PDA

View Full Version : Developer of Konfabulator talks about Tiger's Dashboard

MacBytes
Jun 28, 2004, 08:50 PM
Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Developer of Konfabulator talks about Tiger\'s Dashboard (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040628215013)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

King Cobra
Jun 28, 2004, 08:55 PM
That linkie no workie. Try this one: http://www.geekpatrol.ca/archives/2004/06/28/specialpatrolarlo.php

And, indeed, he is upset that Apple (he claims) copied and steamrolled the idea.

nagromme
Jun 28, 2004, 09:57 PM
"It would have made them look good to work with a 3rd party developer"

But maybe Apple didn't WANT it done their way, but Apple's way, better integrated into the OS? And as gestures to developers go, a pair of people may not be a meaningful gesture really, when seen by bigger developers that Apple really needs to court.

And as for copying... the latest Konfabulator copies Apple's Exposť!

And Arlo re other stuff that's ORIGINAL in Dashboard: "Well, my guess is that we can duplicate some of that glitz as CoreImage is just CoreGraphics with a pubic API (in some places)". More copying?

And "There's nothing in what we've done that's patentable."

I'm not saying I don't understand where Arlo's coming from, I do--and I wish a long and great future for Konfabulator--I just don't think it's QUITE so clear cut.

Sir_Giggles
Jun 28, 2004, 11:37 PM
Im sorry but I've used Konfabulator the last few days what with all the commotion over this program, and Konfabulator stinks. I hate it's current implementation, and it's slow as molasses on my SP G4 867Mhz when you press the F8 key. Plus the fact the widgets are hard to access when you got other windows covering them up. Anyway, SJ said it himself at the end that Dashboard was a natural extension of Expose. And Apple's implementation appears better designed and faster.

jettredmont
Jun 29, 2004, 08:16 AM
I love this bit:

Matt: The point has been raised that Apple had a similar concept to the Dashboard in Desk Accessories back in the original OS. Do you think this at all validates the Dashboard as their own idea?

Arlo: No, People keep bringing up Desk Accessories. Desk Accessories were just mini applications accessed via the apple menu. The idea behind K is not so much about the basic Widgets as it is about empowering people to easily create their own and this is the key part that Dashboard duplicates.

Arlo is hopeless. He's fallen into victim syndrome and it doesn't look like he's coming out.

No, the idea behind K wasn't Desk Accessories. That's not the point (although, again, DA is an instance of prior art, which is one of the many many reasons why Arlo himself admits they have no legal claims here). The point is, the idea behind Dashboard is largely the same as that behind DA.

Between arguing that Apple using a highly-generic name for ... ummm ... widgets ... was somehow a slap in their face, and arguing that Dashboard is a rip-off, but it's highly inferior and apparently has a less advanced interaction model than K (that must have hurt when it came out his butt) ... I hope Arlo's day in the sun ends soon. People who have seen Dashboard and K know the real story; but there are a lot of impressionable minds out there, especially those eager to find something to slam Apple the company on.

mainstreetmark
Jun 29, 2004, 08:19 AM
Im sorry but I've used Konfabulator the last few days what with all the commotion over this program, and Konfabulator stinks. I hate it's current implementation, and it's slow as molasses on my SP G4 867Mhz when you press the F8 key. Plus the fact the widgets are hard to access when you got other windows covering them up. Anyway, SJ said it himself at the end that Dashboard was a natural extension of Expose. And Apple's implementation appears better designed and faster.

Of course it appears faster - it wasn't demoed on a 867MHz G4.

As for K's stuff - you can stick them to the desktop and they're accessible every time you exposť, as an option. Run Activity Monitor and see if you can spot which one takes up CPU. For the most part, they just sit there and look pretty (like me!)

..and I hardly think these widgets are a natural extension of exposť. I don't think the two are related.

edesignuk
Jun 29, 2004, 08:31 AM
I've never really been a fan of the whole Konfabulator thing & widgets, but I do think Arlo and his fellow dev got bent over and ______ up the ____ by Apple on this one. :eek:

netytan
Jun 29, 2004, 09:43 AM
Actually, the current implentation of Dashboard.. or at least the main Window in the screenshots that have been released is beond a joke! Have you see it lol, newbie designers/developers up the ying yang ;). Hopefully this will change before the Tiger is let out of its cage at Apple!

In any case i agree, Dashboard and K are pretty similar. But there is no use complaining that they got ripped off, theres nothing they can do about it even if they wanted to as was stated several times. And like a lot of others i do pick up the helpless victim from the guys. Although this is pretty understandable really.

Its a shame really, if Apple had just worked with them on Dashboard then they could have avoided this ****. Apple doesn't need any more bad publicity right now.

Mark.

OhEsTen
Jun 29, 2004, 11:10 AM
I guess Apple (and every other major developer out there), should just not add anything to their programs, because in reality NOTHING is new, you're going to be stepping on someone's feet out there. Come on people. Do you expect Apple to stop enhancing their product because people might get upset with them?

nagromme
Jun 30, 2004, 02:56 PM
This should lay the issue to rest some: Apple may use the term "widgets" (which Konfab did not invent) but their widgets are far MORE than just JavaScript:

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2004/06/20040630152451.shtml