Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ethical

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 22, 2007
Hi guys,

I came across this the earlier today and seems really good! They have an iPhone app and a web based desktop application.

https://money.strands.com/

Does anyone have any experience with this? I really want to use it because I'm about to head off to uni, but want to know if anyone else has positive reviews of it.

Basically it helps you manage your finances, but to do that you need to fill in all you login details for your online banking services, and obviously i'm very skeptical about doing that. So.... does anyone here use it? Is it useful/safe?

Thanks,

Luke

odelay

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2007
I've been using this for a little while now and I'm finding it very useful for managing my finances. Works like mint.com, but internationally - I'm in the UK and it works great with my first direct account. From a security standpoint it does exactly what mint.com does for linking to bank accounts, and from what I can gather it is secure. Also, it has no control over your bank account, i.e. if someone got into your moneyStrands account, they couldn't actually make any transactions on your account, nor could they see your bank login details.

I'd recommend the service, especially to those in the UK as we don't really have any alternatives that I could find. Kublax is one, but I've read some worrying things about their security.

The new version of the moneyStrands iPhone app is awesome with ability to manually update your account, as well as categorise and tag transactions, view expense/income reports and budgets.

Strands also have a very cool facebook style social networking site (strands.com) for athletes, with training logs, events and there's also a strands app for logging your training, health, eating etc, and communicating with other users. It can also link to your Nike+ or Garmin training feeds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.