Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Mac Enthusiasts;
_
I, like you, have been wondering why there was nothing on our site about the MacWorld schedule._ I've been bugging those in house every day, and getting told we plan to carry it, and are making arrangements.
_
I got the final word today._
_
I'm very sorry to tell you we are not carrying Steve Jobs Keynote from Mac World in New York on Wednesday. Apple will not allow us to air it live or in it's entirety. I was not given reasons, just told that._We will be doing stories on it during Tech Live._ I know that's not much, but right now it is all we have to offer.
_
We had assumed we'd be covering it as in the past, and I was told to let you know we planned to._ We DID try very hard to get this coverage for our Mac Enthusiasts._
_
I didn't want you all hunting around looking for the coverage, so am sending emails again to let you know.
_
Cindy Wakeman/WUGNET
for TechTV Audience Feedback

A Quicktime stream will be available for home users. Links to sites with live updates will be provided.

Bartman

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2002
Re: Re: No Keynote on TechTV

Originally posted by iH8Quark

They might as well replace the apple with a swastika at this point.

I thought MWSF02's coverage was nearly that bad. You would have thought it was MSNBC it was so negative. No wonder Apple told them nevermind. :eek:

ennerseed

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2002
QT6

Probably to push QT6.
Hopefully it will be broadcast in mpeg 4 format.
Hence the early release (before Macworld) of QT6

M_T_Air

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Maybe this is why...

Check out this link: http://www.randommaccess.com/newspro/articles/995556386.shtml

Notice the comment in the latter part of the article... last years coverage was less then favorable coming from techtv. Maybe that's why apple choose not to let them cover it again. I personally didn't see the show but I heard the coverage was terrible. They missed the whole point of OS X and were looking only for hardware updates (but then who wasn't?).

Anyway, the keynote will be streamed on apple's site anyway... so no major loss there.

P.S. Hey, look my first post at macrumors.com :D

dhdave

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2001
NJ
Wow. I held my tongue over the press passes even when I found out they denied one to Macfixit (Macfixit fer cryin' out loud!). I even took a wait and see attitude regarding the $100 per year .Mac fee. But this is patently rediculous. To deny live coverage, which is far more convienent than the flaky Quicktime feed, over "unfavorable coverage" is just rediculous. His Lordship's oft rumored paranoia isn't just bleeding through, it's gushing. I took the day off tomorrow to watch the keynote and now I have to attempt to connect to the tiny quicktime stream, which even over my cable connection is often overloaded. I'll wager this is because the PowerMacs are definitely NOT coming tomorrow. Sigh...

dh

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
This doesn't really surprise me. In the past I've watched the TechTV coverage only if the Internet feed is just too lagged, but I always feel like the commentators are doing a non-funny Mystery Science Theater 3000 treatment of the keynote rather than commenting objectively. It's like everytime they make a positive comment about something, they start getting apologetic. "You know, Bob, that new iMac is an amazing piece of industrial design. It's really beautiful." ... "Yeah, I know, Frank, but let's not forget that it's a Mac so it's underpowered, overpriced, not compatible with anything and there's no software for it." ... "Right you are, Bob." You'd think Gates and Grove were sitting off-camera with revolvers or something.

syntax

Suspended
May 8, 2002
Before all you closet Apple-haters get your mousecords in a knot, please read the comments. TechTV was denied access because their past coverage has been an embarassment -- hideously misinformed, unprofessional, sloppy. Apple has a valid concern here.

JtheLemur

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2002
I sure as hell hope Apple provides enough bandwidth for their own stream. This past MWSF, over a full T1, between two computers, I could BARELY get a decent consistant feed.

Ouroboros

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2002
Oakland, CA
Yeah I saw a bit of the last one on TechTV. They kind of made an undertone through the whole thing of Macs being a silly platform. I got the feeling that they weren't taking anything seriously because "nobody would" - as if we all know that macs are nothing more than glorified pretty plastic, overpriced boxes. I can see how Steve would be pissed. I think by denying techtv, it is doing a SERVICE for Apple. Really the tv outlet was definitely pushing its own agenda which was pro Microsoft, anti-Mac.

F*ck em. I'm all for exposure for Apple, the more the better, but not from a company that obviously knows nothing of the platform, and has a dumbass view of Macs being wannabe pc's in every form. So tiresome....

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
>This past MWSF, over a full T1, between two computers, I could BARELY get a decent consistant feed.
HFS!! Even through a T1 you couldn't get ****?

I logged on for the first time during the SF broadcast during the day hours and I had limited problems with video or audio. And that's with, yep, slow dial-up. I would have thought a T1 would get the job done.

BTW, for those on the forums posting BS using big letters (not you, syntax, but several others)...

WHY IS IT ALL OF A SUDDEN PEOPLE HAVE TO USE BIG LETTERS???

I KNOW SOME OF YOU ARE EXCITED, BUT AT LEAST KEEP YOUR EMBARASSING EMOTIONS TO YOURSELF!

IT WON'T KILL YOU TO USE SMALLER PRINT.

IT MAY KILL YOU JUST TO TRY AND READ THIS, THOUGH!!
:D :cool:

dhdave

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2001
NJ
I want to go on record and state that I am NOT in any way a closet apple hater. But I think for myself, which is why I've always thought I identify with Apple in the first place. So stop your fanatic shouting. I too thought techtv's coverage of the last MacWorld sucked. I guess I just think that Apple and Steve Jobs should be big enough to rise above it and let them say what they want.
If all they do is spin everything in their favor and stifle any voice that does not jibe with their vision of themselves then that is not really thinking different is it? More like thinking the same to me. (Note: I said "IF all they do" I was not implying that it's that way now) That's all I'm worried about --well that and not being able to watch it on the large screen of my tv tomorrow ;)

dh

Ouroboros

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2002
Oakland, CA
Originally posted by dhdave
I want to go on record and state that I am NOT in any way a closet apple hater. But I think for myself, which is why I've always thought I identify with Apple in the first place. So stop your fanatic shouting. I too thought techtv's coverage of the last MacWorld sucked. I guess I just think that Apple and Steve Jobs should be big enough to rise above it and let them say what they want.
If all they do is spin everything in their favor and stifle any voice that does not jibe with their vision of themselves then that is not really thinking different is it? More like thinking the same to me. (Note: I said "IF all they do" I was not implying that it's that way now) That's all I'm worried about --well that and not being able to watch it on the large screen of my tv tomorrow ;)

dh

I agree with what you are saying here. But at the same time, it would also be fair to ask the press, who are doing a coverage show, to keep their mis/under informed opinions to themselves, and simply air the keynote. Something like Steve's keynote doesnt' need commentary like a Basketball game.

gandalf55

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2001
boston
man - if i get the feed straight from akamai and apple, what's better?

i'm ready to see how well this mp4 stuff can stream... cause QT5 was really quite poor.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Well, I certainly am not a closet Apple hater, but for those who are looking for trouble on the forums can kiss Bill's peecee peefore ash :eek: :D

Was that clear enough? :D

IF Apple does use mp4 video streaming, I wonder if Apple will also use mp4 audio streaming, so that we can really find out what Steve will be saying, especiallly under his breath. "Why did I use that f!!king camera in January?" :D

copperpipe

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2002
**** Tech Tv

yeah, that's right **** them and the ponies they rode in on. I saw that last year and it made me very angry, and i ended up beating the lamp-post outside my house with a com-bat. :eek:

breath....breath...

Hey! we all get to see just how cool mp4 is tomorrow! HELL YEAH! we got an early present for this years keynote!!! Apple fans are the first to check it out! Guys, this is exciting!

emoore625

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
Miami, FL
Avoiding all the media can mean one of two things:

It's something huge. The iMac was super hyped, so hyped that people were thinking it was going to be something else. I think we were all kinda disappointed when the iWalk wasn't there. Now all the rumor sites are pretty much lost. Maybe the plan is to knock ass all on our rear...

Then again...

It could be nothing.... Quite possibly it could be just more 10.2 promos.

I have to say that we can probably rule out any "Wow effect" items to be shown. Probably just a speed bump across the board and 10.2 coming out in august. How boring.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
You guys just don't get it. Companies don't get the opportunity to get a FREE 1.5 hour ad everyday. People don't remember the comments, they remember the show. With your logic the Atlanta Braves shouldn't allow WGN to broadcast Atlanta-Cubs games because the WGN commentators might make fun of Tom Glavine if he balks.

Face facts, Apple missed out here. My guess is that they don't have anything to show off right now. PowerMac inventories are backed up five weeks so they can't lauch the new model just yet. A bigger iPod is going to make most people say iDon'tCare. A 17" iMac? The 15"ers don't sell @ $1800, but a more expensive model will crowd up the Apple store in a hurry? And Applescripable iDVD. Nice, but how many consumers out there can, or, care to make Applescripts. C'mon. Apple's are for people who prefer productivity over programming. I love Apple as much as the next guy, but I'm not too optimistic about seeing any gotta have stuff at the keynote tomorrow.

dhdave

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2001
NJ
Hey! we all get to see just how cool mp4 is tomorrow! HELL YEAH! we got an early present for this years keynote!!! Apple fans are the first to check it out! Guys, this is exciting!

Copperpipe, you just made me pretty much forget about this and get hyped all over again. Thanks!! That's exactly what I needed. :)

dh

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
For those of you who saw MWNY '01 and gave up on TechTV...shut up!

The coverage for MWSF was much better. Chris Breen from MacWorld magazine sat in on the coverage and added some commentary. This year Brett Larson would have hosted it, and we all know what a big Mac fan he is (he attended the Xserve announcement for crying out loud!)

It's a huge loss that this will not be broadcast...I don't care how good a stream they can do with MPEG4 quality, it's nowhere near digital cable.

The channel as a whole is doing a lot more Mac related stories and coverage.

As always, think before you go off half-cocked!

Screamingbeaver

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2001
St. Paul, MN
TechTV did the job...

I saw it last year on TechTV and, obviously, it was a lot easier to watch than my DSL stream, or the T1 Stream at work. Who the hell cares who says what. I watched the keynote to see Jobs and Co. talk about Mac and Mac products. I could care less about the any of the idiots and naysayers bitch about. There was nobody talking over the keynote. It was better than being there, 'cause I could see close up. I Tivo'd it so I could buzz past any bulls*t

TechTV did the job. Who else would? Don't slam them repeatedly as a network, for crappy things individuals say.

Thanks
'Beaver

funkywhat2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2002
techtv may not have the best coverage, but its better than it was then they were ZDTV.

not only is apple at a loss here, but so are then fans, like myself. im 100 short of a new imac, b/c they jacked up the price mid-way. so now im stuck with this crappy linux box and no mp4, let alone quicktime.

now, if apple could develop quicktime for linux, for those of us waiting for a mac, but fed up w/ windows, id love then again. but this is total crap.

if i see steve at the soho or garden city openings, i'm gonna bitch at him so freakin harshly.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

sneed

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2002
Los Angeles
microsoft?

I wasn't lucky enough to catch the keynote in question, but despite the Vulcan connection, I would be very surprised to hear that techTV was anti-mac. A few people, maybe (there are always a few,) but the guys I worked with when they were ZDTV, and later techTV, were anything but anti-mac.

Apple must have better reason to turn away free coverage than one embarrassing event, especially considering that it wasn't the keynote wasn't the last one covered on techTV...

I sincerely hope that doesn't mean what I think it means.

Macinfriend

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
California
re-Tech TV??

Its been about 2 1/2 years since F@$%ing Adelphia removed Tech TV(Formerly ZDTV) from my analog cable and put it on the digital only tier , for which we dont subscribe. But as i recall their Macworld coverage left a lot to be desired!! I remember wishing for a freakin 1/2 hr MAC only show on the damn channel! All we get the freakin "mac tip o the day" at the end of screen savers! Well since i still dont have the channel, i was curious, is the Mac state of affairs on Tech TV still as tiny as it one was?? Did they every put a mac only show on the air?? Is the sexy Victoria Recono still an anchor babe??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.