Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

askthedust

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2003
enlightenment
Beginning my java classes in two weeks. What is the best Java editor with real sense encoding for the mac?

Any other tips and tricks are appreciated.

rowsdower

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2009
I think most people would recommend Eclipse or NetBeans. Xcode has some Java support but that is not its focus.

Zortrium

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
For beginners? A command-line editor. No reason to touch an IDE like Eclipse or Xcode right off the bat. If you really need a GUI, a clean, simple Java IDE is BlueJ.

If you're already familiar with programming, then a full-blown IDE is probably okay (Eclipse is my favorite for Java).

lee1210

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Dallas, TX
For beginners? A command-line editor. No reason to touch an IDE like Eclipse or Xcode right off the bat. If you really need a GUI, a clean, simple Java IDE is BlueJ.

If you do use BlueJ, don't use System.exit().

I tend to agree that a command-line editor is always the right place to start... but in this case it's rather difficult, because Java's libraries are so vast that I find myself completely hamstrung not having code completion available.

I'd say that you should practice using a text editor to write a few simple classes, and learn to compile and run them from the command line. At least get a feel for the compiler, the errors it outputs, etc. Then move on to an IDE. I use Eclipse, and have adjusted to its quirks... but NetBeans is pretty nice as well. When i was in school i used JBuilder, but i don't think it's free and I haven't used it in a number of years, so i can't attest to its current quality.

-Lee

Wowzera

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Brazil

I tend to agree that a command-line editor is always the right place to start... but in this case it's rather difficult, because Java's libraries are so vast that I find myself completely hamstrung not having code completion available.

I'd say that you should practice using a text editor to write a few simple classes, and learn to compile and run them from the command line. At least get a feel for the compiler, the errors it outputs, etc. Then move on to an IDE. I use Eclipse, and have adjusted to its quirks... but NetBeans is pretty nice as well. When i was in school i used JBuilder, but i don't think it's free and I haven't used it in a number of years, so i can't attest to its current quality.

-Lee
I would tell the OP to try do not use the Java libraries if there's a way to do it without them :p

lee1210

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Dallas, TX
I would tell the OP to try do not use the Java libraries if there's a way to do it without them :p

Code:
public class HelloWorld {
  public static void main(String[] args) {
    System.out.println("Hello, World!");
  }
}

Ah, darn. Already used some libraries. =)

-Lee

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts

-Lee

Interesting... I'm doing a java online course using bluej and .isEmpty() doesn't work. Not just me, the other mac users have the same error. The windows users (using bluej) don't get this error. Their code is running error free.

macsmurf

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007

macsmurf

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
I prefer IntelliJ Idea but I agree that in a beginning Java course a simple editor is probably better.

pcornwell

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2008
Eclipse

Just go to eclipse.org - its not hard - its a basis for most of the industry standard tools and it'll do everything you need. Don't bother with toy IDEs, they are not worth the effort - just go straight to the main event.

Cinder6

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2009
I was about to say my first Java class used BlueJ, but that was my first college Java class (and I can't remember what we used in high school). Anyways, I hated BlueJ, even if it had a couple cool visualization features. Eclipse is excellent, though, and I almost never say that about IDEs.

While I use command line editors (vim) for almost everything, I can't stand to do use them for Java. Not sure why, but the size of the library does make code completion almost essential. In a beginning class, though, I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't use the library classes a whole lot, and learned more about how to do stuff yourself.

ManiG

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2009
My preferred dev environment on mac is XEmacs running on X11. Old habits die hard. :)

I recommend you try various IDE's and text editors, and stick with whichever suits you. It also depends on the project (i.e. a pure mac project, normally you want to use Xcode, like Visual Studio for a pure windows project).

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
Well it would be awesome to get some tips/advice/lessons. i really want to become a developer!

Get a good book (Head First Java for example) and make sure to do the exercises. Also look into online tutorials and if you have the time and $ a class a local college.

stompy

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Wait two weeks, see what they use in your class and then use that. Most Java IDEs are available on every mainstream platform and using the same as everybody else will make life easier.

FWIW, IntelliJ, but the cost reflects that.

IntellJ now has both a paid and a free "communitiy edition." I use the paid edition daily, but have installed the free version to see what it's like.

The free version would work fine for you.

http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/index.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.