PDA

View Full Version : Pax 2009

sikkinixx
Aug 27, 2009, 08:33 AM
YAY!! PAX is almost here again. Bigger and badder than last year, and apparently selling out like crazy (http://www.penny-arcade.com/2009/8/26/), only Friday and Sunday passes are left (under 1000 of each). The show floor has expanded quite a bit from last year too, pushing out into where the BYOC was last year.

Left 4 Dead 2 (http://kotaku.com/5346360/new-left-4-dead-2-level-appearing-at-pax-as-are-we)(should have been Left 2 Die) is gonna be there like L4D was last year (huge ass lines), and MW2. Halo ODST, Rockband Beatles, Uncharted 2, and the whole thing should be as well :D:D:D:D

Any other west coasters going? East coasters just waiting till PAX east next spring?

2nyRiggz
Aug 27, 2009, 10:39 AM
You're always going to PAX, maybe you should send a fellow MR poster a ticket...like me:D

This time I'll give you my request early. Take lots of pics/impressions of Uncharted 2, Ratchet and Clank, Silent Hill Shattered Memories.

Bless

sikkinixx
Sep 5, 2009, 12:06 PM
soooo, I went to PAX yesterday (ended up selling my Saturday ticket since I didn't have the $$$ to spend the night anymore), but I still saw a metric tonne of stuff.

Sony Booth

First thing I looked at there was Uncharted 2, which is gorgeous looking. It just looks even more polished than the first game (no screen tearing!) and it starts off with Drake running down a street with a big ass truck chasing you. You need to run and shoot out the driver which causes some epic explosions and then seamlessly into normal gameplay. It's that same level we have seen in demos, running through the streets, climbing over the sign etc. The shooting is much improved, and feels a bit better since the thuggies take less shots to kill. All and all feels like more Uncharted, which is a good thing :D

God of War III had a crazy line up all day so I never got around to it, but I did try out R&C: A Crack in Time which is more Ratchet. I only played the Clank level, which has an interesting time mechanic where you can record your action (say to step on a switch), then play it back which allows you to run through the door when your past self hits the switch.

On the PSP they had Gran Turismo, which looks purdy as hell for a PSP game and runs silky smooth. Iono, just more GT so if you like it, now you can play it anywhere! Motor Storm uhh... the winter one, is motorstorm on PSP. You know the deal, boost, overheat, crashing, yay. It seems to lose some of the appeal when you don't hear the huge crashes and explosions.

And speaking of the PSP, they had the PSP Go that you could play. I like it, a lot. It's small, like shockingly small. iPhone size (albeit a bit thicker when it's closed). The buttons are small, as is the analog stick but it still felt really good. Only got to play God of War for a few minutes so who knows how it will feel in the long term but I really liked it. My only beef is a) the function that lets you pause a game anywhere and go back out to the XMB is really slllooooooooooowwwww and b) the screen wobbles just a little bit when slid out, not rock firm like I would like it. Maybe it's because that demo model had seen some abuse. It didn't feel like it would fall apart or anything but just a bit of movement.

MS Booth

Actually the first thing I played when I walked into the floor was Left 4 Dead 2, I had never played the first one on the 360 and never will again because it controls like crap on the controller since the action is so frantic. HOWEVER, it is still awesome. Looks better, the weapons are more fierce and the new super zombies are intense! One dude came out of nowhere and rushed me, then beat the crap outta me. Crazy. The melee weapons are awesome. It allows one dude to swat away close up enemies while the other dude can pick them off with a rifle.

Halo ODST was there, again a huge line so I just watched. Looks like Halo, though seems to have a more realistic vibe to it, it's on earth right? Still, same old enemies, same HUD, same this same that,

Disney Booth

The only thing they had was Split Second which is awesome. Looks even better than Burnout Paradise and feels just as fast except you are on a track racing. The level they had was at an airport but everything keeps blowing up. By driving well you get chances to trigger explosions or blow up signs that fall onto the track and crush other cars. Every lap the track changes as buildings collapse in the way or a PLANE CRASHES IN FRONT OF YOU! Goddam plane looked real low and sure enough, damn thing crashed on top of me with big explosions and hilarity.

2K Booth

Video of Mafia II, which looks neat. More open-world gang related gameplay that is hopefully better than Godfather 2. Bioshock 2 looking a lot like a sequel to Bioshock. And Borderlands, which aside from having the best game cover in recent history (http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/9/2009/08/504x_borderlands_box_art.jpg), looks stunning. The cell shaded art style looks really good. The enemies, I only got to kill mutated pig things, are kind of RE-ish in that they open up with tons of teeth and stuff. The shooting feels like an FPS should but you can see how much HP damage you are doing when you shoot them since it floats off of them and you can get critical hits which basically explode them. It feels like Fallout's system SHOULD have been. I wish I could have seen the gun customization since apparently there are millions (literally) of ways to customize them.

EA Booth(s)

The main booth had Dead Space: Extraction, the on-rails Wii game which is surprising good. It looks great for a Wii game (albeit a bit hard to made out detail sometimes which is low res mixed with dark graphics mixed with a show floor..). The action is very on-rails obviously, baddies come, you dismember than ala Dead Space and see blood flying. Shoot with B, grab ammo/life/stuff with your beam thing with A, reload with Z. Nice and easy. Co-Op worked awesome too.

The Saboteur looked open-worldy in Nazi Germany and wasting Nazi's is always fun. It's stealthy in that you sneak around the base to say blow up a fixture, but you can dress up like a guard and walk around. But if you hang around too long, the soldiers might ask who you are or whatever and then **** hits the fan. The shooting feels good and overall I like the black and white graphics (which turn to colour as you liberate areas).

BF: Bad Company 2 looks amazing. Didn't play it but watched a few demos of dudes fighting in the snow. Crazzzzy.

Nintendo Booth

Scriblenauts is amazing. Nuff said. Just buy it. So cool.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii was actually really good. They have the mix of co-op and competition matched really well where you are working together to say boost eachother to higher platforms but you all fight for coins etc. I still don't like the new graphic style that was in the DS game but gameplay makes up for it. Should be fun with the gf.

They also had Wii Sports Resort and Metroid Trilogy but who cares.

Ubisoft Booth

Only one thing that mattered (since Ass Creed II wasn't being shown until after I left in the main theatre :() and that was Splinter Cell Conviction. Wow. Guided demo with Sam Fisher kicking ass. It's cool not to have to sneak around try to avoid guys. Basically you sneak around to kill mofos. The mark and execute system is really awesome. Fisher put a mirror under the door to see the baddies, marked them and when kicked open the door and quickly shot all of them. It's really cool when they see you and you jump behind a railing, leaving a silhouette in the last place they baddies saw you. Then they will go to that point hoping to get the jump on you while you sneak behind them and break some necks. Awesssome.

Rockstar Booth

GTA Chinatown Wars on PSP was there. I never played the DS version so it was all new to me. I love the look and the driving felt deliciously old school. Unfortunately, the aiming felt old school too.

But the big thing there, the best thing I saw: Red Dead Redemption. It was in some little room and no photos/video allowed and such. Looks so sweet. Starts off with a prisoner exchange which turns into a crazy shoot out. The dude playing starts shooting guys off rooftops, through barrels, blows the gun out of a guy's hand then shoots him in the face. You can kill all the wildlife (there is a lot of rabbits, wolves, horses, mountain lions and even bears) and skin them to sell. Graphics are outstanding. Best looking thing Rockstar has done for sure. Buddy tells us it is bigger than San Andreas area wise (well duh, a bunch is in the desert/mountains) but assures us it's fairly populated with things like camps or hideouts etc. to keep you busy when you are between towns. Towns let you buy guns, do jobs for the sheriff/townsfolk, get drunk and start fights or deal with "ladies of the night". You can rob anyone, steal stagecoaches or just any old horse, take trains between cities or just explore from Mexico to the forrests in the more northern states. I was blown away. My game of the show.

MacRumorUser
Sep 5, 2009, 03:47 PM
^ Thanks man, very interesting stuff indeed.

JackAxe
Sep 5, 2009, 07:44 PM
Cool, but how could not NOT see Death Spank? You had a chance to hear Ron Gilber speak! :eek: This is really the only game I'm drooling over at the moment. His games are some of my all time favorites. :)

So, would you buy Dead Space: Excretion? I'm really torn on this game. I hate rail shooters. I feel they degraded the DS experience by taking that direction -- the Wii part doesn't bother me of course. :)

Beric
Sep 5, 2009, 07:48 PM
I know this is for the PC, but could you check out the Stardock booth? A new expansion for the strategy game Sins of a Solar Empire is coming out at PAX, and as of yet there's no reports from the show. :o

sikkinixx
Sep 5, 2009, 08:14 PM
Cool, but how could not NOT see Death Spank? You had a chance to hear Ron Gilber speak! :eek: This is really the only game I'm drooling over at the moment. His games are some of my all time favorites. :)

So, would you buy Dead Space: Excretion? I'm really torn on this game. I hate rail shooters. I feel they degraded the DS experience by taking that direction -- the Wii part doesn't bother me of course. :)

I saw Ron Gilbert's game, the mob around it was huge so I didn't really get a good sense of what was going on. His keynote was packed I heard so I didn't wanna wait in line for half the day :p

And yeah I think I will grab Dead Space. My only real complaint was it is a bit hard to tell when the aliens are dead since you are slicing off limbs and such before you can kill them. Also the reticule is a bit big so it obscures the enemies when they are bunched together. Still though, it's really cool. The railness didn't bother me but I like rail shooters. The game felt less like a House of the Dead kind of shooter in that it wasn't hordes of dude coming at you but a bit more strategic in its pacing.

I know this is for the PC, but could you check out the Stardock booth? A new expansion for the strategy game Sins of a Solar Empire is coming out at PAX, and as of yet there's no reports from the show. :o

I saw they were talking about it. Sins is way over my head so I didn't watch it though. They did have special PAX pricing on all the stuff.

Speaking of PC I did watch people play (again, the lines... the lines) Diablo III and Starcraft 2. Diablo looks so awesome, all you hear when you are up close is rapid clicks :D Starcraft looks like Starcraft only in 2009. Nice 3D graphics.

JackAxe
Sep 5, 2009, 10:56 PM
Yeah, that would suck to loose half a day for one game, but I'd do it, because it's Ron. :p

I like the slow strategy thing... Eh, I'll get it after I pick up RE5 PC. I feel like it's a loose loose situation. If it sells, the Wii will probably only see more rail-shooters from EA. I'd much rather see the original DS on the Wii, which I'd buy again without hesitation. They'd probably put a huge dumb reticule on it though, just like this new game and RE4:Wii.

sikkinixx
Sep 6, 2009, 10:57 AM
Yeah, that would suck to loose half a day for one game, but I'd do it, because it's Ron. :p

I like the slow strategy thing... Eh, I'll get it after I pick up RE5 PC. I feel like it's a loose loose situation. If it sells, the Wii will probably only see more rail-shooters from EA. I'd much rather see the original DS on the Wii, which I'd buy again without hesitation. They'd probably put a huge dumb reticule on it though, just like this new game and RE4:Wii.

I dunno, I think more rail shooters done right, or with a bit of a different spin like this game is doing would be cool. It's a lot less complicated for people who don't play tons of games since the camera tells you where to be looking for baddies.

2nyRiggz
Sep 6, 2009, 03:11 PM
What happen to Silent Hill Shattered Memories...oh well thanks for the preview.

How was the controls of Borderlands, did it feel "fallout 3"-ish and is it as open as fallout?

Bless

Dagless
Sep 6, 2009, 03:28 PM
The only games on that list I'm interested in is Gran Tourismo and Metroid Prime Trilogy but I guess nobody cares about that ;).
And Motorstorm I guess. I think that would work better with PSP controls, and of course it's been a while since the PSP had a good racer.

sikkinixx
Sep 6, 2009, 05:53 PM
What happen to Silent Hill Shattered Memories...oh well thanks for the preview.

How was the controls of Borderlands, did it feel "fallout 3"-ish and is it as open as fallout?

Bless

I don't think Konami had a booth dude, Activision didn't seem to since MW2 wasn't here *cry*

As for Borderlands, it felt a lot like a real shooter and less like an RPG with FPS clothing. I only got to play for maybe 5 minutes and it was in a small area killing crap so I dunno about the openness.

The only games on that list I'm interested in is Gran Tourismo and Metroid Prime Trilogy but I guess nobody cares about that ;).
And Motorstorm I guess. I think that would work better with PSP controls, and of course it's been a while since the PSP had a good racer.

Well Metroid Trilogy is already in stores no? And we have all played Prime 1 & 2... like 5 years ago :P

I liked Motorstorm, it feels like it should and looks great. Hopefully with some headphones it will have the feeling of the console version because the sound in those games are really key since when it's loud it gets you all in the mood.