PDA

View Full Version : New Apple Displays in 20, 23 & 30" models

MacBytes
Jun 28, 2004, 02:00 PM
Category: Apple Hardware
Link: New Apple Displays in 20, 23 & 30\" models (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040628150059)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

xtbfx
Jun 28, 2004, 02:15 PM
So for a 30" display we have to spend $3900 PLUS have a G5? I don't think so Steve.

TwitchOSX
Jun 28, 2004, 02:23 PM
So for a 30" display we have to spend $3900 PLUS have a G5? I don't think so Steve.

I dont see where it said you HAVE to have a G5.. just that fancy vid card.

xtbfx
Jun 28, 2004, 02:48 PM
I dont see where it said you HAVE to have a G5.. just that fancy vid card.

Straight from Apple's website:

"Power Mac G5 and NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL graphics card (offered as CTO option for new Power Mac G5 customers and as a kit for current Power Mac G5 customers) required to use the 30-inch Cinema HD Display."

drizahy4
Jun 28, 2004, 02:56 PM
Its true makes no sense to me. Its like here's a really hot display for $3200. But wait for the masses of you that want it need a new graphics card. Then it uses the 8x AGP slot. Then on top of that from the apple store...
Special note on the NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra: due to size of this advanced graphics card, the adjacent PCI or PCI-X slot will be blocked and cannot be used. This reduces the number of available PCI or PCI-X slots from three to two.

So to break it down how I think about it...

Losing one slot ................. Finding were to stick that extra card at.
Lowest G5 Mac from Apple... $1999
30" Apple Screen .............. $3299
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra... $599

Steve Jobs telling us all indirrectly to get a new G5 Mac... Priceless

At least they made the screens able to look seemless when they are next to each other. 2 20" screens would look nice.

xtbfx
Jun 28, 2004, 03:03 PM
I hope no one buys the 30" just to prove to Apple that we don't want to lose a slot and pay an extra $600 for an outrageous priced monitor.

wdlove
Jun 28, 2004, 04:08 PM
So are you saying that if I bought a new Power Mac G5 it comes with the Radeon 9600 XT standard on the 2.5. Then if I decided on getting the 30" I would need to also need to purchase a second NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra Card for $599.

I had to purchase a new display when my old CRT died. My preference was a 20" Cinema, especially when they had it for $200 off. Then I found out that I would need a new $450 card. With a 3 year old machine I decided against the purchase.

themadchemist
Jun 28, 2004, 04:18 PM
The 30" isn't meant for people who would gripe about its pricepoint...It's not a consumer monitor, but rather one for serious professionals who actually NEED that much space.

No one is asking you to buy a 30" display. I'm sure you'll live with a 20" or a 23".

I'm disappointed that Apple relinquished the sub-$1000 market. I bought my 17" for $700 and it was worth every cent. However, I couldn't afford to buy a 20" or 1300. That's just too much.

I realize that it might be worth it; but there should also be a display whose price is more in-line with what the average consumer can afford.

It's been a while since Apple has pulled this number, alienating the consumer by pricing an entire line out of a consumer budget...It's unfortunate, and it kind of reminds me of the dark days of the mid 90s.

edit: Well, I just noticed that you can still get the old form factor 17" for 699...So I'll take back SOME of my ascerbic comments, although I'll leave them here for posterity. I do wish Apple had updated the 17", as well. It would have shown a great commitment to that pricepoint, which I still think that Apple might be surrendering...'Tis unfortunate.

montex
Jun 28, 2004, 04:28 PM
Hey xtbfx, you think $3299 is too high? How about a little perspective. Apple's first 22" Cinema Display cost $3999 four years ago and did not come with a video card. Today you get a much larger screen and a very high end video card for the same amount of money.

Put that in yer pipe and smoke it!

nagromme
Jun 28, 2004, 05:37 PM
Not to dwell on the obvious, but:

* That $599 NVIDIA 6800 graphics board does more than just add support for a 30" display. It's an AMAZING graphics board with amazing capabilities. One of them happens to be driving a 30" display. Actually, it can drive two!

* You don't pay $599 for it when ordering a Mac--you pay less: the difference vs. the machine's standard graphics board.

* A display of that res CANNOT be done without special support from the GPU.

* No GPU with that kind of power exists at a smaller physical size.

So don't blame Apple for offering the best out there. That's exactly what this is.

FYI, the displays cost $2999 for educations.

xtbfx
Jun 28, 2004, 05:46 PM
Hey xtbfx, you think $3299 is too high? How about a little perspective. Apple's first 22" Cinema Display cost $3999 four years ago and did not come with a video card.

Well it looks like Apple is going back to the almost $4000 price range on a monitor. If you don't have the graphics card, then the monitor will cost you $3900.

They try to make it look good by saying "It's only $3299". But the fine print says it requires the $600 video card to make it work.

billyboy
Jun 28, 2004, 06:06 PM
The 30" is for people who dont ask how much, just buy what makes them more productive at work. The makers of the Ferrari of the display world dont give a rats a** what us plebs think of the price. If you are in the market, you will have one and probably say ONLY nearly $4000.

TomSmithMacEd
Jun 28, 2004, 07:09 PM
Yeah you guys. Saying you "have" to buy this card is insane. The card blows everything out of the water with the video it can handle. It is the next step in video technology. There is a lot of drool factor that came out from these monitors today. I think they look very very nice. Especially along side a G5, I don't know where some people are getting the "dellish" look out of them. They look amazing. Plus they hang on walls! and tilt!

wdlove
Jun 28, 2004, 07:16 PM
I'm still confused the 2.5 G5 comes with the Radeon 9600 XT standard. Is the lowered number NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra Card actually a better card?

MacFan25
Jun 28, 2004, 07:21 PM
I'm still confused the 2.5 G5 comes with the Radeon 9600 XT standard. Is the lowered number NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra Card actually a better card?
From my understanding, yes, the NVIDIA 6800 is a better card. It may be a lower number, but that's because the NVIDIA card is made by NVIDIA, and the Radeon 9600 (and Radeon 9800) is made by ATI. It's my understanding that they are two different companies, and they use different numbering systems.

The 30" display requires the NVIDIA 6800 Ultra Card. But the 20" and 23" do not.

nuckinfutz
Jun 28, 2004, 08:35 PM
1. The GeForce 6800 would DOMINATE the 9600xt

2. People this monitor is 2560 x 1500 pixels. That's a 2k resolution monitor. People that do 2K scans will eat this baby up.

3. The Dual DVI interface is required because a single DVI cannot push the bandwidth needed for 2500 x 1500 pixels.

Apple is not just for consumers people. They have professional clientele that need products that go beyond what Ma and Pa use at home.

Believe me you are going to see plenty of people who need gonzo space go to two 23" systems running this Dual DVI card. That's 46" of screen real estate. for $4600.

killmoms
Jun 29, 2004, 09:31 AM
I was about to post this when I refreshed the thread and saw it had been, but I'll mention it anyway; firstly, this is the FIRST 30" LCD display of extremely high resolution I've ever seen. Hence the price. This ain't for Mom and Pop. This is for creative professionals, mainly in fields like film and HD video compositing or editing, who need HUGE amounts of room for the size of the images they're working with. The reason it needs the new graphics card is because it outstrips the electronic limitations of the DVI standard. The 23" display that Apple built at 1920 x 1200 was the ABSOLUTE LIMIT of DVI. The 30" is 77% larger—obviously it needed to be powered by dual-link (two DVI channels in one). This card is necessary for that.

--Cless

jsw
Jun 29, 2004, 09:50 AM

It's a far superior card, yes (see this thread, other threads, Apple's site). VASTLY better.

However, 95% of people who buy Macs will be happy with the 9600XT. It's a nice card. I have the old 9600, and it works fine. No, it isn't as good as the 9800XT or, of course, the awesome 6800 Ultra. But... it will be far more than adequate for most non-hardcore gamers and non-high-end video pros. The 9800XT is better, but, if you're going to spend $300 more, I'd probably spend the whole $450 more for the 6800.

The 9600XT and 9800XT come with an ADC and DVI port, so, unless you need to connect two monitors, you're set no matter what you have. And ADC->DVI adapters are pretty cheap (i.e., ADC in the computer to DVI monitor - the reverse way is more expensive because of the need for a power adapter), so you can connect two DVI monitors pretty cheaply.

If you're not buying one of the 30" bad boys, I think the 9600XT - at $450 less than the 6800 - will be fine for you and almost everyone else.

jsw
Jun 29, 2004, 09:54 AM
So are you saying that if I bought a new Power Mac G5 it comes with the Radeon 9600 XT standard on the 2.5. Then if I decided on getting the 30" I would need to also need to purchase a second NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra Card for $599.

I had to purchase a new display when my old CRT died. My preference was a 20" Cinema, especially when they had it for $200 off. Then I found out that I would need a new $450 card. With a 3 year old machine I decided against the purchase.

If you buy a G5, just get a BTO with the 6800 for $450 more - no need to buy it AND the 9600XT.

However, if you're looking to buy in New Hamphire to save taxes, you'd be better off to buy the stock dual-2.5 and spend the $600 on the card - you'd still be ahead dollar-wise. If the Apple Store in NH can order for you and not make you pay the MA tax because you'd pick it up in NH (I don't think they can, but maybe...), then do a BTO with the 6800. Again, only if you're strongly considering the 30" or (maybe) multiple DVI monitors. Otherwise, the 9600XT will be fine.

Cooknn
Jun 29, 2004, 10:26 AM
Hey gang - I have a G5 Dual 2 Ghz with the ATI Radeon 9600 Pro. It's only 64MB but I didn't want to pay the extra $300 for the upgrade when I bought the Mac. I am probably going to buy the new 23" display that runs at 1920x1200. I've read that my current card can support that resolution with reduced blanking interval whatever that means. Sounds like a sacrafice of some sort to me.

What card gives me the most bang for my buck right now? I don't do much gaming, but I do race the sports car mod for Nascar Racing 2003. I'm also getting into video editing and DVD creation with Final Cut Express and DVD Studio Pro 3. Thanks in advance for your assistance :p