Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
:eek::eek:

So the first inside glass piece on the lens has some sort of bubble looking crack thing around the edge, about a centimeter wide and half centimeter tall.
I am not sure how it got there, as I have never dropped, banged, or even mishandled the lens. It sits in my hard foam lined instrument case when not in use...

It does not affect IQ at all, but I would like to get it fixed. Any rough idea how much this will cost?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Is this Canon, Tokina, Tamron, Nikon, Sigma? I think that'll help with responses.

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
Yes

I am the 3rd owner, it was originally purchased years and years ago I believe. Well thats better than what I was expecting though :)

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
first inside glass piece: Front or back element?

Anyway, if it's the front and it's on the edge I wouldn't worry about it as it should effect image quality.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
As Kebab said, it's rare for a defect in the front element to show up in the final image, and in some lenses, the front element is actually just a protective piece of glass- making replacement relatively inexpensive and easy but I think the front on a 70-200 is an ED element. Google says $600.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.