Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
This is quite a horrifying story.

PLACERVILLE, Calif. – A girl snatched on her way to school was hidden for nearly two decades behind a series of fences, sheds and tents, even giving birth to her suspected abductor's children in the suburban backyard compound less than 200 miles from her childhood home.

Jaycee Lee Dugard, who was 11 when she was abducted from a South Lake Tahoe street in 1991, was taken directly to the house and sheltered from the world in a secret, leafy backyard, investigators said Thursday.

Her abductor, investigators said, raped her and fathered two children with her, the first when Jaycee was about 14. Those girls, now 11 and 15, also were kept hidden away in the backyard compound behind the Antioch home.

Full Story

This is a textbook case of trauma. I can't imagine what life has been like and will be like from now on for this young woman, her children, and her family. I shudder just thinking about it. :(

MoleSkine

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2009
New York!
She feels guilty for bonding with her captor - but nothing to feel guilty about it was 18 years

Elizabeth Smart's father was gung ho on saying that they dont bond with captors - his daughter didnt bond, she hated them...thats great but Elizabeth spent "only" 9 months with them - sorry but that no where compares to 18 years of your life.

That sick dude said he knew what he did was wrong and he changed his ways and when people hear the story they will be surprised...just shows how twisted this dude was/is

tabasco70

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2009
Japan
Unbelievable what some people do.
Those children haven't seen the world beyond that awful blue tarp. I hope they will be able to adjust to the 'real world'.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
he is the perfect candidate for a pineapple up the a$$. this is from a silly movie my daughter loves. little nikky. the devil shoves a pineapple up hitler's a$$ as his daily punishment.

Heilage

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2009
he is the perfect candidate for a pineapple up the a$$. this is from a silly movie my daughter loves. little nikky. the devil shoves a pineapple up hitler's a$$ as his daily punishment.

Little Nicky. Pretty hilarious at times. ^^

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
nothing could be as bad as the austrian guy who imprisoned his daughter and the children he kept having with her...

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/World/Indians-Abroad/Austrian-man-imprisoned-daughter-for-24-yrs-fathered-7-kids/articleshow/3000402.cms

This article isn't written very well, but in the TV show I saw about it, it was obvious that the wife would have had to have known all about it for decades and just let it happen. Some of the children were kept imprisoned in his meticulously built dungeon with his daughter, others were allowed to live with the family upstairs because they told the public their 'missing' daughter had abandoned them on their doorstep.

RayStar

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2008
This neighborhood must have some of the most mind your own business residents ever. There is no way this should have continue for so long. I have some very busy body neighbors and I think this would have been discovered very early from the start.

I am glad she is alive.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Do you really think the death penalty would help?

Lets see, kidnapped an 11 year old girl, held her in captivity for 18 years, raped her and fathered 2 children, kept his grandkids locked up. Yes, I believe these animals deserve to be put down. Since I don't want to derail this thread, lets agree to disagree about the death penalty.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
seems the guy was convicted before so he certainly gets life in prison and his fellow inmates will have fun with him. i hope they can correct his twisted mind with therapy somehow so that he at least realizes what he did.

i hope the girl and her daughters will be left alone by the press so that they can get the help the need and reintegrate into a normal life. very sad story and I hope that there are no other cases like this out there. this is already the third i know about.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Wait, so this guy's backyard was a bunch of sheds and tents and the coppers never ONCE popped round for a little look-see?

That's just weird.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Wait, so this guy's backyard was a bunch of sheds and tents and the coppers never ONCE popped round for a little look-see?

That's just weird.

They got called once in 2006 but for some reason never searched the property.

Police have apologised for missing an opportunity in November 2006 to find Ms Dugard.
An officer visited the Garrido home when a neighbour - reportedly the then-girlfriend of Mr Robinson - alerted them to suspicious behaviour there.
But the officer only spoke to Mr Garrido and did not enter his property to carry out a search
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8229919.stm

greg555

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2005
Canada
It had an 8' fence across the back that appears to be the end of the yard. And the tents and sheds were behind that.

Still a very sad thing for the police to miss. Especially the 2006 911 call that said a woman and kids were living in a tent in the back yard.

Greg

holland

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2006
Still a very sad thing for the police to miss. Especially the 2006 911 call that said a woman and kids were living in a tent in the back yard.

In one article I read it said the police told the woman that called that they couldn't do anything without a search warrant. The police failed to find out that he was a registered sex offender and the sheriff commented, in the article, that because he is a registered sex offender he doesn't have those privacy rights.

MoleSkine

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2009
New York!
So get this - the daughters of this captor (the 11 and 15 yr olds whom he had with the girl he kidnapped) are supposedely angry that their daddy is in jail.

If they only knew/understdood.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
They likely never will as is the case with all children that are the product of rape. It's hard to wrap your brain around the fact that your existence is the result of a heinous act of violence. Identity formation is difficult because your identity is rooted in the suffering of your parent. Adjustment for these young girls and their mother will be a lifelong process that must be taken day by day.

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2004
disgusts me that with so much evidence against him from the beginning he wasn't caught for 18 years.

when I read the story, I figured he lived in a very rural area with lots of land and no neighbors nearby.

look at this bird's eye view of his back yard... the tents they lived in appear to be right up against their neighbors property line. Ignorance is bliss!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/08/americas_enl_1251635392/html/1.stm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.