.imagehost.org/0287/Picture_1.png

I have no idea what this means, how bad off is it??

I clicked "Verify Disk" and i got that, the other two options worked. I read up on this on Apple's site but I am not having any other issues than the notice. I was told to run Disk Utility ever so often to keep my mac fast. I just happened to do it today and I got that. I am trying to avoid having to do ANY sort of reformat.. I don't have any means of backup. Like I said I am not having any other problems. I am able to restart and log in without any problems. Should I be worried about this since there is no other issues besides the notice itself?

BlueRevolution
Aug 26, 2009, 06:52 PM
Should I be worried about this since there is no other issues besides the notice itself?

No, but you should be able to repair by running Disk Utility from your system restore disks.

Helo2050
Aug 26, 2009, 06:57 PM
Thank you very much! :)

Helo2050
Aug 27, 2009, 01:48 AM
Really quick, if my computer is unable to do that, will this mean it will slow down..

BlueRevolution
Aug 27, 2009, 02:08 PM
Really quick, if my computer is unable to do that, will this mean it will slow down..

No.

Helo2050
Aug 30, 2009, 02:46 AM
sorry just saw this. Just wanted to say thanks again:apple:

Tumbleweed666
Aug 30, 2009, 04:10 AM
[IMG]Should I be worried about this

You should not worry, since your data isn't important enough for you to back up, obviously it doesn't matter what happens to it.

Helo2050
Aug 30, 2009, 09:13 AM
You should not worry, since your data isn't important enough for you to back up, obviously it doesn't matter what happens to it.

Or maybe I am a student who does not have enough money for one? Maybe I was given this computer as a college gift from my grandmother? You should read out loud what you're typing before you post it next time.

Mellingerlocke
Aug 30, 2009, 10:41 AM
I started getting Kernel messages about a week ago and have been fiddling with my iBook (perhaps too much!) to try and fix it. It also will freeze pretty frequently. I turned of my airport and bluetooth, and it seemed to help for a bit but I still get kernel messages sometimes, and it still freezes for no reason. ALSO, my USBs don't seem to want to work. I have a USB drive that I use for getting on the internet (I'm in the Peace Corps and have no other means of interneting) which works fine (kind of) but my externals aren't being recognized and neither is my iPod. I also get this message when trying to verify in disk utility.

Verifying volume “The Love Machine”
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Invalid index key
The volume The Love Machine needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
Volume needs repair

It has also been acting strange in other way. i.e. The Apple icon won't open for some reason. Keep in mind I live in the middle of nowhere and don't have my system disks. Can anyone help me? Please.... pretty please!
-Martin (in Moldova)

BlueRevolution
Aug 30, 2009, 01:50 PM
"Kernel messages"?

There's not much I can do for you without the system disks.

J the Ninja
Aug 30, 2009, 02:01 PM
Or maybe I am a student who does not have enough money for one? Maybe I was given this computer as a college gift from my grandmother? You should read out loud what you're typing before you post it next time.

If $50-$100 for an external drive is out of the cards, at least get a couple DVD-Rs and burn your most important stuff to them. Or maybe get a free Dropbox account. You get 2GB, which should be enough for your important documents.

BlueRevolution
Aug 30, 2009, 02:13 PM
I do strongly suggest you get some sort of backup solution worked out. All hard drives will fail eventually.

Mellingerlocke
Aug 30, 2009, 02:54 PM
Question!
Could using a different voltage as I have been here in Moldova do anything to my hardrive. It has seemed as though my computer gets much hotter than in used to. Is there really nothing I can do without the disks? How much does a nice netbook cost?
Thanks!

Mellingerlocke
Aug 31, 2009, 12:17 PM
Anybody? Why won't my USBs work? Please help a brother out!!!
-Martin

BlueRevolution
Aug 31, 2009, 02:34 PM
Sorry,

There's not much I can do for you without the system disks.

You can't repair the volume without rebooting to the restore disks.

Mellingerlocke
Sep 5, 2009, 06:45 AM
How much will it cost to replace it?

BlueRevolution
Sep 5, 2009, 01:09 PM
To replace what? The disks?

Fishrrman
Sep 6, 2009, 08:51 AM
"I am trying to avoid having to do ANY sort of reformat.. I don't have any means of backup. "

Even on a low $$ budget, there are backup solutions that are available.

Check this out:
http://www.cooldrives.com/satadock.html

You can scrape up $30.

Then beg, borrow or steal a SATA drive from somewhere. Perhaps someone who has upgraded to a larger-capacity drive has an old one they'll sell or simply give away.

Then use Carbon Copy Cloner (free) or SuperDuper (shareware) to back the internal drive up.

- John